GUM-L Archives

Archiver > GUM > 2008-10 > 1224156139

From: "Sherry" <>
Subject: Re: [GUM] GUM Digest, Vol 2, Issue 23
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:22:19 -0400

Hi Lynn,
Comfort Gum d/o Jacob B. Gum and Sarah Claypool in Rockingham County,
Virginia, married John Whitehouse s/o Solomon Whitehurst and Sarah
Fentress..
All of the info I have on their child Sarah Whitehouse is this below..Yes I
do have the book of the Gums and this is all that was said.
================================
Sarah Whitehouse (daughter of Comfort Gum and John Whitehouse) b 28 Sep 1781
Rockingham Co., VA d. 8 Feb 1852 Fairfield Co., OH Sarah Whitehouse and
husband Martin Coffman are buried in the E. Union Cemetery, Fairfield Co.,
OH..Martin Coffman (Husband) b. 21 Dec 1774 in (Coffman Bible) Marriage: 7
DEC 1798 in Rockingham Co, Virginia
Religious Telescope, Circleville, Ohio, Wednesday, Mar. 3, 1852. Vol. II,
No. 27, Page 108, Whole No. 618. N. Altman, Pub. agent Biographical. Sarah,
consort of Martin Coffman, Sr departed this life, February 8th, 1852, in
peace and prospect of a blessed immortality--aged 70 years, 4 months and 11
days. Mother Coffman emigrated to Fairfield Co., OH., from Rockingham Co.,
VA, forty-five years since. She had been up to the time of her death, an
unwavering professor of christianity forty-two years. Her house was always a
pleasant retreat to the wearied ambassador of Christ. Her table always
afforded the necessary refreshments to satiate his hunger, to which he was
always welcomed. No doubt many of the Itinerants of Scioto Conference will
endorse the above. She had been confined to her bed, before her death, seven
weeks. The writer visited her several times during a quarterly meeting in
her neighborhood. A(t) intervals she had serious conflicts of doubt, but
faith would again triumph, and she would rejoice in God her Saviour, and
manifest entire submission to her lot. The last two or three days of her
stay, I learned she enjoyed great peace and tranquility of mind. She has
left a companion bending beneath the weight of most four score years, to
mourn, together with a number of children, and a large circle of classmates
and acquaintances. Her remains were interred in the grave yard adjoining the
Union Meeting-house, on Walnut circuit, where the appropriate discourse was
delivered by the Rev. W. W. Davis. J. MONTGOMERY From: Mark Barnhart
February 06, 2000 This is very interesting on the Gum family. It may have a
link. Sarah Whitehouse Coffman was born 28 Sept 1781 in VA according to her
obituary and the inscription on her tombstone. I have seen the Gum family
name in Fairfield Co, Ohio. Some of the Whitehouse (Whitehurst) family is
buried in Hocking Twp cemetery about 1 1/2 miles from where Martin and Sarah
Coffman are buried.
I only have one child Grace Coffman b.21 Sep 1799 m. David Barnhart..
buried in the Centerpoint Cem, Brazil, Clay Co, IN..
I hope this helps alittle..

If you have any other info On this family would you share? I family is the
Gum's and Tharp's and would love any info..
Thanks
Sherry Gum-Gulla