GREATWAR-L ArchivesArchiver > GREATWAR > 2002-03 > 1017380638
From: Iain Kerr <>
Subject: Re: [WW1] Clipstone camp
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 05:43:58 +0000
At 09:07 PM 28/03/02 +0000, Paul Ellis wrote:
> Does anyone have any information about an army training
>camp at Clipstone, Notts, during World War 1.
Clipstone Camp, near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Many temporary hutted camps were built as part of a War Office programme
between Aug 1914 and the summer of 1915 to replace and expand on the
original tented camps used in the first months of the Great
War. Accommodation for over 850,000 men was created in that programme that
was needed to house the Territorial and New Army divisions that were
recruited in the first year of the war. When those divisions deployed to
operational theatres, the camps were passed on to Dominion units arriving
from overseas or to British reserve formations and units. Some of the
original tented encampments, that the huts replaced, were retained and used
as prisoner of war camps. The majority of the hutted camps were built on
or close to existing military training areas. Some of the camps were
retained at war's end and some were revived during WWII.
Clipstone was one of those many temporary camps established to house the
vastly expanded British Army in late 1914 and early 1915. Originally a
tented camp, probably in an area of land used by the pre-war territorials
for training and camps, the tents were replaced by rows of wooden huts and
brick latrine and ablution buildings in early 1915.
Clipstone Camp when completed held upwards of 30,000 men. Men of the
University and Public Schools Brigade were the first to arrive in May
1915. Over the next four years, men of many regiments came to the area to
carry out basic and advanced training at Clipstone. The training involved
drill, fieldcraft, the creation of field defences and trenches, musketry
practice on rifle ranges constructed for that purpose and training marches
in country lanes.
Towards the end of the war women in the newly formed WAAC were stationed at
Clipstone Cam In its final years it was used as a demobilisation
camp. After the war the camp was dismantled, although some of the huts
were retained and used as homes for the first miners at the newly
established nearby colliery as well as temporary places of worship and
schools. The remaining huts were then sold, and used as village halls and
for other purposes.
Iain Kerr in Windsor, Berkshire, United Kingdom
Web Page at: http://home.clara.net/iainkerr/index.htm
RootsWeb Sponsor and Listowner for the WORLDWAR2 Mailing List.