GREEN-L Archives

#10 RE: GREEN's of "Greens Norton" (T [Thomas Green <]
#11 http://www.bright.net/~rjackson/ ["rjackson" <>]
#12 Green family of Charles City and H [ (LIN THREADGIL]
#13 Anne Green b.1837 Ireland? ["Greg" <>]
#14 AARON & JOHN GREEN ["Shirley A. Frame" <]

X-Message: #1
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 03:54:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gary Swift <>
Message-Id: <>
Subject: Cherokee GREEN family

Hello,

Is anybody on this list researching Cherokees by the name of GREEN?
I am looking for the family of Margaret GREEN:

Margaret GREEN, b. in Cherokee Strip, OK(?), m. John Woodward LOPEMAN
in Neosho, MO (d. in Lebanon, MO, son of John LOPEMAN and Jane
CROCKETT).

Notes : Margaret GREEN was a full-blooded Cherokee from Cherokee
Strip, OK. It is likely that she was b. there, as the forced
Cherokee migration (Trail of Tears) occurred in 1838 to the early
1840s, a generation before she would have been born. She may have
had a brother named Willard.

She had 3 known children :

1. Harriet C. LOPEMAN.

2. Rosa May Tennessee LOPEMAN, b. in Long Lane, MO the 2 March
1880, d. in Buffalo, MO the 26 January 1941, m. Charles Lee
SWIFT, the 1 June 1897 in Long Lane, MO (b. the 11 August 1872
in Buffalo, MO and d. the 30 August 1937 in Mindenmines, MO,
son of Willis Harlan SWIFT and Eliza Jane RAKESTRAW).

3. Lillian LOPEMAN, m. John Wesley SWIFT (b. the 13 January
1875 in Buffalo, MO and d. the 8 August 1912 in Webb City, MO,
son of Willis Harlan SWIFT and Eliza Jane RAKESTRAW).

----
Thanks,
Gary SWIFT

X-Message: #2
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 07:55:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:
cc:
Message-ID: <>
Subject: Re: William Green

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I had written to you some time ago regarding
William Greene. From the information I have, Jeremiah Green of the Jersey
Settlement never had a son named William. His children were: Richard, Isaac,
Hannah, Mary, Sarah, Jeremiah II, John and Joanna. My database indicates
that, soon after the Revolutionary War, the majority of Jeremiah's children
began moving (at different times covering 15 to 20 years) into the area of
Wilkes and later Ashe Co. that eventually became Watauga. The children who
moved were: Richard, Jeremiah II, John, Sarah and Joanna. Also my records
indicate that Jeremiah died Oct/Nov 1762 at the age of 57. My database deals
primarily with the descedants of Jeremiah Greene & Johanna "Hannah" Hunt.
There is a little info on our first ancestor, William, and his life and
children. William had a son named William (B-1702; D-1786; M-Lydia Armitage).
His other children were: Richard (D-1741; M-May Ely), Joseph, Joanna, Sarah,
Benjamin, John, Jeremiah, Isaac, Esther and Mary. The last six named were
underage when William died in 1722.

A clue for your William might be found in the following text: "William
Greene's house, built in 1717, was the first brick home in Trenton and still
stands on the campus of Trenton State University. A plaquw, placed there in
1927, indicates that this was the house of William Greene III, a soldier in
Washington's Army at the battle of Trenton and Monmouth, built be his
grandfather, William Greene in 1717". This would seem to indicate that one of
William's sons other than Jeremiah had a son named William.

As yet, I have been unable to establish that General Nathaniel Greene is
connected with my Greene's. However, I do feel it is a distinct possibility.
I'm hoping that Redell will reply to my message regarding resources and
William's house in Trenton.

Thanks again for the reply. Its nice to know that there are other
Greene's researching our many and varied lines. I'm sure that we will find
that you and I are somehow related.

X-Message: #3
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 12:03:02 -0700
From: "Gaines L. Hobbs" <>
Message-ID: <>
Subject: NC Greens
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Burke, Yancy and Cherokee counties NC...
Looking for parents of
Nancy Green b 1806 Burke Co. m. James Coffey
Silas b 1810 Burke Co. m Susan E. Mederis (sp)
William b. 1812 Burke Co. m(1) Rachel (2) Margaret Gaddes
Daniel b 1813 Burke Co. m. Ellen Mederis (sp)
Jesse b. 1818 Yancy Co.NC died 1905 Cherokee Co. NC m. Mourning Bandy b
1825 Burke Co. d 1900 resided in Monroe Co. TN 1829-1842.
Will share info...
Gaines Hobbs

X-Message: #4
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 12:21:31 -0400
From: Dave Simonds <>
To: "''" <>
Cc: "''" <>
Message-ID: <>
Subject: RE: John Reeves GREENE Adams, Jefferson Co. NY (1822 - 1898)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Ruth -

I think your Paul GREENE (as mentioned in your note below) is descended from John GREENE of Quidnesset as follows:

John GREENE m. Joan _____ (though possibly not the mother of all his children)
Benjamin GREENE m.Humility COGGESHALL
John GREENE m. Mary AYLSWORTH
Joseph GREENE m.Margaret GREENMAN (royal descent from Edward I thru CLARKE family)
Charles GREENE m. Waite BAILEY
Paul GREENE m. Nancy GARDNER

All I know of Nancy GARDNER is that her parents were William GARDNER and Esther NICHOLS.

My GREENE sources:

Frank L. Greene, Descendants of Joseph Greene, of Westerly, R.I. Albany: Joel Munsell's Sons, 1894. (an old standby - pretty good but almost no source citations)

William E. Wright, Ancestors and Descendants of William Browning Greene and Mary Hosxie Lewis with Allied Families. Baltimore: Gateway Press, Inc., 1993 (quite new and quite good - well-documented - could have pointers to other sources for you).

Best of luck with your GREENE research. Now can you help me with my Marquis/Marcus Dechois
GREEN/GREENE, also (I think) of Adams, Jefferson Co., NY?

Dave Simonds

From: [SMTP:]
Sent:Saturday, October 04, 1997 11:29 PM
Subject:John Reeves GREENE Adams, Jefferson Co. NY (1822 - 1898)

In a message dated 10/4/97 06:52:37 AM, you wrote:

I am looking for information about Paul and Nancy GARDNER GREENE, parents
of Harry GREENE (b.1819 d. 1843/44) and his brother John Reeves GREENE(b.
1822 d.1898) who both married Mary Ann CLARKE, daughter of Joshua and Jemima
Belinda STURTEVANT CLARKE

...[snip]...

Did these GREENE's originally come from Rhode Island? The CLARKE family that
they married into did originally come from Westerly and Hopkinton RI and are
descendants of Joseph CLARKE.

...[snip]...

X-Message: #5
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 11:40:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:
Message-Id: <>
Subject: Green families in Butler County, Ohio
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; name=""

Looking for researchers interested in Butler County, Ohio Greens. Henry
Green born in New Jersey, father probably was Joseph Green who also went to
Butler County. Henry married Catherine Ross in Butler County November 19,
1807. She was a daughter of John and Mary Elizabeth Ross of Ruffs Creek,
Morgan Township, Greene County, PA and was in Butler County living with her
brother, John and Christena Conrad Ross and her sisters Sarah Ross Parker
(Isaac) and Elizabeth Ross Haines (Hindes) (James).
Henry had Francis G. Green who married an Elizabeth Ross and moved to
Edgar County, Illinois. Also had Jacob who married Sarah Jane ? and moved to
Edgar County, Illinois. Had an Ora E. Green. Also had a Marmaduke Green who
I think went to Iowa and Coloradao. How many Marmaduke Greens can there be?
Looking for data on these Greens and on other children of Henry and
Catherine.

Ray

Raymond R. Ross, M.D., FACP
13281 Bow Place
Santa Ana, CA 92705-2054
Phone and Fax: (714) 838-4278
e-mail:

X-Message: #6
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 12:39:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:
cc: , , ,

Message-ID: <>
Subject: Re: William Green & Joanna Reeder

In a message dated 97-10-05 08:25:56 EDT, writes:

<< A clue for your William might be found in the following text: "William
Greene's house, built in 1717, was the first brick home in Trenton and still
stands on the campus of Trenton State University. A plaquw, placed there in
1927, indicates that this was the house of William Greene III, a soldier in
Washington's Army at the battle of Trenton and Monmouth, built be his
grandfather, William Greene in 1717". This would seem to indicate that one
of
William's sons other than Jeremiah had a son named William.

As yet, I have been unable to establish that General Nathaniel Greene
is
connected with my Greene's. However, I do feel it is a distinct possibility.
I'm hoping that Redell will reply to my message regarding resources and
William's house in Trenton.

Hi Robert Green,

Did I get the name correct? I do remember us discussing the possible
connections of my William Green to your line. I guess I just can't quit
hoping someone will be able to show me the connection of the Jeremiah Green
line to my William Green. I have a larger file for Jeremiah Green than any
other "non-related" family! I have list of all William and Joanna Reeder
Green's children, and grandchildren where they are available. I do show some
William Greens as grandchildren, but have not been able to connect them to my
William Green. As you are aware Joanna Reeder Green did have one son named
William Green, born 1702 who married Lydia Armitage, and died in 1784, and
had a son named William Green, born in 1743 who married Phebe Moore, and died
in 1815. This is a possibility for the parents of my William Green, born
Feb. 6, 1762, but I have not found any connection.

Son Richard Green, born about 1697 who married Mary Ely had a son named
William Green, but I show he died in 1754 at the age of 19. Another possible
parent in this line is the William R. Green who married Elizabeth Burroughs,
the son of Richard Green, who married Phebe Moore. I also show that Rebecca
Green, a daughter of Richard and Phebe Moore Green, that married a William B.
Green. I don't have dates on these Greens, I would appreciate any data you
can provide on these Greens, so I can either confirm or eliminate these as
possible parents of my William Green, born Prince Edward County, Virginia on
February 6, 1762.

I also show a William A. Green who married Catherine Moore, as the son of
Samuel "The Devil Sam" Green who married Mary Perrine. Sam Green was the son
of William and Phebe Moore Green, but again, I don't have dates on these
people so I can confirm or eliminate them as possible parents of my William
Green.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! I have one last name
to pass along. I show the father of William Green born about 1660 in
England, that married Joanna Reeder, to have been Richard Green from Long
Island. Do you have simular information? If you can connect with Surgeon
John Green, I can provide the connection to General Nathaniel Green.

Stay in touch!

Tom Green

X-Message: #7
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 12:59:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:
To: ,
cc: ,
Message-ID: <>
Subject: Re: Some EARLY Greene Family History

Hi George L. Green,

I thought your sumary of the Green history was GREAT! In fact, you covered
almost everything of importance one could be interested in about the early
Greens.

You mentioned the wealth of the early Greens in England, and I have seen that
the Green family was the largest land owner in England at one time! I think
that the fact that Alexander de Boketon was buried on the old estate near
Boughton is why it was assumed he was the original Green. Maybe he was, and
the name Green had not been taken by the family at that time. Maybe the
Green name came later as a change from a previous name. Who knows!

The other point I like to make sure people know about our family is that the
be-heading of Sir Henry Green in 1399 is written up in Shakespear's Richard
II. This was a sad chapter in English history, and the king was away
fighting in Ireland, again, and Sir Henry Greene was trying to same the 8
year old queen by taking her to Bristol Castle because it was the safest
place, and the King's cousin bribed the Captain of the Bristol Palace Guard
to gain access. The cousin was after Sir Henry Green because he had
supported the King when he conficated all his cousin's land and kicked him
out of the country.

I also like to relay that Katherine Parr, whose mother was a Green, was the
only wife of King Henry VIII to survive! The story of her last months as his
wife are very interesting reading! Henry VIII had signed her execution order
at one point, but she was so persuasive in her discussion with the King, that
he tore up the execution order, and never questioned her again. She was with
him at his death.

I would love to have a copy of the history of the Green family that I am sure
you have written! I will trade you a copy of mine for a copy of yours!

Later,

Tom Green

X-Message: #8
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 15:06:38 -0400
From: (Darrel R. Bell)
Message-ID: <>
Subject: Thomas Green
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

This my first inquiry to Green-L, I am trying to locate information
regarding a Thomas Green, birth unknown and death unknown. He was
married to a Sarah Adams. They moved from Georiga, place unknown, to
Hamilton County, Florida in the early to mid 1870's. Anyone with with
any information that would assist me would be appreciated.

Darrel Bell

X-Message: #9
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 17:23:53 -0500
From: Eileen B Sumner <>
Message-ID: <>
Subject: GREENs of BALDWIN COUNTY, GA
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Anyone researching Greens of Baldwin County, Georgia. I have a ggg
grandmother Mirmiam Green born 1823 married to William Babb.
Eileen Babb Sumner

X-Message: #10
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 16:22:33 -0500
From: Thomas Green <>
To: "'Jeanette K. Howell'" <>
Cc: "" <>
Message-ID: <>
Subject: RE: GREEN's of "Greens Norton" (The complete Bio)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Following is the complete biographical that I posted "in part" a
couple of days ago. The new stuff is between the ****.
Didn't mean to "shortchange" anyone, but I work 12 hour
shifts.
Tom Green, Minnesota
---------------

I happen to be a rector of the parish of Green's Norton,
Northamptonshire, England. In the parish church are several mutilated
tombs belonging to the family of "Green", who for six generations
between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries were the lords of this
manor. The first Sir Henry Green was Lord Chief Justice of England
***about the end of the 13th century; the last Sir Thomas Green
was the father of Maud Green, who married Sir Thomas Parr, of
Kendal, Westmoreland, and was mother of Kate Parr, Queen of
England by marriage with Henry VIII.
The only information I can arrive at by inquiry from the
oldest inhabitant of this parish about the descendants of the
Green family is that many years ago a gentleman from America
(my informant mentions Boston doubtfully) came to this church,
presumably to inspect the beautiful tombs and brasses belonging
to the Green family.*******
We are about to undertake the re-arrangement of the church.
I write to you to know if it is within the limits of your rules as editor to
allow this letter to appear in your columns, as perhaps some members
of the family of Green would wish to have a voice in the disposal of the
effigies which still remain as witnesses of their wealth and position.
I may add that I am "a constant reader" of your paper, and
occasional contributor thereto.Yours Sincerely,
S. Beal, D. C. L.
The Rectory, Green's Norton, Towchester,
England, September 29, 1888

----------
From: Jeanette K. Howell[SMTP:]
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 1997 7:52 AM
To: 'Thomas Green'
Subject: RE: GREEN's of "Greens Norton" England

Hi Thomas!

If you have the information, please fill in the part about the "...........more of the Green History".
Probably everyone on the list would like to see it if it is not too much trouble for you.
Thank you for sharing with us!

Jeanette

X-Message: #11
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:53:51 -0400
From: "rjackson" <>
Cc: <>, <>,
<>, <>
Message-Id: <>
Subject: http://www.bright.net/~rjackson/
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Please check out this site and let me know if you recognize any of the
Jackson's on the page, it is under construction, not a lot there, I hope to
add more soon.

Thanks,
RJ

Surname List: JACKSON, OSBORNE, COX, SIMPSON , GREEN(e), SLUSHER, MILLER,
MIRACLE , NEWMAN, STEWART-KY/VA/TN

X-Message: #12
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:50:21 -0700
From: (LIN THREADGILL)
Message-Id: <>
Subject: Green family of Charles City and Henrico Counties,1850
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT

Hi, I am looking for any GREEN family connections in the Charles
City/Henrico County and surrounding area during the middle 1800s. Any
information at all would be appreciated.

Linda

X-Message: #13
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 18:32:05 -0700
From: "Greg" <>
To: "Green" <>
Message-Id: <>
Subject: Anne Green b.1837 Ireland?
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

This is what I've been able to find on my Greene family.
Anyone able to connect this Line? or any leads?

Thanks very much.

Greg

John Greene possibly from London, but while in Ireland, had...
Anne Greene b. 1837 Ireland, had at least 2 sisters.
Anne married Stillman Grandy, Feb 26 1867 Wayne Co. NY

X-Message: #14
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 06:12:08 -0400
From: "Shirley A. Frame" <>
Message-ID: <>
Subject: AARON & JOHN GREEN
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Can anyone help me solve a 30 year mystery with my two GREENS? Aaron
and
John GREEN were probably cousins and seem to travel somewhat the same
path
from Virginia to Texas. Who were their parents? What was their
relationship?
Census tells me that they were both born in Virginia. Some in the
family say that Aaron's name was John Aaron GREEN - but the census and
land papers all
list him as Aaron/Aron GREEN. Their wives were probably cousins, Mary
West
LITTLEPAGE was probably the daughter of Thomas and Sarah/Sally HURT
LITTLEPAGE and Nancy Ann was probably the daughter of William and
Susan/Sukey SMITH LITTLEPAGE. Aaron GREEN and his family were in Tyler
Co., TX by Dec 1837 and John GREEN and his family were there by 1842.

Aaron GREENJohn GREEN

Mar. Mary West LITTLEPAGE1819 AL Mar. Nancy Ann LITTLEPAGE
date unknown In Madison Co.
AL son-Bolen born
son- Benjamin F. born1840 TX
1842 TX son-Benjamin F. born
twins-Nancy E. & Mary W. born1843 TX son-Leams West born
1844 TX daug-Amanda E. born
1846 TX daug-Rosilas born
1848 TX John marries Mrs. Sarah Parks

If anyone recognizes any of the above, please contact me.

Thank you in advance.