HALE-L Archives

Archiver > HALE > 1997-10 > 0877691751

From: Mel & Joede Karsten <> (by way of Becky Smith Gallops <>
Subject: HALE, Mary Frances b. c1849 TN
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:15:51 +0000

Hi,

I am looking for information on Mary Frances Hale. She was married to
Sampson KNIGHT. Sampson was a medical doctor in Statesville, Wilson
Co., TN. His first wife was Elizabeth Ann JAMES. Elizabeth died in 1863.
Statesville is in the south east corner of Wilson Co., TN near the
border with DeKalb & Cannon Counties. We think Mary F. Hale may have
come from that area. The 1870 Pope Co., AR census lists the following:

266 292 Knight, Sampson 60 M W Physician $250 $400 Tenn
Mary F. 21 F W Keeping house Tenn
Buchanan T. 22 M W Teaching School Tenn
Milliard F. 20 M W at home Tenn
Rufus T. 18 M W at home Tenn
Walter L. 1 M W at home Arkansas

There are no records in Pope Co. due to a court house fire.
Mary F. & Sampson were married sometime between 1863 & 1869 in TN
or AR. Sampson was a Dr. in Statesville, TN in 1863. In 1869 he was
in Huntsville, Madison Co., AR when his & Mary's son Walter was
born. From there he moved to Pope Co., AR. He died in Pope Co. AR
in 1871. We have Walter L. Knight's registration of birth decree
listing Mary Frances Hale as his mother. We have not been able to locate
Mary Hales parents. Can anyone help?

Mary Frances HALE b. ca 1848, TN, m. Sampson KNIGHT, b. 12-Dec-1810,
Wilson Co, TN, occupation Medical Doctor, d. 8-Nov-1871, Pope Co. Ark.
I.Walter Lee KNIGHT b. 28-FEB-1869, Huntsville, Madison Co, Ark,
occupation Jeweler, m. 18-JUN-1894, Lucinda Elvira WILLIAMS,
b. 08-MAY-1876, St Paul, Madison Co, Ark, d. 14-NOV-1917, Portland,
Multnomah Co, Ore. Walter died ca 1952, Portland, Multnomah
Co, Ore.
II.Sarah Melinda KNIGHT b. 17-Apr-1871, Arkansas?, m. Jesse BENNIGHT,
b. 10-Nov-1869, Fayetteville, Washington Co, Ark, d. 27-Jan-1965,
Coos Bay, Oregon. Sarah died 26-Jan-1922, Henryetta, Okmulgee
Co, OK.

We have not been able to locate Mary Hales parents. Can anyone help?

Mel Karsten
540 S. 8th Ave.
Cornelius, OR 97113
(503) 357-7693