HALEY-L Archives

Archiver > HALEY > 1999-01 > 0915373982

From: <>
Subject: James HALEY of Greensville Co.VA 1793 Will
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 09:33:02 EST

The Will of James HALEY of Greensville Co. VA (of which I have a copy ordered
from there), reads as follows:
"In the Name of God Amen.
I, James HALEY of Greensville County and Commonwealth of Viginia, being in
health and of sound and disposing mind and memory do make and constitute this
my last Will and Testament in manner following -- that is to say--
Imprimis - I give and devise unto my son Holiday HALEY the tract of land where
he lives containing two hundred acres be [ing] the same more or less also the
following Negroes, to wit, Peter, Judy, Ratt, Sarah, Ione, Tince, Isbell, and
Isaac to him and his heirs forever --
ITEM - I lend to my son Henry HALEY the use and service of the following
Negroes for his natural life, to wit, Israel, Ned, Abram, Ben, Harry, Dread,
Lewis, Phillis, Lender, Pleasant, Sall, and Dinah, and at his decease I give
the same Slaves and their increase to Jensy, Letisha, and Richard HYDE, issues
by his first wife, and their heirs lawfully begotten, but if any of my said
Grandchildren should die without such issue, then I give the said slaves and
their increase to the survivor or survivors of them and the heirs of their
bodies as aforesaid, and in case they should all die without such issue as
aforesaid, then I give the said Slaves and their increase to my Grand-sons
Henry and Hudson HALEY, children of Holliday HALEY or to the Survivor of
themand their heirs.
ITEM - I dispose of and convey to my Grandson William HALEY in trust for my
Grand-daughter Dolley HALEY RIVES on loan, for her use, benefit, and behoof
during her natural life the following Negroes, to wit, Cruiser, Tann, Austin,
Tom, Amey, Tabb, Winney, Esther, Patience, Isham, Lindar, and Lettice, and
their increase and it is my desire that the said Negroes should continue on
the plantation where I now live to work and labour with my Grandson James
HALEY untill such time as my said trustee in his discretion can derive some
profit by removing them in order the better to support my said Granddaughter
-- and it is further my Will and desire that if my said Granddaughter should
marry with the consent of my said trustee that she may then have possession of
the said slaves for her life as aforesaid and after her decease I give the
slaves aforename and their increase to the heirs of her body lawfully begotten
but if no such issue nor their legal representatives should survive her, then
and in that case, I give the said slaves and their increase to Lucy, Phadia,
and Dolley HALEY, children of Holliday HALEY and their heirs of their bodies
lawfully begotten or to the Survivor or survivors of them and their heirs as
aforesaid -- -- --
ITEM - I give unto my said Granddaughter Dolley HALEY RIVES the following
articles, to wit, one bed and furniture, one black Walnut Chest with all the
household furniture and wearing appearel that may be found therein -- also I
give her a riding leash, saddle and Bridle and my will is that she have her
choice of all my stock of Horses -- -- -- --
ITEM - I give to my Grandson Holliday HALEY the sumof two hundred and twenty
five pounds Virginia money to buy him a piece of land unless I should let him
have the money in my lifetime, in that case, I do not give the aforesaid
legacy but hereby revoke the same -- --- --
ITEM - I lend to my aforesaid Grandson Richard Hyde HALEY two negro boys, to
wit, Brittain and Roger for his use and benefit during his natural life and at
his decease I give the said slaves to his eldest son lawfully begotten, if he
should have one, if not, then to his eldst daughter as aforesaid, but if he
should die without such issue, in that case, I give the said slaves to his
Sisters, Jensy and Letisha, or the survivor of them and their heirs of their
Bodies lawfully begotten, and in default of such issue, then to my Grandson
William HALEY, his heirs and assigns -- -- --
ITEM - I lend to my Granddaughter, Jensy JORDAN, during her natural life the
use and service of the following slaves and their increase, to wit, Edy
Fortune, Rody, Feryby, and Lettic, which said negores I had lent to my son
Henry HALEY at my discretion and at her decease I give the said slaves and
their increase to the heirs of her body lawfully begotten but if she should
die without such issue in that case I give the said slaves and their increase
to my Grandchildren Letisha and Richard Hyde HALEY aforementioned or the
survivor of them and the heirs of their bodies lawfully begotten and in
default thereof then to my Grandsons Henry and Hudson HALEY or the survivor of
them and their heirs forever. - - -- --
ITEM - I give to my Grandson William HALEY the following Negro slaves, to wit,
Dinah, Abram, Jacob, and Jerry, being the Negroes now in his possession to him
and his Heirs forever -- -- --
ITEM - I give and devise unto my Grandson James HALEY the tract of land where
I now live containing eight hundred and sixty four Acres be[ing] the same more
or less tohim and his heirs forever -- and -- I lend unto him the said James
HALEY during his natural life the use and service of the following Negroes to
wit: Frank, Prince, Will, young Cruiser, Simon, and Stephen and at his
decease, I gve the said slaves to the heirs of his body lawfully begotten, but
if he should die without such issue in that case, I give the said slaves and
their increase to my Grandson William HALEY, his heirs and assigns forever --
It is moreover my will and desire that the negroes which I have above lent to
my Granddaughter Dolley HALEY RIVES should remain on the plantation herein
devised to James HALEY to be taken care of, fed, cloathed, and their taxes
paid 'til such time as my aforesaid Trustee shall think proper to remove them.
I further give unto my said Grandson James HALEY all my household and kitchen
furniture together with all my stock of every kind, plantation utensils and
every part and parcel of my Estate not already disposed of to him and his
heirs forever --
Lastly, I hereby appoint my son Holliday HALEY and my Grandson William HALEY
Executors of this my last will and testament, revoking all others by me --
heretofore made --
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 26th day March
anno Domini one thousand seven hundred and ninety three -- -- --
Signed, Sealed, published } James HALEY (L.S.)
and declared in presence of }
John Justice, Isham Fennell
John Grinstead

[Note: The Will was proved up in Greensville County Court September, 1795, by
William HALEY, one of the Executors, and bond was made by Thomas DUPREEand
James HALEY, for $20,000}

This thread: