GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2005-09 > 1127833695
Subject: Willard families - desc. from Major Simon Willard - to N.H.
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:08:15 EDT
Surname: WILLARD - from Major Simon Willard, Concord, Lancaster & Groton, MA
Source: The History of Charlestown, N.H. - The Old (Fort) No. 4 by Rev.
Henry H. Saunderson, 1876, founded 1740 by Groton, Mass. brothers:
Samuel, David and Stephen Farnsworth were the first
settlers of No. 4, in the spring of 1740. They were the
sons of Samuel Farnsworth of Groton, MA who married the
widow, Mary (Whitcomb) Willard. Her first husband was
Simon Willard of Lancaster, MA, grandson of Major Simon
Willard. She was the mother of Lieut. Moses Willard
step-brother to Samuel, David and Stephen Farnsworth.
Simon Willard was the son of Henry Willard and his wife,
Mary Lakin of Groton, MA; married July 18, 1674. Henry
Willard was born at Concord, MA June 4, 1655, son of
Major Simon Willard. When Mary Lakin died, Henry Willard
m. (2) in 1689 Dorcas Cutler and when Henry Willard died
Dorcas (Cutler) m. (2) Benjamin Bellows of Lancaster, MA
and the ancestor of the Bellows family of Walpole. (note - the
Bellows of Lancaster, Mass. founded Walpole, N.H.)
Henry Willard had the following children by his two wives:
1. Henry Simon Willard b. Oct 8, 1678. m. Mary Whitcomb
2. Mary Willard
3. John Willard
4. Hezekiah Willard
5. Joseph Willard
6. Samuel Willard
7. James Willard
8. Josiah Willard who was Colonel and Commander at Fort
Dummer and one of the grantees and first settlers of
9. Jonathan Willard
10. Sarah Willard
11. Abigail Willard
12. Susanna Willard
13. Tabitha Willard.
Major Simon Willard b. Kent County, England emigrated
to Newtown, (now Cambridge, MA) in l634. One of the
orig. purchasers at Concord, MA.
Simon resided there thru to l635. In l654 he was com-
issioned commander-in-chief of the forces of MA in the
Ninigret and Philips wars. In l660 he removed to Lan-
caster, MA and then to Groton, MA in l672. He died at
Charlestown, MA April 24, l676 He m. (l) Mary Sharp
and (2) Elizabeth Dunster He m. (3) Mary Dunster (who m. (2) Joseph Noyes.
(l7 children, 9 sons and 8 daughters) Note: his 4th son, Henry Willard
(ancestor of the Charlestown Willards, was b. June 4,
1655 at Concord, MA m. July 18, 1674 Mary Lakin of Groton
MA Res: Lancaster, MA He m. (2) l689 Dorcas Cutler. who m. (2) Benjamin
It was his son, Simon Willard who m. Mary Whitcomb (who m. (2) Samuel
Farnsworth of Groton.
Henry Willard and his wives Mary Lakin and Dorcas Cutler
l. Henry Simon Willard b. Oct 8, l678
2. Simon Willard b. 1676; died 1706, m. Mary Whitcomb
3. Mary Willard
4. John Willard
5. Hezekiah Willard
6. Joseph Willard
7. Samuel Willard
8. James Willard
9. Josiah Willard - became colonel and commander of Fort
Dummer and one of the lst settlers of Winchester
l0. Jonathan Willard
ll. Sarah Willard
l2. Abigail Willard
l3. Susanna Willard
l4. Tabitha Willard
Simon Willard son of Henry Willard and his wife, Mary
Lakin, m. Mary Whitcomb. Their res: Lancaster, MA. He
d. l706. His widow, Mary Whitcomb Willard m. Dec. l2,
l706, Samuel Farnsworth, son of Matthias Farnsworth and
Mary Farr of Groton, MA. Simon Willard and Mary Whit-
comb had issue:
l. Aaron Willard b. l70l at Lancaster MA m. Dec. l6, l724
Mary Wright, dau of Capt Samuel Wright and Mary Stev-
ens of Sudbury, Rutland, MA. Mary Wright was the
grandaughter of Ciprian Stevens and his wife, Mary
2. Moses Willard b. l702/3 at Lancaster
3. Eunice Willard b. ___at Lancaster MA m. Joseph Doby
of Stow, MA
4. Alice Willard b. _____ at Lancaster, MA m. Jan. 29,
l7l8/l9 Capt Jonathan Whitney of Lancaster, MA.
5. Miriam Willard born posthumously at Sudbury, MA
m. Joseph Maynard of Sudbury on Jan. 29, l723.
Moses Willard son of Simon Willard and Mary Whitcomb
b. l702/3 m. at Groton, MA Sep 28, l727 Susanna Hastings
orig of Watertown, MA. Her sister, Hannah Hastings m.
Moses Willard's half-brother, David Farnsworth of Groton
MA son of Moses Willard's mother Mary Whitcomb and his
step-father Samuel Willard, Sr. of Groton, MA. Susanna's
sister, Eunice Hastings m. Simon Willard half-brother,
Moses Willard and Susanna Hastings resided lst at Lunen-
burg (Turkey Hills), MA In May, l742 they moved to Fort
No. 4, Charlestown, New Hampshire, following his 3 half
brothers: Stephen, David and Samuel Farnsworth who found
ed the Fort. This became Moses Willard and his family's
permanent home. Moses Willard was killed by Indians on
June l8, l756 at Fort No. 4.
Lieut Moses Willard and his wife, Susanna Hastings had
l. Jemima Willard b. June 29, l728 m. Sylvanus Hastings
eldest son of Dr. John Hastings.
2. Susanna Willard b. Feb. 20, l729/30 m. Captain James
Johnson (she is famous for her memoirs of her
captivity for 3 yrs in Canada)
See Johnson at my pages - Fort No. 4
3. Huldah Willard b. May 27, l732 m. Joseph Willard son
of Rev. Joseph Willard and Susan Lynde.
4. James Nutting Willard b. May 28, l734 m. Abigail
WETHERBE dau of Capt. Ephraim Wetherbe and his wife,
Joanna (Bellows) Wetherbe.
l. James Willard b. Apr. 30, l762 d. l762
2. James Willard 2d b. Nov. 9. l763
3. Edward Willard b. Dec. 9, l763
4. Betsy Willard b. Oct 28, l767
5. Abigail Willard b. Jan 25, l770
6. John Small Willard b. Jan 3l, l772
7. Joasnna Willard b. at Hartland Vt.
8. Susanna Willard b. at Hartland Vt.
9. Thales Willard b. at Hartland Vt.
James Nutting Willard died and his widow, Abigail
Wetherbe Willard m. (2) Capt. Isaac Farwell m. (3)
J. B. Olive.
5. Moses Willard Jr. son of Lieut Moses Willard and his
wife, Susanna Hasting was born at Groton MA on Aug.
l5, l738, m. Lydia Farwell dau of Josiah and Lydia
Farwell. She b. Groton MA. He d. Aug l7, l822 and
Lydia (Farwell) Willard d. Apr 28, l837 age 85. Their
l. Marcian (son) b. l769 m. Mary Baker, dau
of Capt. Osmy Baker and his wife, Mary
Farnsworth. Mary Baker was b. July 4, l776
Marcian d. l855 She died l86l. He was a
farmer. Their issue:
l. Mary Baker Willard b. l797 m. Simeon Hey-
wood in l827
2. Charles Willard b. l807 m. l839 Nancy
Shurtleff b. l805
3. Moses Willard b. l773 d. l808 m. l796
Peggy Glidden b. l78l d. l852
4. Lydia Willard b. l778 m. l795 Phineas
HUTCHINS son of Capt. Phineas Hutchins
and Sarah (Reed) Hutchins b. l774 at
5. Nancy Willard b. l784 m. l808 Josiah
Whitmore b. l783 Middletown, CN.
6. Abel Willard b. l788 m. l8l2 Fanny Grout
dau of Jonathan Grout and Parthena PAGE
1. Fanny Grout Willard b. l8l3 m.
m. Ebenezer Dunsmoor
2. Sophia Willard b. l8l5 m. Newton
3. Jonathan Willard b. l825 m. Lemira
7. Levi Willard b. l79l m. l8l4 Phebe Curriel
b. l792 She d. l866 He d. l87l
l. Harriet Willard b. l8l7 m. l840
Colonel Jonathan Baker
2. Henry Willard b. l8l8 d l846
6. Miriam Willard dau of Lieut Moses Willard and his wife
Susanna Hastings: Miriam b. Sep 25, l740 m. Rev.
Phineas Whitney of Shirley MA (no children) She d.
l769 Phineas Whitney m. (2) l770 Lydia Bowes and
had l0 children. Note Rev. Whitney preached at Shirley
MA. The Hon. JOHN HANCOCK of Boston MA gave Phineas
Whitney the Pulpit Bible. Phineas was one of Groton
Academy's founding Trustees, which apptmt he held til
his death Dec. l3, l8l9 He was minister to the church
at Shirley MA for 50 yrs.
7. Aaron Willard m. Mary Smead Res: Charlestown, NH until
l755 then moved to Hartland, Vt.
l. Clarissa Willard b. l767 d. l8l6 m. William
2. Miriam Willard b. l769
3. Charlotte Willard b. l770 d. l845 m. (l)
Mr. Crandall m. (2) Mr. Rogers
4. Martha Willard b. l773 m. Mr. WETHERBE
Res: New York
5. Mary, twin to Martha b. l7873 m. Roswell
6. _____Willard b. l775 d. l8l9 m. Elizabeth
Taylor b. l78l
7. Aaron Willard Jr. b. l778 m. Mary Lull of
8. Capt. John Willard b. l753 d. l832 m. Eunice CLAPP
dau of Preserved Clapp and his wife, Eunice Asherton
of Bolten, MA
Note: Mrs. Susanna Willard Johnson dau of Lieut Moses
Willard and his wife, Susanna Hastings, says in her
narrative of captivity that her parents had l2 children,
all told, as follows:
9. Abigail Willard
10. Elizabeth Willard
11. Mary Willard
12. unknown Willard.
Rev. Saunderson was unable to find any facts on these
last four children.
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth