GREATWAR-L Archives

Archiver > GREATWAR > 2007-09 > 1190693447

From: patrick holland <>
Subject: Re: [GREATWAR] Military Cross winners WW1
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:10:47 +0800
References: <001a01c7fc27$4529f450$cf7ddcf0$@parsons@btinternet.com><!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAHtZjfTROOJAmsH3aT/0jJDCgAAAEAAAAAgIiKaC9YRIrUOWIATvz1YBAAAAAA==@talktalk.net><013d01c7fe87$f9191880$0201a8c0@tom30b7d3752c8><000a01c7fea1$1c7b2250$8677d1d8@bill240457c4f3> <09dff3l3euut6igvcgu48mp06ff5ctdgr6@4ax.com><!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAHtZjfTROOJAmsH3aT/0jJDCgAAAEAAAAP0eagNXx6ZAqOwq6LPoJAQBAAAAAA==@talktalk.net>

Forrest says:

" He probably belongs to the school of thought which highly disapproves of the term win/winner/won when it
comes to gallantry medals. "

and Tom says:

" it was a thinly veiled insult directed at British Services Personel past / present / future - alive or deceased. "

While being overly concerned about the semantics of this topic , nobody has referred to the school of thought to which I belong which is the school that believes that to make a distinction about the quality of one man 's bravery against another's by awarding one man a military cross while another gets a military medal, based purely on the difference in their rank is despicable. It is good to see that the earlier differentiation, derived one assumes from a pathetic, upstairs downstairs, mentality of the donors towards the recipients has been amended so that nowadays all men, irrespective of their rank, are awarded a military cross and the military medal is now redundant.

I wonder if that means that the weird practice by which those who have served in the military with a rank of Captain and above are allowed to use their military rank for the rest of their civilian lives will also become redundant. The only point in it that I can see is that it perpetuates a , them and us , mentality. Sad ain't it ?

Have a nice day.

Patrick holland.

Perth, Western Australia.

J L Flemington wrote:
> Many thanks, Forrest, for clarifying the point which I was trying to make.
>
> Jim

This thread: