GREATWAR-L Archives

Archiver > GREATWAR > 2004-05 > 1083485933

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: [WW1] Ships of WW1
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 09:24:52 +0100

Hi Jeff

Firstly the HMS VICTORY was then the RN Barracks at Portsmouth, now
known as HMS NELSON. I believe that VICTORY (Ship) was only used for
Admin purposes at this time.

HMS COLLINGWOOD - was launched at Devonport in 1908 ; displaced
19,250 tons, was 500 feet long, and capable of 21 knots. Her
complement was 769 officers and men. She carried thirty guns, with the
main armament of 10 twelve-inch in five turrets. Sold December 1922 -
for what is stated about her per Janes Fighting Ships for 1919 see:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Janes_1919/B_Ships/St_Vincent_Cl_58.html

I have the following brief notes for her

Aug 1914 First Battle Squadron, Home Fleet
1916 Jutland
1919 Gunnery Training Ships - Turret Drill

HMS ROXBURGH was a cruiser 10,850 ton cruiser of the Devonshire Class,
which was completed in 1913 l armament 4 x 7.5" ; 6 x 6" ; 20 x 3 pdr
notes: for Janes description see:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Janes_1919/Cruisers/Devonshire_Cl.html

12 Feb 1913 Completed to full crew at Devonport,
Aug 1914 Third Cruiser Squadron, Home Fleet
1919 For Sale.

Regards

Paul

On Sun, 2 May 2004 16:00:55 +1000, "Jeff Butler"
<> wrote:

>Hello
> Looking for information about three ships Collingwood,Victory and the
>Roxburgh ( that name is faded and hard to read )
> Regards
>

>Jeff

This thread: