GRIERSON-L Archives

Archiver > GRIERSON > 2003-03 > 1046882429

From: David Grierson <>
Subject: Re: SOME TIDBITS
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:25:02 -0500
References: <000e01c2e2b6$eb32dea0$4709f640@computer><v04220800ba8b0ffc2684@[208.10.125.151]><007601c2e2bb$ae5d3160$4709f640@computer><v04220802ba8b1aa3a7d0@[208.10.124.133]><00d001c2e2c3$992787c0$4709f640@computer><v04220802ba8b28d51343@[208.10.124.44]><013301c2e2cf$182e7280$4709f640@computer><v04220803ba8b38afcd5b@[208.10.124.44]><017901c2e2d8$561930e0$4709f640@computer><v04220800ba8b4e482863@[208.10.124.44]><001c01c2e305$3d934b00$4709f640@computer>

Irene McLeod & others:

Here is the source below for the Bargatton Farm Griersons, very interesting...

David

>This came from the Somerset County [NEW JERSEY] Historical Quarterly
>Vol I p.203 Vol. 1 did not show the editor, but the other two
>listed: Editor A. Van Doren Honeyman Plainfield, NJ 1917.
>
>A record tracing the ancestors of Somerset families who mostly
>emigrated from Scotland (It was Somerset, NJ,)
>
>This is a brief description of the county then:
>The County formerly embraced much more to the south of it than now,
>including all of present New Brunswick, and all of Princeton to the
>north of Nassau street, and in these places, as well as others in
>the County, there were stirring deeds of grand men in the olden
>days. This County was also the scene of some of the earliest
>immigrations from Holland, England, Scotland and Germany, after the
>short-lived Dutch government of New Amsterdam (New York City) and
>Brooklyn had come to an end, and this stock was among the best the
>world then possessed.

>"This leads us to the fifth theory of the origin of the name: that
>it is a Scotch name. Of this there is no doubt. A few years ago my
>attention was called to the fact that in the Scotch book called "The
>Standard Bearer," by Rev. S. R. Crockett, mention was made of the
>"Clachan of Pluckamin," and the "Four Roads of Pluckemin." Obtaining
>Mr. Crockett's address, I wrote to him, asking whether Pluckemin was
>a real place in Scotland, whether it was ancient, whether he could
>trace any connection between it and our village, and whether he
>could give me the derivation of the name. In due time came the
>following reply:
>
>'Your letter, which has just reached me, is most interesting.
>Pluckamin was a small hamlet near the village of Laurieston, in
>Galloway, near which I was born. There is now only one house (and
>that a cot house) at Pluckamin, which is upon the Farm of Bargatton,
>formerly held by the Griersons, who emigrated from Pluckamin to the
>United States about the year 1708. I understood, however, that they
>went to Virginia, but of course that may be a mistake. They were
>Reformed Presbyterians. I can not tell you at present the meaning of
>the word, but the ancient name of the village of Laurieston at the
>time when the Griersons emigrated from Pluckamin was Clachanpluck, I
>believe because it was (and is) situated at the centre of the County.

I have been to Pluckemin. I find that it is spelt both with an "e"
and with an "a;" the country people pronounce it with an "a." It was
a farm town and probably never contained more than half-a-dozen small
thatched houses. Only two of these are now extant, though done up in
a much more modern fashion. The name has certainly been used within
my own memory with a certain contempt in opposition to the larger
village of Clachanpluck about two miles distant. As to derivation,
one of the commonest names in the neighborhood is Macminn, of which
the old form was A'Minn, like 'A'Milligan,' but this of course is a
mere possibility. I still think it is likely that the Griersons may
have taken with them a considerable number of their dependants, not
necessarily of their own name. Certainly that these two are the only
known instances of the name in the world is a very curious fact.' "

SURNAME INTERESTS; All Variations of Grierson, Grier, Greer, Grear,
Greear, McGreer, McGrier & O'Greer in a Class-A, One-Name Study.
Recently finished, Scottish Wills dated from January 15th, 1550 -
Dec. 11, 1901 on Griersons, Griers, Greers.

This thread: