GREENWAY-L Archives

Archiver > GREENWAY > 2006-02 > 1139700556

Subject: Greenway Familly, Kinsale, Cork. Ireland.
Date: 11 Feb 2006 16:29:16 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/4Ag.2ACEB/256

Message Board Post:

Thomas, James and James Joseph Greenway.

Seirbis onorac sa Muir-tractala na hÉireann 1939-46

[Service with honour in the Irish Mercantile Marine 1939-46]

Thomas Greenway, S.S. Daybreak (West Hartlepool), Mercantile Marine, who died age 47, on 24th December 1917, has been remembered with honour on the Seirbis onorac sa Muir-tractala na hÉireann 1939-46 [Service with honour in the Irish Mercantile Marine 1939-46] Internet based monument.

His brother, boatswain James Greenway, SS Tregenna (St. Ives). Merchant Navy, died on the 17th September 1940. Age 62. Both men, children of the late James and Mary Greenway of Kinsale, Irish Republic, lost their lives during enemy torpedo attacks by U-boats, in separate World Wars. James Greenway (WWII) has been added to the monument.

The site honours those whom Irish history does not commemorate and is dedicated to those who perished during World War II. (‘Their sailing hath endeth’). A tribute to Thomas Greenway (WWI) is not only recognition for another Kinsale / Irish hero, along with his brother James and those other souls that have ‘crossed the bar’ but is also a tribute to Thomas and all Irish seamen who perished in the first Great War. The fact that the monument is a tribute to these Second World War heroes, shows a great respect for the Irish men and boys of World War One, who died to save us all.

Remembered also by the family, James Joseph Greenway, his sailing endeth tragically , in 1938, FRANCE. Family, remain in Kinsale, London, Barry and Swansea, Wales.

Thomas Greenway and James Greenway, sons of James and Mary Greenway of Kinsale, Co. Cork. Southern Ireland. And James Joseph Greenway, also of Kinsale and Barry. South Wales.

Lest We Forget

REMEMBERED WITH HONOUR.

Merchant Navy

Sons of Ireland, HEROES THAT HAVE CROSSED THE BAR
THEY HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE, BUT THE SEA.

GREENWAY Boatswain, James, S.S. Tregenna (St. Ives). Merchant Navy. 17th September 1940. Age 62. Son of the late James and Mary Greenway of Kinsale, Irish Republic. Panel 110. Also remembered: Boatswain, THOMAS GREENWAY, S.S. Daybreak (West Hartlepool), Mercantile Marine who died age 47, on 24th December 1917. Remembered with Honour

Greenways of Kinsale.

James and Mary Greenway, of Kinsale.

My father always knew of James and Mary, of Kinsale, but nothing of any family before them. It is only in more recent years that he has found that he still has links in Kinsale. We now visit Southern Ireland annually. With more access to and knowledge found on the Internet, we know more than ever before, this still amounts to very little.

Early advice pointed us in the direction of www, familysearch.org and although dates confused us, in comparison to what we did have, we were able to connect and confirm : James Greenway ( To ease confusion we refer to him as senior ) and Mary, were the parents of Thomas and James ( To ease confusion we refer to him as junior ).

An Irish gentleman, gave us some data that he had collated, with regard to his own family and this information assisted us with a little Greenway Family knowledge. Some more has been gained from remnants of memories, this aided the compilation of our History as we now know it, although many gaps remain.

James Grinaway, Greenway. A Kinsale Fisherman.
Mary Sheehan.

Children :

Mary Greenaway, Born : 29th November 1865, Kinsale.
Thomas Grinaway, Born : 14th December 1868, Cork.
*Magaret Greenway, Born : 21st May 1871, Cork.
**James Greenway. Jnr, Born : 13th September 1873, Cork.

Ellen, HAS BEEN MENTIONED BUT NOT CONFIRMED.

Masie, HAS BEEN MENTIONED BUT NOT CONFIRMED.
Although, we have a date of death of 12th December 1928.

*Mararet, may have married Jack Aherne.

**James Greenway. Jnr, married Ann Veakins.

Thomas, Died : 28th September 1938.
Nora / Hanora, ( his wife ) Died : 17TH November 1915.

Thomas and Nora / Hanora, had children :

Mary, *Nora
and James Joseph ( 01/01/1907 – 28/09/1938 )

*Nora, Emigrated to Australia, C. 1947, with Bill Davies.
They married and had children. ( Daughters : Doreen, Pat and Dot and sons : Graham and Barry ).

James Joseph married Elizabeth Daisy Trewicks, Barry, South Wales.
They had children :

James Thomas ( 1933 ) Joyce ( 1935 ) and Maureen ( 1938 )

Information is sought also on : Elizabeth Greenway, Born Kinsale, Ireland 1869.

Parents : John Greenaway,Greenway, of Gosport. And Fanny C. Greenway,
of Kensington. Sons : William, Frederick I, Benjamin, Robert G, Peter A, Albert A.

Residing in Woolich, Kent. ( Census 1881 )

The Greenway Family of Kinsale.

James Greenway, Son of James Greenway and Mary Sheehan.
Brother to Thomas, Mary and Magaret.
Married : Ann Veakins at Kinsale Roman Catholic Church.

Children : Augustine ( Gussy ) and Pearl ( Monica ).
Augustine : married Nora Madden.
Pearl married : Patrick O’Connor.

Irish Examiner, Family Notices : In Memorial.

O'CONNOR, Pearl (GREENWAY)
Ballinacubby, Kinsale and Streatham, London. England;

O'CONNOR (Kinsale and London): On January 9, 2004, peacefully, at home, PEARL (nee Greenway), widow of the late Paddy O'Connor, Millstreet, only sister of the late Gus Greenway, dearly loved mother of Gerard and Denise, beloved grandmother and great-grandmother. Deeply regretted by her son Gerard, daughter Denise, daughter-in- law Philomena, son-in-law Brendan, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nephews, nieces, in-laws, relatives and a wide circle of family and friends. RIP. Cortege arriving at Carmelite Friary, Kinsale on this (Thursday) evening at 6.30pm approx. Requiem Mass on tomorrow (Friday) at 12 noon. Funeral afterwards to The Abbey Cemetery.
Ar dheis D go raibh a hanan dilis.

O'CONNOR (Kinsale and Streatham, London): On January 9, 2004, peacefully, at home, surrounded by her loving and much beloved family, PEARL (nee Greenway ), 37 Prentis Road, Streatham, late of Fisher Street and Ballinacubby, Kin sale, widow of the late Paddy O'Connor, to the inexplicable sorrow of her large adoring family, especially her son Gerard and daughter Denise. Funeral arrangements later. Enquiries to Gabriel and O'Donovan's Funeral Home. Thy will be done.

RIP.

NORA GREENWAY (nee Madden), widow of Augustine. September 26, 2004.

GREENWAY (Kinsale): On September 26, 2004, peacefully, at home, in the loving care of her family and carers, NORA (nee Madden), widow of Gussie, following a long illness, lightly borne, loving mother of Brendan, Senan, Cyril, Kieran, Declan, Gerard and Tony. Deeply regretted by her sons, sister Frances, brothers Paddy and Peadar, daughters-in-law, sisters-in- law, grandchildren, great- grandchildren, nephews, nieces, grandnephews, grandnieces, relatives, carers, kind neighbours and friends. Requiem Mass in St John the Baptist Church, Kinsale. Funeral afterwards to St Eltin's Cemetery. Thy will be done.

RIP.

This thread: