GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2007-09 > 1188679933
Subject: [GENMASSACHUSETTS] Boston Old Burying Places - Part 3.
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 16:52:13 EDT
Boston Old Burying Places.
Source: Bacon's Dictionary of Boston
by Edwin Monroe Bacon & George Edward Ellis.
p.282 Copp's Hill, cont'd.
There are several other vaults in this old burial ground bearing elaborately
sculptured slabs and there is a good display of heraldic devices. Since his
appointment in 1878, the present superintendent has recovered, in all, 22
stones belonging to the ground, which had been utilized for various purposes.
Two tombstones were found on chimney-tops, two covering drains and one was in
the cellar in a house on Charter Street, Boston. Originally the northeasterly
part of the old portion of the yard was used for the burial of the
and that near Snowhill Street for the burial of slaves and freed-people. The
ancient of the tombs were built on the Hull Street side. Copp's Hill
Ground is about three acres in dimensions and from it a fine and extensive
can be had.
THE QUAKER BURYING GROUND
The Quaker Burying-Ground was established in the year 1709, in Leverett Lane,
now Congress Street, opposite Lindall Street. In the rear of the lot the
of the Quaker meeting-house was built, and stood for 100 years. The
in the grave-yard were comparatively few and infrequent. In 1826, the remains
of the dead buried there, were removed to the Quaker burying ground in Lynn,
Mass., with the exception of those of two adults, which were deposited in
Chapel Burying-Ground. The business building first erected on this estate,
the removal of the graves, was occupied by the "Transcript" newspaper.
To be continued - The Old Roxbury Burying-Ground. Part 4. p.282,(cont'd)
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth.
************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at