GenTips-L Archives

Archiver > GenTips > 1998-08 > 0902758388

From: "Douglas, Marcus" <>
Subject: RE: What comes after Senior and Junior on a name
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:13:08 -0400

Mabel writes: " I know Senior and Junior are on the first two names
but what label do I put on the third, would it be Charles Edward Tabb
the third?"

After Sr. and Jr. you start using Roman numerals. Here are some
simple rules:

When a man names his child after himself he becomes Sr.

If a child is named after his father he is a Jr.

If a child is named after his grandfather or another direct paternal
ancestor he can be called 'the second' and uses a 'II' (double capital
i) after his name. This distinguishes that he is not 'junior' to his
father, but is the 'second' in the direct line with that name.

If a child is 'the third', he uses III after his name.

If a child is a 'fourth' he uses IV, and so on for the following . . .

Fifth = V
Sixth = VI
Seventh = VII
Either = VIII
Ninth = IX
and Tenth = X

When reading the name aloud, 'the' is inserted before the Roman
numeral.

As a third myself I promised never to name any of my sons 'the fourth'
because I knew the confusion that erupted having three Marcus' to
choose from in the family. But a friend of mine who is also a 'third'
helped me see that now it's more of a legacy than anything else.
Almost everyone knows someone who is a 'Jr', and you might know
someone who's a 'third', but hardly anybody knows someone who's a
'fourth'. So now my son is Marcus IV.

Hope this info helps,

Marcus D. Douglas III
(Father of Marcus D. Douglas IV)