GenConnecticut-L ArchivesArchiver > GenConnecticut > 2003-03 > 1048623083
From: "Kathleen Baker" <>
Subject: Re: [GenConnecticut-L] Benjamin Warner, b. 16 June 1707, Woodbury, CT
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:11:23 -0500
I believe there has been some confusion of two different Benjamin Warners by
contributors at Ancestry.com, and checking the LDS ancestral file I see the
same mixing of families. The Benjamin Warner of WOODBURY, LITCHFIELD, CT,
was born May 6, 1709 at Woodbury, Conn, son of Ebenezer and Martha Galpin
There was another Benjamin Warner, a Jr, born 16 Jun 1707, HAMDEN, NEW
HAVEN, CT, son of Benjamin and Hannah Hill Warner. who married Rachel
Sanford in New Haven 1 January 1729/30 NH Vital Rec. Rachel Sanford, dau of
Samuel Sanford, married 2nd Enos Sperry, 8 Nov 1750 at New Haven. (Rachel
was born 1 May 1710, NH Vital Rec). She married 3rd David Jackson of Newton,
1 Feb 1759, NH Church Records.
Hannah Hill, b Sept 1678 (NHVR), d 28 Dec 1764, dau of Ebenezer and Mercy
Brooks Hill, married Benjamin Warner, Sr. I'm sorry, that is all I have on
this Warner family.
From what I see, they appear to be a different Warner family than that of
the Farmington-Waterbury-Woodbury one.
My interest is with the family of Dr Benjamin of Woodbury due to his
association with the Baker family.
This genealogy below is for Dr Benjamin Warner of Woodbury --
John Warner, oldest son of John, was born about 1645 in Farmington. In 1669
he and his father are on the Farmington list of freemen and on the list of
proprietors in 1672. In his will dated Dec. 27, 1706 at Farmington he speaks
of himself as being of Waterbury. He gave his son, Ephraim, eight acres in
Waterbury and to his son, John, his house and homestead in Waterbury. His
1. Ephraim, b. about 1669; d. Aug.1, 1753.
2. John, b. Mar.1, 1670.
3. Robert, d. 1759.
4. Ebenezer. Details later.
5. Lydia, bapt. Mar. 13, 1680/1; m. Samuel Bronson.
6. Thomas, bapt. May 6, 1683.
Ebenezer Warner, born in 1677, was a physician in the Roxbury section of
Woodbury. To prevent his practicing medicine in other towns and to encourage
him to give his full time to patients in Woodbury the town gave him sixty
acres of land.
On Dec. 19, 1704 he married Martha Galpin of Woodbury.
She was the daughter of Benjamin and Rebecca Brown Galpin. She was baptized
in April, 1685 and died an Apr. 17, 1745. Ebenezer died Apr. 23, 1755 and
was buried in the Lower Cemetery, Warner Mill District of Roxbury.
The children of Ebenezer and Martha Galpin Warner were:
1. Ebenezer, b. Nov. 1, 1705; d. Aug. 23, 1769.
2. Martha, b. July 23, 1707; m. Solomon Squire.
3. Benjamin. Details later.
4. Margaret, b. Dec. 1712; m. David Squire.
5. Rebecca, b. Dec. 12, 1715; m. Moses Hurlburt.
6. Tamar, b. Feb. 26, 1718; m. Remember Baker, b. Feb. 22, 1711. They are
the parents of the Capt. Remember Baker associated with Ethan Allen and Seth
Warner in the Revolutionary War. This Remember Baker was a brother of Elisha
Baker, born Oct. 6, 1724.
7. Lydia, b. Feb. 7, 1720; m. Stephen Judd.
8. Thomas, b. Nov. 1722; m. Abigail Prentice.
9. Frances, b. Feb. 26, 1726; m. Benjamin Oviatt.
10. Rachel, b. Mar. 23, 1729.
Benjamin Warner, son of Ebenezer, was born on May 6, 1709 at Woodbury, Conn.
He was a doctor and spent his life in Woodbury and Roxbury except for three
years beginning in 1765 when he lived in Bennington, Vermont. This move
brought about the separation of part of his children from the rest of the
family as some of them remained in Vermont. Two of these were Capt. John and
Dr. Benjamin Warner married Silence Hurd on Dec. 16, 1736. She was the
daughter of Benjamin and Hannah Hurd. She was baptized in Jan. 1716 and died
Nov. 15, 1785. Dr. Benjamin died in Roxbury on Nov. 14, 1806 at the age of
The children of Dr. Benjamin and Silence Hurd Warner were:
1. Hannah, b. Aug. 4, 1737; m. Joseph Hawley.
2. Benjamin, b. May 1, 1739; m. 1st Rebecca Castle, 2nd Jemima Chambers.
3. Daniel, b. Apr. 12, 1741; m. Patience Norton.
4. Col. Seth, b. May 6, 1743; d. Dec. 26, 1784; m. Hester Hurd. He was a
first cousin of Capt. Remember Baker.
5. John. b May 29, 1745 at Roxbury, Conn.
6. Reuben, bapt. Mar. 4, 1750.
7. Elijah, bapt. June 30, 1754.
8. Asahel, m. Rhoda Bassett.
10. Tamar, m Asahel Hurd.
I hope this helps, Kathy
Owner of --
New England Genealogy
New England Native American Mailing List
|Re: [GenConnecticut-L] Benjamin Warner, b. 16 June 1707, Woodbury, CT by "Kathleen Baker" <>|