GREEN-L Archives

Archiver > GREEN > 1996-12 > 0852092071

Subject: GREEN-D Digest V97 #100

------------------------------

GREEN-D DigestVolume 97 : Issue 100

Today's Topics:
#1 Re: GREEN,William & Nancy: Burke C []
#2 Re: William Greene's Descendants []
#3 Re: Martha Green []
#4 First time ["Del Black" <>]
#5 COPY OFFER FROM GENEALOGY BOOK PRE []

______________________________
------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 09:44:14 -0400 (EDT)
To: ,
cc: , ,
Subject: Re: GREEN,William & Nancy: Burke Co., NC

<< William GREEN, Jr. and Nancy HORTON were married in Burke County, NC
on October 29, 1811. Does anyone have any information about this couple?
I have recently discovered that the parents of my 3rd-great
grandfather, Robert GREEN, were named William GREEN and Nancy. I have a
hunch that they could be this couple, who were married in Burke Co.
Robert GREEN was married for the second time in 1883 at the age of
70, making his birth abt. 1813. He is accounted for in Rutherford County,
NC from 1834, when he married first, to Mary (Polly) BRIDGES, until 1886
when his will was probated, also in Rutherford County, NC.
Thanks to all who may have information.

Shirley (Greene) Pittman >>
Hi Shirley,

Your message was forwarded to me by Hugh Puckett, who has been helping me
with our efforts to find the parents of William Green, born February 6, 1762
in Prince Edward County, Virginia, and his wife, Kezziah Patton, born about
1763 in Buncombe County, North Carolina. The William Mercer Green, born
about 1786 in Burke County, North Carolina that you mention in your message
was the 3rd. son of William and Kezziah Patton Green. William M. Green, Jr.
married Nancy Porter in Burke County, North Carolina on October 29, 1811 as
you indicated, and the confusion about Nancy's last name is because the
marriage bond is so difficult to read, that someone mis-read the name many
years ago, and the name "Horton" has been abstracted into many modern day
records. My cousin, Lawrence Maynard determined some years ago that her
corrects last name was Porter, and he sent his work to the North Carolina
archives, and they have agreed.

William M. and Nancy Porter Green moved to Haywood County, North Carolina
along with many of the family, as one of their son, William M. Green was born
there on November 5, 1829. This family left Haywood County, NC for Georgia
between 1831 and 1835, and ended up living in present day Carroll County,
Georgia, where they are buried near Villa Rica, Georgia in the Old Bethel
Cemetery. William Mercer Green died March 24, 1847, and Nancy Porter Green
died March 6, 1847. Both were buried in "Crypt" type graves, and only one
burial service was held for both.

The children of William M. and Nancy Porter Green were:
(1) Ambrose Green, born 1813 in Burke County, North Carolina, who married
Mariah Francis Russell.
(2) Rebecca Green, born about 1816, probably in Haywood County, North
Carolina, who married Jacob Cansler.
(3) Alexander Porter Green, born May 19, 1818 in Haywood County, NC, who
married Elizabeth Ann Chappell.
(4) Mary Elizabeth Green, born about 1820 in Haywood County, NC, who married
Hibern S. Hulsey.
(5) Nancy Green, born about 1822 in Haywood County, NC, who married Joseph
Wynn.
(6) Robert Albert "Bert" Green, born May 5, 1825 in Haywood County, NC, who
married Elizabeth Adams, born August 20, 1829 in Tennessee. They were
married January 23, 1848 in Carroll County, Georgia, and Robert died February
5, 1905 and is buried in Habersham County, Georgia in the Piney Woods
Cemetery near Draketown, Georgia. Elizabeth Adams Green died March 28, 1915
and is buried in the same cemetery. This is the only "Robert" connection I
see in this family that might connect with your Robert Green, but the second
marriage does not appear to match.
(7) Thomas Walter Green, born January 16, 1826 in Haywood County, NC, who
married Eleanor Caroline McCain.
(8) John Young "J.Y." Green, born October 16, 1831 in Haywood County, NC,
who married Margaret Janie Youngblood.
(9) Martha Isabella Green, born May 7, 1835 in Carroll County, Georgia, who
married Wiley Gould Pope.
(10) Martin Lafayette Green, born August 31, 1836 in Carroll County,
Georgia, who married Elizabeth Jiminey Wright.

Their son William M. Green, born November 5, 1829 married Sophronia Adaline
Coltharp on November 30, 1853 in Texas, and these were my great-granparents.

I hope this information helps you.

Thomas Bruce Green, III