GRIERSON-L Archives

Archiver > GRIERSON > 2006-10 > 1159734645

From: "DavidGrierson~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ David" <>
Subject: [GRIERSON] David Alexander Grierson, & others
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:30:45 +0000

Hi:

Does anyone have a clue about this family, please post. If you read the
Genforum under Grierson, you will find the answer to several of the
questions, especially concerning that of David Alexander Grierson, who died
young, they are posted there, and were recently taken from the Tombstone in
PRIMUS 38, Sir James Moncrieff Grierson's family there.

David
As of September 2006.

FIRST GENERATION

1. David GRIERSON.

Other people interested in Grierson Family.
<>
Jean Whimp <>

descended from Anne Ross Grierson 1794
Hi Georgia
Thanks for your email; it was good to hear from you. We're obviously
researching the same family, though our interests are in different branches
of it. It looks as though we have been covering much the same ground, as our
notes are pretty similar.
I did have some contact with a woman in Scotland who said one of the
problems with the Griersons is that there were two distinct families in
Ruthwell, without any obvious link between them. I think the Scottish naming
system is often a good clue as to whether you've got the right lot or not.
I can't add much to your research, but hope this little bit will help.

An inscription on a tombstone in Ruthwell churchyard. "James Grierson d 10
Dec 1733 aged 75 years. b c1658. Margaret Cloor his spouse. James Grierson
in Turnshawhead, Annan +++ (Stone renewed 1839 by Rev James Grierson,
Minister of Errol).

I don't know what or where Turnshawhead is. I assume these are James
Grierson's great-grandparents - they'd be too old to be David Grierson's
parents. I have another James Grierson 1698-1751, m Margaret Murray, who I
think may be the missing layer between the couple on the gravestone and
David Grierson, but I don't have the evidence yet.
Also from another Ruthwell tombstone: "Annie Ross Grierson, d Clarencefield
22 Oct 1861"

I have George Moncrieff Grierson's death certificate.:

1806 in Partick, Lanark. George Moncrieff Grierson, Linen Merchant, married
to Allison Lyon Walker, 1 Atholl Gardens (??illegible) Glasgow. Father:
James Grierson, Free Church Minister, deceased. Mother: Margaret Grierson,
MS Moncrieff, deceased. Cause of death and duration of disease:
Intra-thoracic tumour - 4 months. Congestion of lungs. The informant was his
son - the signature could be J M Grierson -

there's something very tiny scribbled beneath the signature, and partly
crossed out. It looks like '??? artillery'. Would this be the General James
M Grierson maybe?

David James Grierson, son of Rev James, born 1827 died 11/07/1829.
I also have a David Alexander, b 1869 to Allison and George Grierson.
My own problem is tracing the birth of Susan Dickie. Her death certificate
on 12/02/1915, Ruthwell, describes her as 'widow of Thomas Macdougal,
railway surfaceman. Illegitimate. Mother Ann Ross Grierson. Informant SC
Macdougal, son. I've looked through all the records in scotlandspeople for
either a Susan Dickie or Susan Grierson, but without luck. Maybe her uncle
the Rev James baptised her without registering it, because of the shame?
Anyway, I'd be very grateful if you find any reference to that branch of the
family, if you let me know. For my part, I'll keep my eyes open for
Allison's family, and report back to you.

Thanks again for writing, and for enclosing the information. It's good to be
in touch with someone researching the same family. By the way - what is your
connection to the Griersons?

Speak to you soon
Lesley

George Grierson.
I would like to hear further from you as well:

------------
Hello:

I would just like to inform you that I will posting new details on this
family very soon. I have finally......found the resting place of (Lt.-Gen.)
(Sir) James Moncrieff Grierson and his three siblings. It was NOT easy. I
spent quiet a few hours researching the issue here in Glasgow, Scotland,
knowing that they were interred at the Glasgow Necropolis was not very
helpful. I had to do some praying, and got plenty of help ...first from 20
Trongate, the Bereavement Center, and I then ran into someone at the Glasgow
Cathedral, after not having been successful on the grave hunt, it was
monument number 38...but, stop! in what section.......no one understood
that, not even me...It is in PRIMUS.......A-Z....Primus Section, grave
marker number 38.....don't lose that information.....it was hard come
by.....

then it took several more hours of calls and others who were intimated
involved and interested to pin point the exact location of the
graves............they are fully interred there...not ashes, one on top of
the other....Sir James and three of his siblings and there is a memorial
marker as well......

David A.M. Grierson
Glasgow, Scotland
David GRIERSON and Elspeth DICKINSON had the following children:

+2i.REV. James GRIERSON (born about 1791).
+3ii.Anne Ross GRIERSON (born in Nov 1794).

SECOND GENERATION

2. REV. James GRIERSON1 was born about 1791 in Ruthwell, Dumfries,
Scotland. He was a Minister od Free Church in 1819 in Errol,
Perth.Scotland.. Rev. James Grierson (1791 - 1875)
The minister of Errol, who often assisted M'Cheyne in Communion seasons at
St Peter's, along with Andrew Bonar and Robert MacDonald.
He also was a native of Ruthwell, Dumfriessshire. Licensed by presb. of
Stirling 1816. Ordained in Errol 1819. In 1843 (the year of the Disruption)
he became minister of Free Church, Errol. He became Moderator of the Free
Church General Assembly 18 May 1854. DD Edinburgh, 25 March 1854. His
published works include the following:

"Believers reminded of the Increasing Nearness of their Salvation": a sermon
[on Rom. xiii. 11] preached in the Old Church of Errol, on March 10th, 1833;
being the Sabbath when divine worship was observed in it for the last time.
Edinburgh, Perth, 1833.

"A doctrinal and practical treatise on the Lord's Supper", Edinburgh, 1839.

"Speech ... on proposing Resolutions regarding the Marnoch case and the
independence of the Church ... at the Presbytery of Perth.", Perth, 1840.

"Voices from the cross: or, The words uttered by our Lord during the hours
of his crucifixion", Edinburgh, 1855.
Second edition,. revised and much enlarged. Edinburgh, London, 1867.

"Heaven on Earth: or, Interviews with the risen Saviour, including his
Ascension", Edinburgh, 1856.

"Earthly and heavenly things ... or, The truths unfolded by Our Lord in his
interview with Nicodemus", Edinburgh, 1859.

"The Lord's Supper; its significance, ... A new edition. With numerous
additions and improvements", Edinburgh, 1865.

"The divine suppliant and intercessor; or, Our Lord's intercessory prayer",
Edinburgh, 1867.

"Scenes and interviews with the risen Saviour: including his ascension.
Being a sequel to the 'Voices from the cross'", Edinburgh, 1869 (2nd ed.).

mailto:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/d.haslam/mccheyne/friends.htm#Grierson

He died on 3 Apr 1875 in Errol, Perth.Scotland..

Notes. "[Year 1876]: GRIERSON, Margaret Moncrieff or, Confirmation of
MARGARET
MONCRIEFF or GRIERSON, widow of Rev. James Grierson, DD, Minister, Free
Church, Errol, who died 3[rd] April 1875, at Errol, testate, granted at
Perth, to Alexander Moncrieff, WS, Perth, GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON,
Merchant, Glasgow, John Wilson Jamieson, Accountant, Bank of Scotland,
Perth, William Milne, Manufacturer there, Thomas Rogers Kinmount, Banker,
Errol and David Salmond, Farmer, Mains of Errol, Executors nominated in Will
or Deed, dated, 14 September, 1869 and Codicil dated 26 February 1873 and
recorded with other Writs in Court Books of Commissariot of Perth, 10 April
1876. Value of Estate L89 17s." He was a Minister, of Errol, Scotland.1
NOTE: A Robert Grierson.Covenanter, shot to death at Balmaclellan 1685

He was married to Margaret MONCRIEFF (daughter of George MONCRIEFF and Janet
LYON) on 6 Mar 1822 in Perth, Perth. Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JAMES GRIERSON Male Family
Marriages:
Spouse: MARGARET MONCRIEFF Family
Marriage: 02 MAR 1822 Errol, Perth, Scotland
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M113517 1819 - 1857 1040080 Film 6900660 Film

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JAMES GRIERSON Male Family
Marriages:
Spouse: MARGARET MONCRIEFF Family
Marriage: 06 MAR 1822 Perth, Perth, Scotland
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M119487 1659 1040163 Film 6902073 Film
M119487 1689 - 1702 1040163 Film NONE
M119487 1820 - 1822 1040163 Film NONE

Margaret MONCRIEFF1 was born about 1792 in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. She
died in 1875.1 She was christened 12/6 & 12/7/1792 in Perth, Perthshire,
Scotland.2

REV. James GRIERSON and Margaret MONCRIEFF had the following children:

4i.Jessie Moncrieff GRIERSON3 was born on 21 Dec 1822 in Errol,
Perthshire, Scotland. FHL Film 0203530 / GRO Ref Volume 453 / EnumDist 6 /
Page 5 She was christened on 26 Jan 1823 in Errol, Perthshire, Scotland.4
She never married in 1881 in St.Andrews, Fife Scotland.. She appeared on
the census in 1881 in 2 St.Mary's Place, St.Andrews. FIFE. Scotland.

1881 Census.Dwelling:2 St Marys Place
Census Place:St Andrews, Fife, Scotland
Source:FHL Film 0203530 GRO Ref Volume 453 EnumDist 6 Page 5
MarrAgeSexBirthplace
Jane M. LYONU50 FSt Andrews, Fife, Scotland
Rel:Head
Jessie M. GRIERSONU58 FErrol, Perth, Scotland
Rel:Visitor
Catherine BRAIDU25 FNewport
Rel:Servant
Occ:(Servant)
Margaret RITCHIEU18 FAuchterarder
Rel:Servant
Occ:(Servant)

She died after 3 Apr 1881.

+5ii.Elizabeth Ann GRIERSON (born on 9 Oct 1825).
6iii.David James GRIERSON1 was born on 29 Jun 1827 in Errol, Perthshire,
Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
DAVID JAMES GRIERSON Male
Birth: 29 JUN 1827
Christening: 15 JUL 1827 Errol, Perth, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES GRIERSON Family
Mother: MARGARET MONCRIEFF
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C113516 1819 - 1854 1040070 Film 6900659 Film

He was christened on 15 Jul 1827 in Errol, Perthshire, Scotland.4He
died on 11 Jul 1829.1 No sign of this fellow on the 1881 census. Could he
have died before then.

+7iv.George Moncrieff GRIERSON (born on 7 May 1829).
8v.Margaret Jane Jamima GRIERSON1 was born on 21 Feb 1831 in Errol,
Perthshire, Scotland. FHL Film 0203513 / GRO Ref Volume 387 / EnumDist 37 /
Page 6 She was born about Mar 1831 in Errol, Perth.Scotland..

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
MARGARET JANE JAMIMA GRIERSON Female
Birth: 21 FEB 1831
Christening: 27 MAR 1831 Errol, Perth, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES GRIERSON Family
Mother: MARGARET MONCRIEFF
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C113517 1825 - 1854 1040080 Film 6900659 Film

She was christened on 27 Mar 1831 in Errol, Perthshire, Scotland.4
She died on 21 Mar 1891.1
9vi.James Kinloch GRIERSON1 was born on 24 Feb 1834 in Errol,
Perth.Scotland..

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JAMES KINLOCH GRIERSON Male
Birth: 24 FEB 1834
Christening: 23 MAR 1834 Errol, Perth, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES GRIERSON Family
Mother: MARGARET MONCRIEFF
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C113517 1825 - 1854 1040080 Film 6900659 Film
He was christened on 23 Mar 1834 in Errol, Perthshire, Scotland.4 He
died on 30 Mar 1834.1 No sign of this fellow on the 1881 Census.

+10vii.James Lyon Maxwell GRIERSON (born on 20 Nov 1835).

Anne Ross GRIERSON was born in Nov 1794 in Ruthwell, Dumfries, Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
ANNE ROSS GRIERSON Female
Christening: 22 NOV 1794 Ruthwell, Dumfries, Scotland
Parents:
Father: DAVID GRIERSON Family
Mother: ELSPETH DICKSON
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C118462 1723 - 1820 1067970, 0102331 Film 6901400 Film

I have this family in my tree. My ggrandfather was David Grierson
Macdougal, born c1855 Dumfries. His mother was Susan Dickie, the
illegitimate daughter of Annie Ross Grierson, born c1794 in Ruthwell
Dumfries. Annie's parents were David Grierson c1748 and Elspeth/Elizabeth
Dickson both from Dumfries. Annie's brother was the Rev James Grierson
married to Margaret Moncrieff. One of James Grierson's sons was George
Moncrieff Grierson.
Lesley...Ancestry Member 1126
replied May 6

Hi Georgia
I'm still a bit groggy-eyed, having been up most of the night watching the
election results. It's good to hear from you. I assume from the address
you're in Australia? I'm in Surrey, UK.
I've only been researching my family since the beginning of this year, and
find it quite exciting and amazing that the relatives have spread so far.
I probably don't know as much as you do about the Griersons, but if there's
anything I can help you with, I'll be only too glad. As I said on the site
I'm part of the Grierson family via Annie Ross Grierson's illegitimate
daughter Susan Dickie. I can't find any record of the child's birth, though
mother and daughter were living together in the 1851 census. I imagine the
birth caused quite a stir in the family, what with her brother being a
Reverend and all that. I wish there were some clues to her father. Susan's
son David Grierson Macdougal was my g grandfather, a chemist, who moved to
Hull with the family sometime before the 1901 census.
I'll be delighted to hear what you know. I've come to the end of the
statutory records, and would love a few new pointers. I'd particularly like
to hear a bit more about the Reverend James Grierson, and the church he set
up in Errol. So any info you have will be gratefully received. I wonder -
are we distant cousins?
Hope to hear from you soon. Have a good day.
Best wishes
Lesley
<>

Anne Ross GRIERSON had the following children:

+11i.Susan DICKIE.

THIRD GENERATION
Elizabeth Ann GRIERSON1 was born on 9 Oct 1825 in Errol, Perthshire,
Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
ELIZABETH ANNE GRIERSON Female
Birth: 09 OCT 1825
Christening: 31 OCT 1825 Errol, Perth, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES GRIERSON Family
Mother: MARGARET MONCRIEFF
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C113516 1819 - 1854 1040070 Film 6900659 Film

She was christened on 31 Oct 1825 in Errol, Perthshire, Scotland.4 She
appeared on the census in 1881 in 143 Nethergate, Dundee, Forfar, Scotland.
She died on 24 Nov 1891.1

She was married to John CHALMERS on 5 Feb 1857 in Errol, Perth, Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JOHN CHALMERS Male Family
Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH ANNE GRIERSON Family
Marriage: 05 FEB 1857 Errol, Perth, Scotland
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M113511 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

John CHALMERS1 was born about 1829 in Markinch, Fife, Scotland. FHL Film
0203479 / GRO Ref Vol 282-1 / EnDist 1 / Page 57 He was a Chemist in 1881
in Dundee, Forfar, Scotland.. He resided 143 Nethergate, in 1881 in Dundee,
Angus, Scotland. He appeared on the census in 1881 in 143 Nethergate,
Dundee, Forfar, Scotland.5

1881 CensusDwelling:143 Nethergate
Census Place:Dundee, Forfar, Scotland
Source:FHL Film 0203479 GRO Ref Volume 282-1 EnumDist 1 Page
57
MarrAgeSexBirthplace
John CHALMERSM52 MMarkinch, Fife, Scotland
Rel:Head
Occ:Chemist
Eliza CHALMERSM52 FErrol, Perth, Scotland
Rel:Wife
James L. M. GRIERSONM45 MErrol, Perth, Scotland
Rel:Brother In Law
Occ:Clerk
He died after 3 Apr 1881. He was a Chemist (1881); Doctor of Medicine.6,1

George Moncrieff GRIERSON1 was born on 7 May 1829 in Errol, Perth.Scotland..

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Male
Birth: 07 MAY 1829
Christening: 07 JUN 1829 Errol, Perth, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES GRIERSON Family
Mother: MARGARET MONCRIEFF
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C113517 1825 - 1854 1040080 Film 6900659 Film

He was christened on 7 Jun 1829 in Errol, Perthshire, Scotland.4 He was a
Linen Merchant in 1881 in Govan Lanarkshire.Scotland.. He appeared on the
census in 1881 in 1 Atholl Gardens, Govan, LNK. Scotland.

1881 Census
Dwelling:1 Atholl Gardens
Census Place:Govan, Lanark, Scotland
Source:FHL Film 0203691 GRO Ref Volume 646-2 EnumDist 34 Page
18
MarrAgeSexBirthplace
George M. GRIERSONM51 MErrol, Perth, Scotland
Rel:Head
Occ:Merchant Linen
Allison L. GRIERSONM52 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Wife
Jane H. GRIERSONU18 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Daur
Margt. M. GRIERSONU16 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Daur
Occ:Scholar
Allison M. GRIERSONU14 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Daur
Occ:Scholar
Mary H.W. GRIERSONU9 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Daur
Occ:Scholar
Robina C. GRIERSON 6 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Daur
Occ:Scholar
Margt. MC ARTHURU32 FCallander, Perth, Scotland
Rel:Servt
Occ:Cook Domestic Servt
Catherine MC FARLANEU22 FArrochar, Dunbarton, Scotland
Rel:Servt
Occ:Tablemaid Domestic Servt

He died on 4 Feb 1896 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scot.

For anyone seeking information on George Moncrieff Grierson, he left a will:

Grierson George Moncrieff 19/4/1899 1 Athole Gardens, Kelvinside, Glasgow,
sole Partner of G. M. Grierson & Coy., Yarn, Jute, and Linen Merchants and
Commission Agents there, d. 04/02/1896 at Glasgow, testate Glasgow Sheriff
Court Inventories

1896 in Partick, Lanark. George Moncrieff Grierson, Linen Merchant, married
to Allison Lyon Walker, 1 Atholl Gardens (??illegible) Glasgow. Father:
James Grierson, Free Church Minister, deceased. Mother: Margaret Grierson,
MS Moncrieff, deceased. Cause of death and duration of disease:
Intra-thoracic tumour - 4 months. Congestion of lungs. The informant was his
son - the signature could be J M Grierson -
George Moncrieff Grierson
Baptised: June 7th, 1829, some list this as his birthdate; died February
4th, 1896, Glasgow, Scotland.

"GRIERSON, George Moncrieff, 1 Athole Gardens, Kelvinside, Glasgow, sole
Partner of G. M. Grierson & Coy., Yarn, Jute and Linen Merchants and
Commission Agents there, died 4th February 1896, at Glasgow, testate.
Confirmation granted Glasgow, 29th May To Allison Lyon Walker or Grierson, 1
Athole Gardens aforesaid, his widow, Executrix nominated in Will or Deed,
dated 15th March 1892, and recorded in Court Books of Commissariot of
Lanark, 20 May 1896. Value of Estate L5440 15s 18d."

"GRIERSON, George Moncrieff, 1 Athole Gardens, Kelvinside, Glasgow, sole
Partner of G. M. Grierson & Coy., Yarn, Jute and Linen Merchants and
Commission Agents there, died 4th February 1896, at Glasgow, testate.
Additional inventory given up at Glasgow, 19 April, by Allison Lyon Walker
or Grierson, 6 Bute Gardens, Hillhead, Glasgow, his widow, Executrix
nominated in Will or Deed, dated 15 March 1892, and recorded in Court Books
of Commissariot of Lanark, 20 May 1896. Value of Additional Estate, L1381
4s 9d. Confirmation granted 29 May 1896."

He was a Linen Merchant, Glasgow (1881).7 He was educated Glasgow Academy;
in Germany; RMA Sandhurst.8

He was married to Allison Lyon WALKER (daughter of George Lyon WALKER and
Jean HOPE) on 31 Mar 1858.1

Allison Lyon WALKER1 was born on 12 Feb 1829 in Barony, Glasgow. LNK.
Scotland.9,10 She was born on 12 Feb 1829 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.
She died after 3 Apr 1881.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
ALLISON WALKER Female
Birth: 12 FEB 1829 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE LYON WALKER Family
Mother: JANE HOPE
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119747 1825 - 1829 1042938, 0102917-18 Film 6902909 Film
C119747 1825 - 1829 0994179, 0102985 Film NONE

George Moncrieff GRIERSON and Allison Lyon WALKER had the following
children:

12i.James Moncrieff Gen.Sir GRIERSON1 was born on 27 Jan 1859 in Milton,
Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JAMES MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Male
Birth: 27 JAN 1859 Milton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119281 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

He was born on 27 Jan 1859 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.1,8 He
died on 16 Aug 1914 in In a train near Amiens, France. Sir James Moncrieff
Grierson who died on a train in France in 1914 and was buried at the
Necropolis in Scotland. He was buried in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.8 He
was a Soldier.1 He was educated Glasgow Academy, RMA, Woolwich..1 Unable
to find on the 1881 Census maybe he is overseas.

Commander IV Army Corps:
1904.06.06 Gen. Paul Sanford Methuen
GOC-in-Chief:
1905.06.01 Gen. Paul Sanford Methuen
1908.04.04 Lt-Gen. Sir Arthur Henry Paget
1912.04.04 Lt-Gen. Sir James Moncrieff Grierson
1914.08.05 Lt-Gen. Charles Louis Woollcombe

Prince Edward. Duke of Kent b 1935
Prince Edward began his schooling at Ludgrove Preparatory School in
Berkshire before going on to Eton College and then Le Rosey in Switzerland.
After school he entered Royal Military College Sandhurst where he won the
Sir James Moncrieff Grierson prize for foreign languages and qualified as an
interpreter of French.

Sources: (1) The Times, April 1st, 1913; page 9; Issue 40,174; column G.
Funeral of (Lord) Wolseley. The Service at St. Paul's, An Impressive
Military Tribute - News.
The Officers present included the following: --
(Lieut.-General) (Sir) James [Moncrieff] Grierson.
'Lions Led By Donkeys'
Sir James Moncrieff Grierson
Lieutenant-General
Corps Commander
Glasgow Academy RMA Woolwich psc
Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery

James (Jimmy) Moncrieff Grierson was the second son of George Moncrieff
Grierson, a Glasgow merchant. Grierson was one of the pre-war British
Regular Armys most accomplished and interesting senior officers. After his
commission in the Royal Artillery on 9 October 1877 he accumulated an
impressive amount of active service in the late Victorian armys colonial
campaigns, including Egypt (1882), Suakin (1885), the Hazara Expedition
(1888), South Africa (1900) and China (1900-1). He also passed staff college
(1884). In the decade before the outbreak of the Great War he moved through
a series of important appointments, including Director of Military
Operations at the War Office (1904-6) in the aftermath of the Anglo-French
entente, GOC 1st Division (1906-10) and GOC Eastern Command (1912-14).

During the army manoeuvres of 1912 Grierson famously worsted his rival,
Douglas Haig, principally through the use of aerial reconnaissance, a tactic
that he only reluctantly adopted after forceful lobbying by his cavalry
commander, Charles Briggs. Grierson was an accomplished linguist. He was the
British Armys leading authority on the armies of Germany, Russia and Japan,
on all of which he published books. Grierson was also a noted bon viveur,
with a love of music, fine food and wine, good company and amateur
theatricals. He once commented that he had fought his best battles with a
knife and fork. Unfortunately, he had the figure to match. Twelve days into
his wartime command of II Corps, on 17 August 1914, Sir James Grierson died
of a heart attack in the train taking him to the front. He remains one of
the great might-have-beens of the war.

John Bourne
Centre for First World War Studies

13ii.George Lyon Walker GRIERSON RHA1 was born on 6 Feb 1861 in
Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.1

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
GEORGE LYON WALKER GRIERSON Male
Birth: 06 FEB 1861 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

He died on 19 Oct 1892 in Lucknow, India. He was a Soldier.1
He was educated Glasgow Academy; RMA Woolwich.1 Not showing on 1881 Census.

14iii.Jean Hope GRIERSON1 was born on 2 Feb 1863 in Blythswood, Glasgow,
LNK. Scotland. She was born on 2 Feb 1863 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JANE HOPE GRIERSON Female
Birth: 02 FEB 1863 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

She appeared on the census in 1881 in 1 Atholl Gardens, Govan, LNK.
[...]

She died on 4 May 1925 in Strathmore, Camberley.
Sources: (1) The Times, Wednesday, May 6th, 1925; page 1; Issue 43, 954;
column A.

DEATHS.--GRIERSON.--On the 4th May, suddenly, at Strathmore, Camberley,
JANE HOPE, eldest daughter of the late GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON, of
Glasgow, [Scotland].

15iv.Margaret Moncrieff GRIERSON1 was born on 14 Mar 1865 in Blythswood,
Glasgow, LNK. Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
MARGARET MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Female
Birth: 14 MAR 1865 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

She was born on 14 Mar 1865.1 She appeared on the census in 1881 in
1 Atholl Gardens, Govan, LNK. Scotland.

+16v.Allison Mary GRIERSON (born on 23 Jan 1867).
17vi.David Alexander GRIERSON1 was born on 13 Dec 1869 in Blythswood,
Glasgow, LNK. Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
DAVID ALEXANDER GRIERSON Male
Birth: 13 DEC 1869 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

He was born on 13 Dec 1869.1 He died on 9 Jan 1870.1

+18vii.Mary Hope GRIERSON (born on 14 Jun 1871).
19viii.Jessie Moncrieff GRIERSON1 was born on 13 Apr 1873 in Blythswood,
Glasgow, LNK. Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JESSIE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Female
Birth: 13 APR 1873 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

She was born on 13 Apr 1873.1 She died on 3 Jun 1877.1 Not on 1881
Census may have died young.

20ix.Robina Constance GRIERSON1 was born on 31 Jul 1874 in Blythswood,
Glasgow, LNK. Scotland. She was born on 31 Jul 1874 in Glasgow, Lanark,
Scotland

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
ROBINA CONSTANCE GRIERSON Female
Birth: 31 JUL 1874 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

She appeared on the census in 1881 in 1 Atholl Gardens, Govan, LNK.
Scotland.

James Lyon Maxwell GRIERSON1 was born on 20 Nov 1835 in Errol,
Perth.Scotland..

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JAMES LYON MAXWELL GRIERSON Male
Birth: 20 NOV 1835
Christening: 30 NOV 1835 Errol, Perth, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAS. GRIERSON Family
Mother: MARGARET MONCRIEFF
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C113517 1825 - 1854 1040080 Film 6900659 Film

He was christened on 30 Nov 1835 in Errol, Perth.Scotland.. He was a
Clerk in 1881 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland.11

He appeared on the census in 1881 in 143 Nethergate, Dundee, Forfar,
Scotland.12

Dwelling:143 Nethergate
Census Place:Dundee, Forfar, Scotland
Source:FHL Film 0203479 GRO Ref Volume 282-1 EnumDist 1 Page
57
MarrAgeSexBirthplace
John CHALMERSM52 MMarkinch, Fife, Scotland
Rel:Head
Occ:Chemist
Eliza CHALMERSM52 FErrol, Perth, Scotland
Rel:Wife
James L. M. GRIERSONM45 MErrol, Perth, Scotland
Rel:Brother In Law
Occ:Clerk

He died after 3 Apr 1881.

He was married to Elizabeth WRIGHT on 7 Jun 1867 in Largs, Ayr, Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
JAMES L. M. GRIERSON Male Family
Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH WRIGHT Family
Marriage: 07 JUN 1867 Largs, Ayr, Scotland
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M116021 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

Elizabeth WRIGHT1 was born about 1841 in New Prestwick, Ayrshire,
Scotland. FHL Film 0203556 / GRO Ref Volume 510 / EnumDist 9 / Page 23
She appeared on the census in 1881 in Foxbank, Dunoon & Kilmun, Argyll,
Scotland.13

1881Dwelling:Foxbank
Census Place:Dunoon & Kilmun, Argyll, Scotland
Source:FHL Film 0203556 GRO Ref Volume 510 EnumDist 9 Page 23
MarrAgeSexBirthplace
William WRIGHTU47 MNew Prestwick, Ayr, Scotland
Rel:Head
Occ:Commissary Clerk Depute Of Lanarksh At Glasgw
Christina O. WRIGHTW73 FNew Prestwick, Ayr, Scotland
Rel:Mother
Occ:Annuitant
Elizabeth W. GRIERSONM40 FNew Prestwick, Ayr, Scotland
Rel:Sister
Occ:Clerks Wife
James D. GRIERSON 9 MGlasgw, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Nephew
Occ:Scholar
She died after 3 Apr 1881. FHL Film 0203556 / GRO Ref Volume 510 / EnumDist
9 / Page 23

James Lyon Maxwell GRIERSON and Elizabeth WRIGHT had the following children:

21i.Christina Anne GRIERSON was born about 1869 in Barony, Lanark,
Scotland. FHL Film 0203513 / GRO Ref Volume 387 / EnumDist 37 / Page 6 Not
found on the 1881 Census
22ii.Margaret Moncrieff GRIERSON1 was born on 5 Apr 1870 in Blythswood,
Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.14

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
MARGARET MONCRIEF GRIERSON Female
Birth: 05 APR 1870 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES LYON MAXWELL GRIERSON Family
Mother: ELIZABETH WRIGHT
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

Not found on the 1881 Census

23iii.James Dickson GRIERSON1 was born about 1872 in Glasgow, Lanark,
Scotland. FHL Film 0203556 / GRO Ref Volume 510 / EnumDist 9 / Page 23 He
appeared on the census in 1881 in Foxbank, Dunoon & Kilmun, Argyll,
Scotland.15 At the home of his uncle William Wright & his widdowed
grandmother

24iv.Christina Osborne Wright GRIERSON was born on 21 Aug 1868 in
Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
CHRISTINA OSBORNE WRIGHT GRIERSON Female
Birth: 21 AUG 1868 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES LYON MAXWELL GRIERSON Family
Mother: ELIZABETH WRIGHT
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

11. Susan DICKIE.

Susan DICKIE had the following children:

25i.David Grierson MCDONALD was born about 1855.

FOURTH GENERATION

16. Allison Mary GRIERSON1 was born on 23 Jan 1867 in Blythswood, Glasgow,
LNK. Scotland. She was born on 23 Jan 1867 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.
FHL Film 0203691 / GRO Ref / Volume 646-2 / EnumDist 34 / Page 18

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch I British Isles
ALLISON MARY GRIERSON Female
Birth: 23 JAN 1867 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

She appeared on the census in 1881 in 1 Atholl Gardens, Govan, LNK.
Scotland. She died after 11 Sep 1899.

She was married to Thomas HARVEY on 28 Apr 1897.1

Allison Mary GRIERSON and Thomas HARVEY had the following children:

26i.Thomas Barnett HARVEY1 was born on 11 Sep 1899.1

Mary Hope GRIERSON1 was born on 14 Jun 1871 in Blythswood, Glasgow, LNK.
Scotland. She was born on 14 Jun 1871 in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland. FHL
Film 0203691 / GRO Ref / Volume 646-2 / EnumDist 34 / Page18

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch British Isles
MARY HOPE WALKER GRIERSON Female
Birth: 14 JUN 1871 Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Parents:
Father: GEORGE MONCRIEFF GRIERSON Family
Mother: ALLISON LYON WALKER
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

She appeared on the census in 1881 in 1 Atholl Gardens, Govan, LNK.
Scotland. She died in 1929.16

She was married to Sir John Trail Bt, Hon LLD CARGILL on 12 Jun 1895.1,17
Sir John Trail Bt, Hon LLD CARGILL1 was born on 10 Jan 1867 in Glasgow,
Lanark, Scotland. FHL Film 0203662 / GRO Ref Volume 644-9 / EnumDist 47 /
Page 15 He appeared on the census in 1881.

1881 CensusDwelling:9 Park Terrace
Census Place:Barony, Lanark, Scotland
Source:FHL Film 0203662 GRO Ref Volume 644-9 EnumDist 47 Page
15
MarrAgeSexBirthplace
David S. CARGILLM54 MMaryton, Forfar, Scotland
Rel:Head
Occ:East India Merchant
Connel E. CARGILLM35 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Wife
Gertrude M. CARGILLU18 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Daur
James CARGILLU15 MGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Son
Occ:Scholar
John T. CARGILLU14 MGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Son
Occ:Scholar
Agnes H. M. CARGILLU11 FGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Daur
Occ:Scholar
David W. T. CARGILLU9 MGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Son
Occ:Scholar
Connel M. CARGILLU9 mFGlasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Daur
Mary A. CAMPBELLU65 FFarnell, Forfar, Scotland
Rel:Serv
Occ:Nurse
Anna CRAIGU27 FCadder, Lanark, Scotland
Rel:Serv
Occ:Cook
Jane CRABBEU28 FDunottar, Kincardine, Scotland
Rel:Serv
Occ:Table Maid
Agnes SMITHU28 FTarbert, Argyll, Scotland
Rel:Serv
Occ:House Maid
Catharine MC DONALDU20 FF. William, Inverness, Scotland

He died on 24 Jan 1954 in 19 Great King Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian,
Scotland.8 He was buried in Hillfoot Cemetery, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.8
He was educated Glasgow Academy.8

Mary Hope GRIERSON and Sir John Trail Bt, Hon LLD CARGILL had the
following children:

27i.Allison Hope CARGILL1 was born on 13 Aug 1896.1

Prepared by:
Georgia McLeish Clements
181/35 Skennars Head Road,
BALLINA> 2478 NSW
AUSTRALIA
(02) 6687 6834

SOURCES

1.
2. Two entries.
3. Jessie.
4.
5. 1881 Census. FHL Film 0203479 GRO Ref Volume 282-1 EnumDist 1
Page 57.
6. FHL Film 0203479 / GRO Ref Vol 282-1 / EnDist 1 / Page 57.
7. Ibid.
8.
9. LDS FHL. Bth 1042938.
10. LDS FHL. Bth 1042938.
11. 1881 Census. Staying with his sister Elizabeth Mrs. John Chalmers.
12. Ibid. Source:FHL Film 0203479 GRO Ref Volume 282-1 EnumDist
1 Page 57.
13. Ibid. Source:FHL Film 0203556 GRO Ref Volume 510 EnumDist 9
Page 23.
14. IGI FHL Film. Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout
Call No.: Type:
C119271 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE.
15. 1881 Census. Source:FHL Film 0203556 GRO Ref Volume 510
EnumDist 9 Page 23.
16. for her husband Sir JTC.
17. Ibid. year only.

Windows Live Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!