GRIFFIN-L Archives

Archiver > GRIFFIN > 2000-08 > 0967394888

From: "Helen Allen" <>
Subject: [GRIFFIN] Re: Documentation on Gen. Lewis Lawrence Griffin
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:48:08 -0500

I apologize if some of you get duplicate mailings of this.

Gen. Lewis Lawrence Griffin was the founder of Griffin, Georgia. My
evidence includes:

1) The Chamber of Commerce of Griffin, Georgia who replied to my cousin's
inquiry some 25 years ago which gave his parents, Griffin grandparents, SC
birthplace and date, and date and place of death as Aberdeen, MS;

2) Historical Collections of Georgia, page 634, Spalding County, which says:
"Griffin is the county town, situated on the Macon and Western Railroad. It
is called after General L. L. Griffin, its founder".

3) From the Aberdeen Examiner, Dec. 4, 1856: "General L. L. Griffin of
Aberdeen visited his old home in the town which he founded and to which he
gave his name. He was given a public banquet by the citizens of Griffin,
Georgia, Dec. 11, 1856."

4) From the Democratic Whig (Columbus, Mississippi) by Richard Henry Browne:
"April 27, 1843. Died at her residence in Lowndes County, Miss., of
apoplexy, on the first day of April, 1843, Mrs. Elizabeth L. Griffin,
consort of Gen. Lewis L. Griffin, late of the state of Georgia, in the 40th
year of her age".

5) A letter from Robert S. Davis, Jr. to Monroe County Public library in
regard to Gen. Lewis Lawrence Griffin. He says, in part, "In 1956, a Miss
Eloise Griffin of Aberdeen, Miss., a relative of Gen. Griffin, presented a
photograph of him to the City of Griffin, GA";

6) A History of Monroe County, Mississippi, p. 750 and 751, by the Monroe
County Book Committee. Copyright by Curtis Media Corporation, 1988. A copy
is in the custody of Evans Memorial Library, 105 N. Long, Aberdeen, MS
39730. I also have a copy. This article begins:

"Lewis Lawrence Griffin, born in South Carolina on October 3, 1794, was the
son of William and Rachel Evans Griffin and grandson of Peter and Elizabeth
Owens Griffin. He moved to Twiggs County, Georgia with his mother and
several brothers and sisters after his father died, and lived in Georgia
during the raw frontier days. He began in business as a country merchant,
whose trade carried him to other Georgia Counties, he founded his own
railroad and served as its president, he was head of a bank, an Indian
fighter, planter and husband of three wives. He attained the rank of
General in the Georgia Militia, served in the Georgia Legislature in the
1820's and founded the Town of Griffin, Georgia."

"On September 8, 1814 he married Villa Fauld in Twiggs Co., Georgia, and had
one daughter named Vinvincey Griffin. Both mother and daughter died in
1816. On August 21, 1821, Lewis Lawrence Griffin married Elizabeth
Littleton Harris and no children were born of this marriage. Lewis Lawrence
Griffin came to Mississippi at about age 50. With him came his present wife
and nephew, son of Eli Shorter Griffin, then deceased, whom he had adopted
as his son and who bore the name of Lewis Lawrence Griffin, II. He became a
planter in Monroe County and owned a drugstore in Aberdeen. After his
second wife's death in 1843, he married Elizabeth Woodson Daniel of Noxubee
County on March 16, 1845. His adopted son (and nephew) married her sister
Emma Daniel. (See separate article Miller Woodson Daniel, M. D.) He built
a 10 room, two story home with a porch around the first floor and a balcony
on the second which was Main Street until about 1950. General Griffin died
in 1867 leaving his wife Elizabeth, two daughters Harriet (Hattie) and
Mamie, and his adopted son (and nephew), Lewis Lawrence Griffin, II. He is
buried in Aberdeen".

After I determined that he was born in Laurens County, SC, I went there and
found deeds which support that Peter and Elizabeth Griffin were his
paternal grandparents. New information which I found was that John and
Sarah Evans were Rachel Griffin's parents. A deed of gift from Sarah Evans
and Joshiah Evans dated 12/24/1791 in Laurens Co. says "to Wm. Griffen deed
of gift to their sister and daughter, Rachel Griffen and her husband said
Wm. Griffin, 50 a. (150?) on Cain Cr. Wit: Wm. Ball Senr & junr, George
Ball. George Anderson J. P. Recorded 8/2/1792. Other deeds in 1791 are
from Peter Griffen & wife Elizabeth including at least one to Wm. Griffen.

Helen Griffin Allen

This thread: