GRIGSBY-L Archives

Archiver > GRIGSBY > 1999-08 > 0934245396

From: "Mary Anne C. Rick" <>
Subject: Alabama Grigsby Line, part 1
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 20:36:36 -0400

>From time to time, I check with gendex.com to see what's new. What's
new on the surname Grigsby is a disaster! There are at least three web
sites handing out mis-information supreme. One source for this
incorrect data seems to be LDS. Several years ago, while researching
another surname, I checked the LDS records for Grigsby. All I found was
incorrect. Apparently they have added to their collection. I'm not
about to get into an argument with people who refuse to correct their
records - they simply add your data and give people a choice. Genealogy
ain't horseshoes (as in 'close' only counts in horseshoes).

The Alabama Grigsby line is both well known to those who descend from
same and very well researched. The Grigsbys were pioneer settlers in
Limestone Co., AL and their descendants still live there 175+ years
later.

Following is the Alabama line. I have not taken the family back into
England nor will this show the descendants of siblings. Some of this I
have; most I don't keep.

First Generation in America:
John Grigsby 'The Immigrant' (8 Aug 1624 Maidstone, Kent, England - 11
Oct 1730 St. Paul's Parish, Stafford Co., VA) The NGFS has never found
any proof as to the name of John's wife/wives. Traditionally she is
known as (Sarah) Jane Rosser/Prosser. Their children as taken from
John's will:
John Grigsby, Jr. m Jane Redmond
Charles Grigsby (see Second Generation)
Mary Ann Grigsby m (1) Benjamin Newton (2) John Mees/Meese
James Redmond Grigsby m Susannah Redmond
William Grigsby m Ursley/Ursula Mann
Thomas Grigsby m Rose Newton

Second Generation:
Charles Grigsby (ca 1672 Stafford Co., VA - 1740 Stafford Co., VA) He
married ca 1711 Sarah Wilkerson, perhaps the daughter of James and Mary
(Green) Wilkerson.
Their children:
Margart Grigsby m John Smith
James Grigsby m Sarah Suddeth
Rosamond/Rose Grigsby m Benjamin Spicer
Barbara Grigsby m _____ Runneles
John Grigsby (see Third Generation)
Charles Grigsby, Jr. m (1) Elizabeth Lytle (2) Mary Bardford
(3) Mary (Geer)
Hunsinger
Wilkerson Grigsby m Sarah _____
Priscilla Grigsby m Abraham Fletcher
Rachel Grigsby m Isaac Rose
Elisha Grigsby
Reuben Grigsby

Third Generation:
John 'Soldier John' Grigsby (1720 Stafford Co., VA - 7 Apr 1794 'Fruit
Hill', Rockbridge Co., VA) m (1) Rosanna Etchison The children from the
1st marriage:
James Grigsby m (1) Frances Porter (2) Rebecca (Anderson)
Wallace
(3) Mary Ann Monday
John Grigsby (see Fourth Generation)
Charles Grigsby m Elizabeth Wallace
Sarah Mildred Grigsby m Thomas Welch II
William Grigsby m Sarah Porter/Sarah McClure
Soldier John m (2) Elizabeth Porter. Their children:
Ann Grigsby
Joseph Grigsby m Mary Ashley Warren Scott
Jane Grigsby m William Paxton
Rachel Grigsby m Alexander McNutt
Martha Grigsby m Alexander Trimble
Elisha Grigsby m Elizabeth Hawkins Porter
Elizabeth Grigsby m William McNutt
Frances Grigsby m Thomas Beckham
Reuben Grigsby m Verlinda Alexander Porter

Fourth Generation:
John Grigsby (15 Oct 1752 Culpepper Co., VA - 1842 Limestone Co., AL;
buried in the Grigsby Cemetery, Limestone Co., AL) m (ca 1758) Sarah
Watson (1767 probably VA - 1853 Limestone Co., AL; buried beside her
husband) Their children:
Margaret Grigsby (1786 Laurens Dist., SC - 1878 Elkmont,
Limestone Co., AL)
m. (1810 Abbeville Dist., SC) Thomas L. Henderson
8 children
James Grigsby (see Fifth Generation)
John Grigsby (17 Oct 1793 Abbeville Dist., SC - 15 Feb 1862
Limestone Co.)
Elizabeth Grigsby (13 Feb 1803 Abbeville Dist., SC - 1828
Limestone Co., AL)
m. ca 1827 Samuel Hamblin Elizabeth died shortly
after their only child
was born. She was Sarah Hamblin (1828 Limestone
Co. - 1891) who
married Robert Lamar Bridgeforth. Sarah was
raised by John and Sarah
(Watson) Grigsby.
William Grigsby (13 Feb 1805 Abbeville Dist., SC - 11 Sep 1865
Limestone Co.)
Caroline Grigsby (ca 1806 Abbeville Dist., SC -)
m. (8 Feb 1827 Limestone Co., AL) Arthur Reese
Garrison
Edward Watson Grigsby (8 Feb 1808 Abbeville Dist., SC - 24 Jan
1881
Elkton, Giles Co., TN)
m. 1831 Permelia Berry Adams
14 children
Benjamin M. Grigsby (2 Apr 1811 Abbeville Dist., SC - 27 Jul
1861 Limestone)

John, William and Benjamin never married. All three are buried next to
their parents.

I'm going to put the fifth generation in another message.
Mary Anne Rick

This thread: