GREATHOUSE-L Archives

Archiver > GREATHOUSE > 2001-01 > 0980700932

From: Terry Eastham <>
Subject: Re: just starting research-Eugene S. Greathouse
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 08:55:32 -0800

You can find via the internet Indian "tribal councils" that keep official
Indian "rolls". This was done in the early 1900s (maybe before?) to
divide up tribal lands/funds/govenment grants etc. and to preserve the
tribal identity. A few years ago I found a researcher who would (for $15
I think) would make searches to see if your ancestor was on the rolls. I
think I had the Creek & Pawnee rolls checked for Sarah Ann Greathouse who
married Seth Wood in 1877 in Wabash Co. Ill. --- there were in fact lots
of Greathouses on the Indan rolls but I failed to find my ancerstor
Sarah. The reason I did this was because Sarah looks a bit Indian in a
couple of very old photos and there were rumours to this effect. But I
have never found any evidence at all.
Good luck in your search.
Terry Eastham

This thread: