GUIN-L Archives

Archiver > GUIN > 2011-04 > 1301961824

From: Janie Spencer <>
Subject: Re: [GUIN] East TN Germanna Reunion - September
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:03:44 -0700 (PDT)

George:

Thank you for your very kind invitation to
your Germanna Reunion.

As far as I have been able to determine
my line of Guins didn't settle in TN.

They went from France to England to Virginia
to North Carolina to NW Alabama.  I am using census,
military, and land ownership records
to base this on.

Also, in my Guin database of over
10,000 related persons, the only spelling
deviation that I have run into is Gewin.
It seems almost impossible, but not
even one Guinn has shown up.

I have written 4 volumes called "The Guins
of NW AL" and they are specific to
the descendants of two brothers, Levi
Gewin/Guin Sr. and Asa Gewin/Guin Sr.,
both of Anson Co., NC who migrated to NW AL
around 1820.

They descended from Christopher Columbus Gewin who
was b. in Cornwall, Lancaster, England
in 1660 and who brought indentured servants
to VA in 1688 and was given 880 acres by
the VA governor as a reward.

>From where did your TN Guins originate?

None of the surnames you mentioned as
invitees are any that I have run across in
my research.

Interestingly enough, my family moved from
AL to TN during WWII and were involved
in the Manhattan Project and still live
in Oak Ridge, TN.  They, however, are now
several generations past the surname Guin.

I hope you have a wonderful reunion.

Janie Spencer, Arlington, TX