HALLEY-L Archives

Archiver > HALLEY > 2011-08 > 1312906389

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [HALLEY] Thomas & James Hawley Haley Halley,Sr. from Virginia
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:13:09 -0000

Author: StellaCotrill77
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.halley/322.1.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Here is what I found on the internet and some from old books on-line...you will have to vertify and check the rest out...
Kind of hard getting anything on this line Blayton line unless they are connected to the old line in New England states...
Hope it helps you out some...exactly which state did yours live in ???
********
1. THOMAS1 LAKER,SR. was born 03 Oct 1568 in Dorking,County of Surrey,England, and died in Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
He married MARGERY PARKHURST 28 Mar 1597 in Dorking,County of Surrey,England. She was born 1580 in Dorking,County of Surrey,England, and died in Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
Notes for THOMAS LAKER,SR.:
****
The Order of First Families of North Carolina
Registry of Ancestors Vol ume 1,page 336
*****
London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812
Name: Thomas Laker Baptism Date: 24 Jun 1563
Parish: St Giles Cripplegate County: London
Borough: City of London Parent(s): John Laker
Record Type: Christening
*****
UK, Extracted Probate Records
Laker, Thomas, Rudgweeke H 117 1639 Book: Register 3.
Collection: Sussex: - Calendar of Administrations in The Consistory Court of The Bishop of Chichester 1555-1800,
Calendar of Wills and Administrations in The Peculiar Court of The Archbishop of Canterbury 1520-1670, Calendar of Wills and Administrations in The Peculi
*****
Surrey, England, Extracted Parish Records
Thomas Laker the sonne of William Laker was baptized ye 09 Apr 1588.
Book: 1538-1636 Collection: Surrey: Merstham - Parish Registers, 1538-1812
*****
Notes for MARGERY PARKHURST:
****
Richard Parkhurst Birth: About 1558 Of, Godalming, Surrey, England
Burial: 21 MAR 1595 Godalming, Surrey, England
****
Mrs. Margery Parkhurst Birth: About 1562 Of, Godalming, Surrey, England
****
Thomas Parkhurst Christening: 05 JAN 1583 Godalming, Surrey, England Burial: 09 AUG 1585
Richard Parkhurst Christening: 07 AUG 1586 Godalming, Surrey, England Burial: 24 MAR 1587 Joseph Parkhurst Christening: 10 AUG 1589 Godalming, Surrey, England
Dorothy Parkhurst Christening: 10 DEC 1593 Godalming, Surrey, England
Dorcis Parkhurst Birth: About 1595 Godalming, Surrey, England Burial: 23 MAY 1598
****
Children of THOMAS LAKER and MARGERY PARKHURST are:
2.i.THOMAS2 LAKER,JR., b. Abt. 29 Mar 1607, Dorking,County of Surrey,England; d. Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
ii.CHRISTIAN LAKER, b. 26 Sep 1596, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
iii.RICHARD LAKER, b. 22 Mar 1599/00, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
iv.MARTHA LAKER, b. 01 Jan 1602/03, Dorking,County of Surrey,England; m. JOHN HUMPHREY, Dorking,County of Surrey,England; b. 1602, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
v.DOROTHY LAKER, b. 15 Apr 1610, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
vi.JANE LAKER, b. 21 Jun 1615, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
vii.FRANCES LAKER, b. 18 Sep 1615, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.

Generation No. 2
2. THOMAS2 LAKER,JR. (THOMAS1) was born Abt. 29 Mar 1607 in Dorking,County of Surrey,England, and died in Dorking,County of Surrey,England. He married ELIZABETH SWANN 08 Apr 1634 in Dorking,County of Surrey,England. She was born 1617 in Dorking,County of Surrey,England, and died in Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
Notes for THOMAS LAKER,JR.:
****
The Order of First Families of North Carolina
Registry of Ancestors Vol ume 1,page 336
****
Children of THOMAS LAKER and ELIZABETH SWANN are:
i.ELIZABETH3 LAKER, b. Abt. 01 Feb 1634/35, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
3.ii.BENJAMIN LAKER,SR.,2ND HUSBAND,LORD DEPUTY, b. 13 Nov 1636, Betchworth Parish,Dorking,County of Surrey,England to Surrey County,Virginia; d. 21 Apr 1701, Castleton's Creek,Perquimans County,North Carolina.
iii.JAMES LAKER, b. 1641, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.
iv.THOMAS LAKER,3RD, b. 1644, Dorking,County of Surrey,England.

Generation No. 3
3. BENJAMIN3 LAKER,SR.,2ND HUSBAND,LORD DEPUTY (THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 13 Nov 1636 in Betchworth Parish,Dorking,County of Surrey,England to Surrey County,Virginia, and died 21 Apr 1701 in Castleton's Creek,Perquimans County,North Carolina. He married (1) ELIZABETH UNKNOWN,1ST WIFE Abt. 01 Nov 1659 in Dorking,County of Surrey,England to Surrey County,Virginia. She was born Abt. 1636 in Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina, and died Bef. Feb 1684/85 in Castleton's Creek,Perquimans County,North Carolina. He married (2) JANE DAY,2ND WIFE Abt. 11 Feb 1685/86 in Perquimans County,North Carolina. She was born 1660 in Perquimans County,North Carolina, and died Bef. 17 May 1696 in Perquimans County,North Carolina. He married (3) JULIANA HUDSON,WIDOW TAYLOR,3RD WIFE 17 May 1696 in Perquimans County,North Carolina, daughter of HENRY HUDSON and MARY UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1665 in Perquimans County,North Carolina, and died Dec 1738 in Per!
quimans County,North Carolina.
Notes for BENJAMIN LAKER,SR.,2ND HUSBAND,LORD DEPUTY:
****
1663 Baptist - founded Freewill Baptist Church in Chowan,North Carolina in 1727
Baptism: November 13,1636 Dorking,Surrey,England
****
1636 Benjamin born maybe in Dorking,Surrey,England
Benjamin married Elizabeth
1660-1669 Daughter Sarah born maybe in Betchworth,Surrey,England
1663 Benjamin signed the 1663 edition of the General Baptists Standard Confession of Faithalong with his son in law Paul Palmer and head of the Free Will Baptist movement.
1685 Benjamin married
1686 February 11th possible date of marriage to Jane Day in Perquimans,North Carolina
---
1695 Major Samuel Swann surveyor for province of Carolina, brought suit against Benjamin Laker for non payment of his fee he having surveyed 1500 acres for said Laker, which was dismissed.
Book - History of Perquimans County by Winslow pg 11
1688 Daughter Sara married Gov Thomas Harvey in Berkeley,Perquimans,North Carolina
----
1696 May 17th possible date of marriage to Juliana Hudson Taylor in Perquimans,North Carolina
They appear to have had no children
----
1698 Benjamin deeded to his daughter Ruth 538 acres in precinct of Perquimans,North Carolina
Colonial Records Records of the Executive Council, 1664-1734, page 375
---
1701 Benjamin died April 21, 1701 in Castleton's Creek,Perquimans,North Carolina
----
1702 Daughter Sara remarried Christopher Gale
---
1703
>From Wikipedia on the Free Will Baptist is this article is clipped the following:
In 1702 a disorganized group of General Baptists in Carolina wrote a request for help to the General Baptist Association in England.....
Though no help was forth coming, . . . . .
Paul Palmer, whose wife Johanna was the stepdaughter of Benjamin Laker .................
Sooooo where do I put this Johanna is she a child of his wife Johanna Hudson Taylor?
-----
The Order of First Families of North Carolina
Registry of Ancestors Vol ume 1,page 336
****
****
Abstract of North Carolina wills compiled from original and recorded wills ...
By John Bryan Grimes,North Carolina
Secretary of State
----
Lakaro or Lakers, Benjamin
Perquimans Precinct.
----
April 7,1701
July 8,1701
---
Wife and Executrix: Juliana (land on Parishes Creek).
Daughter: Sarah Harvey (book, "Grantham's Church Principles").
Friend: George Bleighton ("one book, being an Exposition upon the five books of Moses").
Witnesses: Richard French, Elizabeth Steward, Deborah Thurston.
Clerk of the Court: John Stepney.
****
Juliana Laker
Perquimans County,North Carolina
September 24,1735
January Court,1738
---
Great-grandson: Benjamin Sc Arborough, son of Mackeora Scarborough (plantation called the Chenifen Ridge).
Sister: Neptuania Hutson.
Daughter: Joanna Palmer.
Other legatees: Hutson and Juliana Wortham, Martha Palmer, Samuell Palmer.
Executor: Mackeora Scarborough.
Witnesses: John Banckey, Paciana Creacy.
Clerk of the Court: James Craven.
****
Land record, Perquiman's Precinct,North Carolina
Patent Book 1, page 3 --
Benjamin Laker gets 538 acres on "sound" in Perquimans Precinct joining John BENTLEY, Henry NORMAN, mouth of creek and Pocosin of creek (Patent #5)
****
HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY
As Compiled from Records Found There and Elsewhere
Mrs. Watson Winslow, Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton Co., 1931:
---
"Julianna Tailor, m 2d Benjamin Laker Esq, May 17, 1696. (His third wife.)"
"The Tailor family is represented in Berkeley Par Reg, by the following:
John Tailor's of John & wife Julianna, b Mch 7, 1690.
Thomas Tailor, Dept this Life, Desember 9, 1687.
John Tailor, Dept this Life febuary 2, 1688, at Grassy \emdash (Point).
Elizabeth Tailor, d of Jonathan, & Elizabeth b Desember 5, 1693, died Sept 28, 1694.
Jonathan Tailor, died Sept 16, 1698.
Julianna Tailor, m 2d Benjamin Laker Esq, May 17, 1696. (His third wife.)
Juliana Laker (d of Henry Hudson, & wife Mary) died Dec \emdash 1738."
[HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 410,
---
---http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]
----
"No. 68. Julianna TAYLOR, "hath engaged to deliver unto Capt Anthony DAWSON, one heifer, in Ballance of all account between sd Parties, which Heifer sd Dawson freely gives to Jone TAYLOR." Aug 29, 1692. John sTEPNEY Reg, & Clerk. Test' Stephen Manwarring, John Hollford." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 43, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]
----
North Carolina Wills and Inventories:
William Boyce's Will: Item. I give and bequeath unto Mrs Juliana Lakers the Sume of five pounds currt. money of Carolina, to be payd in Convenient time after my decease... These are to Impower the Sd Joanna Tayler, in & upon all & Singular the Goods & Chattells Rights & Creditts of the Sd William Boyce, to Enter wheresoever in this Governm't to be found, and the Same into her possession to take, and a true Inventory thereof to return into the Secretaryes office within one year after the Date hereof, & the Same to Dispose of, as by the Sd Will is appointed.
Given under my hand & Seale the First day of December, Anno Dm. 1703.
Recorded in Will Book 1A, pages 26 & 19, Office of the Secretary of State.
----
Abstract, Will Book, No. 4, 1738-1752, p. 82:
"LAKER, JULIANA. Perquimans County. September 24, 1735. January Court, 1738.
Great-grandson: Benjamin SCARBOROUGH, son of Mackeora SCARBOROUGH (plantation called the Chenifen Ridge).
Sister: Neptuania HUTSON [HUDSON].
Daughter: Joanna PALMER.
Other legatees: Hutson and Juliana WORTHAM, Martha PALMER, Samuell PALMER.
Executor: Mackeora SCARBOROUGH.
Witnesses: John BANCKEY, Paciana CREACY.
Clerk of the Court: James CRAVEN."
[ABSTRACT OF NORTH CAROLINA WILLS, J. Bryan Grimes,
Secretary of State, Raleigh, E. M. Uzzell & Co., State Printers and Binders, 1910.p. 206, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=gra]
North Carolina Wills, Surnames, K-L, p. 294: "[Name] LAKAR, Juliana [County] 077 [Date] 1738 [Recorded Copy] SS 877/81 [Original] SS/AR"
----
No. 2. Benjamin SCARBROUGH of Perq, Farmer \emdash for 220 pd by Joshua SKINNER, of afsd, Farmer sold two tracts of land, adj each other, "on west side of Castletons Creek, patented by Benjamin LAKER, May 15, 1697, 137a on Deep Branch in the "Patent called Castletons Creek Swamp," land patented by Johanna [Julianna?]TAYLOR, (mother of Julianna LAKER) May 15, 1697, who gave sd land to her gr-son Benj SCARBROUGH, & 165a which was given to Macrora SCARBROUGH, July 20, 1731, & was by him bequeathed to his son Benjamin, in his will." Jan 19, 1761. Test' Charles MOORE, Thomas PAINE.
==
See Will of Willam BOYCE, 1 Dec 1703.
North Carolina Wills and Inventories: William Boyce's Will. Recorded in Will Book 1A, pages 26 & 19, Office of the Secretary of State. William bequeaths, among others:
Item. I give and bequeath unto Mrs Juliana LAKERS the Sume of five pounds currt. money of Carolina , to be payd in Convenient time after my decease.
Item. my will & pleasure is y't my Executrix, hereafter Named, doe Send & buy or cause to be purchased, bought & delivered, Eight Gold Burial Rings, which shall cost four & twenty Shillings Each, which are to be given & Distributed in manner & forme following, (to witt), To Mrs Juliana LAKERS, my Executrix hereafter named; Coll Wm. WILKISON; his wife; James STODART in Prince Georges County in Maryland ; his wife; Mr John COBB ; & Peter GODFREY.
And Lastly, I give & bequeath unto Mrs. Joanna TAYLOR, all the rest & residue & remainder of all my Goods & Chattles, wheresoever or howsoever legally belonging or Due unto me, and Doe hereby make, Constitute & ordaine the Sd Joanna TAYLER, my only & Sole Executrix of this my last will & testmt., to see the same performed according to the true intent & meaning thereof. .....
****
"Benjamin LAKER is considered to be one of the First Families of North Carolina, that is he settled in the Province of Carolina ...by 1680 .... deputy to one of the Lords Proprietors of Carolina ... bought land in Perquimans Precinct (Albemarle County,North Carolina) shortly after 1680 ... was a resident of Betchworth Parish,Surry County,England and a member of the family of that name in the vicinity of ... Guildford, Dorking and Reigate .. is known to have been a staunch dissenter ... left England with sufficient funds to begin his life in Carolina as a man of substance ... purchased 400 acres and settled with his wife [Elizabeth] and family of six children to the life of a planter. ...
The climate of Carolina was difficult for Benjamn's family... his son and oldest daughter died within a short time ...Elizabeth and two other daughters dying later ...
Benjamin married a second time, and a third time to Juliana HUDSON TAYLOR.... it would seem that his daughter Lydia LAKER was a daughter of Elizabeth and came to Carloina with her father and mother...
---
Benjamin LAKER made his will April 7, 1701 and died April 8, 1701... specific bequests of books expounding his Baptist faith to his daughter, Sarah HARVEY, and to George BLEIGHTON, the husband of his daughter, Lydia... left his land to his beloved wife, Juliana to be at her disposal and also a Negro girl and a mare. The rest of his property was to be divided equally between his wife and his daughter, Ruth....his wife the executrix of his estate."
[Tidewater Virginia Families, Generations Beyond, Chapter 20, p. 191]
----
Benjamin LAKER married Elizabeth had seven children, four of whom, a son and three daughters, died young. Their surviving children were Sarah, who married first Thomas HARVEY and second Christopher Gale; Lydia, who married George BLEIGHTON and Francis CLEMENTS; and Benjamin, who married Juliana and had a daughter Ruth. ["TVF, GB, Chapter 20, The LAKER Family", p. 192.]
********
HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY
As Compiled from Records Found There and Elsewhere, Mrs. Watson Winslow, Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton Co., 1931.
----
The Honorable Benjamin LAKER, Esquire, is named among those who served as Lord Deputies to John ARCHDALE, Governor of North Carolina in the 1690s. Others were "Honorable Francis JONES, Benjamin LAKER, Major Samuel SWANN, and Thomas HARVEY, Esquires, Lords Deputies during the incumbency of Archdale." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY , p. 11, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 40. Elizabeth HEWS, of Perq precinct, widow, late wife of Wm HEWS dec'd to Thomas HARVEY Esq of same, 700a English Measure. "A Neck of Land" bounded on South by River, on West by a great Swamp, which parteth this land from Richard BENTLEYs, & on East by mouth of Perq River." Ack in Court June 6, 1688. Test' Benj LAKER, Cornelius LEARY, Jonathan ASHFORD, John SPELLMAN, Henderson WALKER."
"No. 46. Cornelius LEARY, of Perq precinct, & Mary his wife, to Benj LAKER of same 200a on the Sound, "on West side of Wm TETTERTONs line." April 22, 1689. Test' John BENTLEY, Edward MAYO Senior. "Samuel PRICKLOVE, Reg of writings."'
"No. 47. John BENTLEY of Perq precinct, "for a sum in hand" pd by Cornelius LEARY of same, sold 200a, being part of Land I live on, in lieu of 200a given him by my father Richard BENTLEY, as a dowry with his wife; which land was sold by my father, to Mr Benj LAKER, whereon he now liveth, fronting on the Sound, adj Land whereon I now live." April 22, 1689. Test' Benj LAKER, Edward MAYO Sen'r." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY , p. 41, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"James WARD and Hanah', his wife, relict of Richard STIBALL were granted Execution the estate of said STIBALL. Major Samuel SWANN, Surveyor, for the Province of Carolina, brought suit against Benjamin LAKER for non-payment of his fee, he having surveyed 1500 acres for said LAKER, which was dismissed." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY , p. 11, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 100. Wm TETARTON, (son of William, planter Dec'd, & Margaret PEAVALL his mother, Spinster) "doth bind himself an apprentice, to Benj LAKER of Albemarle, precinct of Perq, planter \emdash with Consent of his Natural Mother, Margaret PEAVALL, to serve sd LAKER, & his wife Jane, for the term of 9 years." Reg Nov 1, 1695. Test' William GARDNER." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY , p. 45, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 147. N. C. At a Counsel Holden June 6, 1698, at the house of Mrs Elizabeth GODFREY, Present; Hon'ble Thomas HARVEY Esq, Dept Governor; Hon'ble Daniel AKEHURST, Francis TOMS, Major Samuel SWANN, Capt Henderson WALKER, Lords Pro' Dept' "Benj LAKER Esq came before this Board, & conveyed to his dau Ruth LAKER 538a of Land, on the Sound side, adj a Creek that parteth this Land from Edward WILSON," said Land being now in poss' of John WATTS. Wm GLOVER Cleark of Court. [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY , p. 49, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 191. Ruth MINGE, of Perq, "Widow, & relict of Mr. James MINGE, late of this precinct dec'd," for 100 pd by John WIATT, of afore' sold 300a on Eastermost side of Bentleys Creek, known as "Mr James Minges quarter plan' "part of Tract" on which I now live, Land granted to my father Benjamin LAKHARE (LAKER)." April 29, 1724. Test' Humphrey PHELTS (PHELPS), Samuel WIATT. [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY , p. 83, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"Mr. James MINGE appears for the first time at a Court August 8, 1696, held at the house of James THIGPEN, proving rights for himself, his wife, Ruth (nee LAKER*), and eight negroes for which he secured 1000 acres of land. His land situated in Harveys Neck ran along the bank of what is now called "Minsie" Creek then and later named in deeds as Ming Creek. Richard TURNER proved rights and had 450 acres of land turned over to him for importing himself, wife, Bridget, William BARNSTABLE, Elizabeth TURNER (who married NEWBY), John TURNER and John HOOKS. Edward WILSON was appointed constable "in Room of John DAVENPORT."
Among the Justices present only two, James COLE and John STEPNEY, could sign their own names, all the others making marks."
[HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY , p. 16, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au] [*Daughter of Benjamin LAKER. RLD]

Will abstract: "LAKARO (or LAKERS), BENJAMIN. Perquimans Precinct. April 7, 1701. July 8, 1701. Wife and Executrix: Juliana (land on Parishes Creek). Daughter: Sarah HARVEY (book, "Grantham's Church Principles"). Friend: George BLEIGHTON ("one book, being an Exposition upon the five books of Moses"). Witnesses: Richard FRENCH, Elizabeth STEWARD, Deborah THURSTON. Clerk of the Court: John STEPNEY." [ABSTRACT OF NORTH CAROLINA WILLS, J. Bryan Grimes, Secretary of State, Raleigh, E. M. Uzzell & Co., State Printers and Binders, 1910.p. 206, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=gra]
North Carolina Wills, Surnames, K-L, p. 294: "[Name] LAKAR, Benjamin [County] 077 [Date] 1701 [Recorded Copy] SS 874.1/8 [Original] SS/AR"

"Benjamin Laker died, Apl 21, 1701, at his house, on Saseltons (Castletons) Creek." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 410, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 134. Julianna LAKERS, of Perq, for "love I bear my Friends Macrora SCARBROUGH & Anna his wife, (my Gr-Dau of afore') Have Given part of tract whereon I now dwell, bounded by "Barn Bridge Swamp," the path to Indian Creek, & Logghous Land, at the head of Perishaws Creek, a pattent to me April 10, 1704." Seal July 20, 1731. Test' Zachariah NIXON, Thomas WEEKS, Zachariah ELTON." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 106, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 268. April 8, 1758. Benjamin Scarbrough, of Perq, for 60 pd by John White, of afsd, sold 475a, on the head of Perishoes Creek, sd land "patented by Julianna Lakers April 10, 1704, & by her given to Macrora Scarbrough, & by his will given to his son sd Benjamin," July, 1731. Test' John Hubbard, Absalom Alphin." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 174, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 226. Richard SKINNER, "with my wife Sarah," assigns right of pattent, unto Mrs Juliannah LAKERS*. Mar 2, 1724/25. Test' John PETTIVER, Jonathan EVENS, John FALCONER." [Widow of Benjamin LAKER]
No. 227. Richard SKINNER of Perq, Planter for 80 pd by Mrs LAKER of afore' Widow sold 27a, adj John FLOWERS, John SIMPSON, Samuel PHELPS, & Paul PALMER. Mar 2, 1724. Test' John PETTIVER, Jonathan EVENS, John FALCONER.
[HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 87, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"*No. 101. Ruth MING (MINGE) of Perq, Widow, for 70 pd by Col Richard SANDERSON, of same, assigns "right of a Plan" on No East side of Albemarle Sound, & on lower side of Bentleys Creek, commonly called "Gore land" 200a whereon "I now live." Dec 21, 1726. Test' Ralf DOE, Richd LEARY.... *Note: Ruth MINGE (dau of Benj LAKER) widow of James MINGE, m 2d Col Richard SANDERSON." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 103, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 358. John HUBBARD of Perq, Planter-for 40 pd by Luke Sumner, of Chowan, sold 160a on South Side of Perq River, & the head of Lakers Creek, "half of a grt unto Julianna LAKER, April 1, 1718, & given by her, to Benjamin SCARBROUGH, her Gr-son, who sold sd land to sd HUBBARD." Nov 19, 1759. Test' John BRIDGER, William ARRINGTON, Josiah SUMNER" [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 181, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 2. Benjamin SCARBROUGH of Perq, Farmer for 220 pd by Joshua SKINNER, of afsd, Farmer sold two tracts of land, adj each other, "on west side of Castletons Creek, patented by Benjamin LAKER, May 15, 1697, 137a on Deep Branch in the "Patent called Castletons Creek Swamp," land patented by Johanna TAYLOR, (mother of Julianna LAKER) May 15, 1697, who gave sd land to her gr-son Benj SCARBROUGH, & 165a which was given to Macrora SCARBROUGH, July 20, 1731, & was by him bequeathed to his son Benjamin, in his will." Jan 19, 1761. Test' Charles MOORE, Thomas PAINE." [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 187, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]

"No. 67. Jan 25, 1762. Timothy WALTON Esq, of Chowan Co, for 12 s10, pd by Andrew KNOX, of Perq, sold 60a on South Side of Perq River, pt of a tract grt Julianna LAKER, April 1, 1718/19 called "Chinqupin Ridge," binding on lands of Joshua SKINNER, William ARRINGTON, & the desert. Test' Ed Hall, Peter BRETTON. [HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY, p. 193, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=wih&referer=www.clickfind.com.au]
*****
The North Carolina historical and genealogical register
Volume 1 edited by James Robert Bent Hathaway
---
Richard Harvey. Fehruary 22,1732-3; probated August 3, 1733; sons John, Richard, Peter, Lemuel, Jonas and James, daughter Bridget, wife Mary.
*****
Free Will Baptist History
by Judy Street
Free Will Baptists can be traced to from General Baptist who settled in the American colonies in the late seventeenth century. The first Baptists, who originated with the ministry of Thomas Helwys near London in 1611, were General Baptists.(Riggs) That is, they believed that the atonement of Jesus Christ was "general" (for all) rather than "particular" (only for the elect). Thus, they were Arminian in doctrine.(Treatise FWB)
The first Baptist Church on English soil, founded in 1612, was a General Baptist church, and our denominational roots are deeply intertwined with theirs. General Baptists were part of a larger group of believers who suffered persecution at the hands of the Church of England. Many of these believers fled to Holland, Amsterdam, and eventually to America, via the Mayflower.
In 1620, the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock and founded a new colony. Whether any "freewill" Baptists were on the Mayflower is unknown. We do know, however, that the first Baptist church in America, founded in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1638 was a General Baptist church.
One of these English General Baptists who settled in the American colonies was Benjamin Laker, who arrived in colonial Carolina as early as 1685. Laker had been associated with the illustrious General Baptist theologian and writer, Thomas Grantham, and had signed the 1663 edition of the General Baptists' Standard Confession of Faith.(Pelt) The earliest Free Will Baptists in America arose from English General Baptists in Carolina who were dubbed "Freewillers" by their enemies and later assumed the name.
Two distinct branches of Free Will Baptists developed in America.
The first and earliest was the Palmer movement in North Carolina, from which the vast majority of modern-day Free Will Baptists have their origin. The later movement was the Randall movement, which arose in the late eighteenth century in New Hampshire. These two groups developed independently of each other.
Paul Palmer founded the first known Free Will Baptist Church in America in Chowan County, North Carolina, in 1727. Palmer's group can be traced directly to English General Baptists through his wife Johanna and her father, Benjamin Laker. Palmer had previously ministered in New Jersey and Maryland, having been baptized in a congregation which moved from Wales to a tract on the Delaware River in northern Pennsylvania.
The first historical record of Palmer is chronicled in a colonial document dated April 30,1720 which reveals that he was involved in some sort of court case disputing the ownership of a slave. In 1722, Palmer made a request of the Quakers of Perquiminans County to remove him from their membership. No one is certain when Palmer actually came to North Carolina.
He apparently came to the Carolinas from Maryland and was living in North Carolina by the 1720s, as supported by the aforementioned documents.
Theologically, Palmer aligned himself with the General Baptists, who held that a person is not predestined to salvation; rather when the gift of salvation is offered, a person has the freedom of will to choose or reject God's gift.(Davidson) Palmer differed from the Particular Baptists who followed a Calvinist view of election.
The Free Will Baptist movement developed out of the General Baptist movement.
Palmer's popularity as an evangelist began to rise in 1726. Most of his preaching took place in the northeastern sector of North Carolina, but he also traveled to other parts of the state and even as far as the borders of South Carolina. No evidence exists that Palmer ever held the position of pastor, but three churches directly trace their origins back to his evangelistic work.
The first was established in the community of Cisco in Chowan County in 1727.
The second was established in the home of William Burgess in 1729, and the third was established at New River located near the South Carolina border.
While Palmer's influence on the General Baptist and the Free Will Baptist movement was brief and limited, it was nonetheless important. He is credited as being the "Father of the General or Free Baptist Churches in North Carolina."
The details of Palmer's death are not known, but it is generally accepted that he died in 1747.
*****
February 27, 1695, the will of Mrs. Ann Durant was proven by oath of Jno. Clapper and Elinor Moline (Modlin), and Thomas Durant was made Executor, March 1, 1695.
James Ward and Hanah, his wife, relict of Richard Stiball were granted Execution the estate of said Stiball. Major Samuel Swann, Surveyor, for the Province of Carolina, brought suit against Benjamin Laker for non-payment of his fee, he having surveyed 1500 acres for said Laker, which was dismissed......
In 1696 the records show that there were in Carolina sixty or seventy scattered families, settled principally along the water front for twenty miles up Little River shore, and around to Perquimans River. The inlet of Roanoke was frequented by small vessels trading to and from the West India Islands, and pirates and run-away slaves resorted to this place from Virginia.
Colonial Records, Vol. I, page 467.
---
John Archdale was Governor of Carolina at this time, the only Quaker to hold such a high office. He favored his own sect, and his constituents became flush with appointments to every known position in his power to bestow, but he made a wise forbearing just reign with the colony enjoying peace and security under his benign rule. Honorable Francis Jones, Benjamin Laker, Major Samuel Swann, and Thomas Harvey, Esquires, Lords Deputies during the incumbency of Archdale.
*****
The Earliest General Baptists in North Carolina
America's first Free Will Baptists were called, like their English brethren, General Baptists. General stood for "general atonement," their strong belief in the universality of the atonement-that Christ died for all men-and its attending doctrines. Both the General Baptists in England and America were nicknamed "Freewillers," and the name caught on and began to be officially used by southern Free Will Baptists in the late 1700s. Though there were General (Free Will) Baptists in North Carolina as early as 1685, the first organized church was not begun until around 1727, under the ministry of Paul Palmer.23 A variety of theories have been proposed concerning Paul Palmer's origins. It is not known whether Palmer himself came directly from England or not.24 It is known, however, that Palmer married into an English General Baptist family. Palmer's father-in-law, Benjamin Laker, had been an active General Baptist layman who had apparently established an informal gathering of Gener!
al Baptists in the Perquimans Precinct of North Carolina.25
-----
Benjamin Laker
A look at Laker tells us a great deal about the early American Free Will Baptists and their ties with the English General Baptists. He had emigrated to Carolina from England, where he had been an active General Baptist who signed the 1663 edition of the 1660 English General Baptist Confession of Faith.26 A local political leader and prosperous farmer, Laker had lived in Perquimans as early as 1685. It is known from Laker's will that he owned many English General Baptist books. Among the books he left in his will was a book called Christianismus Primitivus.27 This was the standard doctrinal text for the English General Baptists and was written by Thomas Grantham, the foremost leader of the English General Baptists in the 1600s.
Grantham's book outlined the doctrine of the English General Baptists, who taught, among other things, that Christ died for the sins of all mankind; that, though the sin of Adam had been imputed to man, he could be set free and saved by the righteousness of Jesus Christ which could be obtained by faith alone; that a saved person could renounce his faith in Christ and hence come out of union with Christ, never to be redeemed again; that believer's baptism was the only way to constitute a local church; that local churches should be self-governing; that God granted everyone liberty of conscience, and thus the king should allow every individual the freedom to practice his religion without fear of persecution and that individual Christians had the right to be involved in government and to keep and bear arms for the protection of family and freedom. These doctrines had been stated in the 1660 English General Baptist Confession of Faith, which was used by Laker and Palmer, and in t!
urn the Southern Free Will Baptists until 1812, when it was condensed into the 1812 Former Articles.28
With regard to Laker and his General Baptist influence in Eastern North Carolina in the late 1600s and early 1700s, Davidson says:
The will of Benjamin Laker has provided the first evidence that the earliest Baptists in North Carolina included those of a General [Baptist] persuasion.

It has been agreed that the records have not supported the presence of an organized General Baptist church in North Carolina before 1727 [the year Palmer's church was organized], but Laker's important social and political status would have given him a unique opportunity to spread his General Baptist faith. It should be remembered when Paul Palmer began to preach in 1726, he found an eager audience for his General Baptist doctrine. It also should be remembered that all the Baptist churches in North Carolina before 1755 were of the General [Baptist] persuasion. These factors surely would imply that there had been a General Baptist flavor in the state before Palmer began to preach.29
After Laker's death, the small, unorganized band of worshipers of which he had been the leader wrote to the English General Baptists for help, in the form of either a minister or some much needed books.30 Though the English brethren were unable to provide them with a minister and could only give them books, God had set His hand upon a man suited for the work: Paul Palmer.
-----
Paul Palmer and His Followers
Little is known about Palmer. By 1720 he had settled in Perquimans Precinct, where by 1729 he had an estate of 964 acres.31 Sometime before 1720, he had married Johanna Peterson, Benjamin Laker's step-daughter and the widow of a Thomas Peterson. Palmer became a respected landowner and political figure in Perquimans Precinct. His influence allowed him a hearing to proclaim his General Baptist doctrine, and he began evangelistic work in 1726. In 1727 he established a General Baptist Church in Chowan County.32
A few early followers were to be of great importance to the young American Free Will Baptist movement. William Sojourner, Josiah Hart, and Joseph Parker were instrumental in establishing and pastoring the first few churches. Sojourner (also spelled "Surginer") was an English General Baptist from Virginia who moved to North Carolina in 1742 and became involved in the Palmer work. Hart, a physician, was greatly influenced by Sojourner and became a successful evangelist for the early Free Will Baptists, planting churches in Craven and Beaufort counties in North Carolina. Parker was born into a General Baptist family in 1705. In 1730, Parker and his wife, Sarah, went into Indian Territory in North Carolina to establish General Baptist works. These early ministers and their followers labored at a time when it was difficult to be a Baptist dissenter from the Anglican (Episcopal) Church, the established church. Their work was made easier by the Act of Toleration. A 1738 court docum!
ent states:
Permission is hereby granted to Paul Palmer of Edenton, a Protestant minister, to teach or preach the Word of God in any part of the said province (he having qualified himself as such) pursuant to an Act of Parliament made in the first year of King William and Queen Mary entitled an "Act of Tolerating Protestant Dissenters."
In a span of 25 years, these men established 20 or more General Baptist churches, and the movement grew rapidly......
*****
National Association of Free Will Baptists
Free Will Baptists can be traced to General Baptists from England who settled in the American colonies in the late seventeenth century. The first Baptists, who originated with the ministry of Thomas Helwys near London in 1611, were General Baptists. That is, they believed that the atonement of Jesus Christ was "general" (for all) rather than "particular" (only for the elect). Thus, they were Arminian in doctrine.
One of these English General Baptists who settled in the American colonies was Benjamin Laker, who arrived in colonial Carolina as early as 1685. Laker had been associated with the illustrious General Baptist theologian and writer, Thomas Grantham, and had signed the 1663 edition of the General Baptists' Standard Confession of Faith. The earliest Free Will Baptists in America arose from English General Baptists in Carolina who were dubbed "Freewillers" by their enemies and later assumed the name.
Two distinct branches of Free Will Baptists developed in America. The first and earliest was the Palmer movement in North Carolina, from which the vast majority of modern-day Free Will Baptists have their origin. The later movement was the Randall movement, which arose in the late eighteenth century in New Hampshire. These two groups developed independently of each other.
The "Palmer" Line
In 1702, a disorganized group of General Baptists in Carolina wrote a request for help to the General Baptist Association in England. Though no help was forthcoming, Paul Palmer, whose wife Johanna was the stepdaughter of Benjamin Laker, would labor among these people 25 years later, founding the first "Free Will" Baptist Church in Chowan, North Carolina in 1727. Palmer organized at least three Churches in North Carolina.
His labors, though important, were short. Leadership would descend to Joseph Parker, William Parker, Josiah Hart, William Sojourner and others. Joseph Parker was part of the organization of the Chowan Church and ministered among the Carolina Churches for over 60 years. From one Church in 1727, they grew to over 20 Churches by 1755. After 1755, missionary labors conducted by the Philadelphia Baptist Association converted most of these Churches to the Particular Baptist positions of unconditional election and limited atonement. By 1770, only 4 Churches and 4 ministers remained of the General Baptist persuasion. By the end of 18th century, these Churches were commonly referred to as "Free Will Baptist", and this would later be referred to as the "Palmer" line of Free Will Baptists. The Churches in the "Palmer" line organized various associations and conferences, and finally organized a General Conference in 1921.
*****
The North Carolina booklet: great events in North Carolina history,
Volume 8 By General Society of the Daughters of the Revolution.
North Carolina Society, North Carolina Soc
*****
Notes for JULIANA HUDSON,WIDOW TAYLOR,3RD WIFE:
*****
HISTORY OF PERQUIMANS COUNTY As Compiled from Records Found There and Elsewhere, Mrs. Watson Winslow, Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton Co., 1931:
[...]

Abstract, Will Book, No. 4, 1738-1752, p. 82: "LAKER, JULIANA. Perquimans County. September 24, 1735. January Court, 1738. Great-grandson: Benjamin SCARBOROUGH, son of Mackeora SCARBOROUGH (plantation called the Chenifen Ridge). Sister: Neptuania HUTSON [HUDSON]. Daughter: Joanna PALMER. Other legatees: Hutson and Juliana WORTHAM, Martha PALMER, Samuell PALMER. Executor: Mackeora SCARBOROUGH. Witnesses: John BANCKEY, Paciana CREACY. Clerk of the Court: James CRAVEN." [ABSTRACT OF NORTH CAROLINA WILLS, J. Bryan Grimes, Secretary of State, Raleigh, E. M. Uzzell & Co., State Printers and Binders, 1910.p. 206, http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction/fullview.aspx?id=gra]

=====
[...]
Children of BENJAMIN LAKER and ELIZABETH UNKNOWN are:
4.i.SARAH CATHERINE4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, b. Abt. 26 Oct 1660, Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina; d. 1730, Perquimans County,North Carolina.
ii.ELIZABETH LAKER, b. 1663, Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina.
iii.MARY LAKER, b. 05 May 1667, Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina.
iv.BENJAMIN LAKER,JR., b. Abt. 1668, Farnley Hall,County of York,England to Surrey County,Virginia; m. ELIZABETH UNKNOWN, Farnley Hall,County of York,England; b. Abt. 1667, Farnley Hall,County of York,England to Surrey County,Virginia.
5.v.LYDIA LAKER,2ND WIFE, b. 07 Feb 1671/72, Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina; d. Martin's Brando Parish,Surry County,Virginia.
vi.LEWISA LAKER, b. 22 Jul 1675, Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina.
vii.RUTH LAKER, b. 28 Sep 1679, Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina; d. Perquimans County,North Carolina; m. JAMES MINGE, 16 Oct 1701, Perquimans County,North Carolina; b. 1675, Perquimans County,North Carolina; d. Perquimans County,North Carolina.
Notes for RUTH LAKER:
*****
The Order of First Families of North Carolina Registry of Ancestors
Volume 1,page 336
*****
Perquimans County,North Carolina
Archives Deed....
Ruth Laker from Benjamin Laker, 1698
----
Record of Deed
June 6,1698
---
North Carolina ss.
At a Counsel holden the Sixth day of June Anno Domini 1698 at the house of Mrs. Elizabeth Godfrey. Present the Honorable Thomas Harvey Esqr. Deputy Governor the Honorable Daniel Akehurst, Francis Toms, Major Samuel Swain, Capt. Henderson Walker, Lords proprietors Deputies....
----
Benjamin Laker,Esquire came before this Board and in consideration of the natural love and affection that he beareth to his daughter Ruth Laker and for her maintenance and advancement doth give grant alien enfeoff and confirm to the said Ruth Laker her heirs and assigns for ever all that his plantation and
tract of land containing five hundred thirty eight acres lying and being on the sound side in the precinct of Perquimans adjoining on a creek that parts this land from the land of Edward Wilson the said plantation being now in the tenure and possession of John Watts with all and singular the houses orchards fences priviledges hereditaments and appurtenances to the same belonging or appertaining with the reversion and reversions remainder and remainders there of.......
To have and to hold the said plantation land premises and appurtenances to her the said Ruth Laker her heirs and assigns for ever, and of this his grant the said Benjamin Laker prayeth that a record be made.
----
Per. Cap. W. Glover Cl.
Coull.
Registered the 20th day of March Anno 1698/9 per John Stepney
Register of writings for Perquimans Precinct
---
Colonial Records
Records of the Executive Council, 1664-1734, page 375
*****
viii.DEBORAH LAKER, b. 04 May 1682, Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina.
Child of BENJAMIN LAKER and JULIANA HUDSON is:
6.ix.JUILANNA 'ANNA'4 LAKER,WIDOW PETERSON, b. Abt. Mar 1696/97, Perquimans County,North Carolina; d. Aft. 1735, Perquimans County,North Carolina.

Generation No. 4
4. SARAH CATHERINE4 LAKER,2ND WIFE (BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 26 Oct 1660 in Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina, and died 1730 in Perquimans County,North Carolina. She married (1) THOMAS HARVEY,SR.,DEPUTY GOVERNOR,1ST Aft. 28 Mar 1688 in Berkeley,Perquimans County,North Carolina, son of JOHN HARVEY and DOROTHY TOOK. He was born 1655 in Heath Snetterfield Parish,Warwickshire,England, and died Bet. Mar 1698/99 - Jul 1699 in Symons Creek,Perquimans Precint,North Carolina. She married (2) CHRISTOPHER GALE,2ND HUSBAND,CHIEF JUSTICE 17 Jan 1700/01 in Farnley Hall,County of York,England. He was born 1660 in Perquimans County,North Carolina, and died 1734 in Edenton,Chowan County,North Carolina.
Notes for SARAH CATHERINE LAKER,2ND WIFE:
*****
Power of Attorney
November 28,1706
Assigns Thomas Abington her Attorney to obtain lands of her late husband Thomas Harvey and wants to leave them to her son Thomas Harvey......
*****
Dictionary of North Carolina biography
Volume 3 By William Stevens Powell
*****
Children of Thomas (Governor) Harvey and Sarah Laker are:
i. Thomas Harvey born 6 DEC 1692 in Periquimans Co., North Carolina,died 10 NOV 1729 in Periquimans Co., North Carolina.
ii. John Harvey born 6 DEC 1692 in Perquimans Co., NC,died in Periquimans Co., NC. He married Mary.
iii. Mary Harvey was born 20 NOV 1694 in , Periquimans Co., NC, died in , Periquimans Co., NC.
iv. John Harvey was born 19 SEP 1689, died 5 SEP 1691.
*****
Marriage Thomas (Dep Gov of Carolina) Harvey b: 1668 in Warwickshire, England
Married: 1688 in Berkeley, Perquimans, N.C.
Thomas Harvey
Mary Harvey b: 20 NOV 1694
John Harvey b: 19 SEP 1689 in Perquimans Co, N.C.
Thomas (Jr) Harvey b: 6 DEC 1692 in Albemarle Precinct, North Carolina
****
Penelope GALE b: 22 Feb 1702 in Farnley Hall, York, England
Elizabeth GALE b: 1704 in Farnley Hall, York, England
Miles GALE b: 1706 in Farnley Hall, York, England
Elizabeth GALE b: 1708 in Farnley Hall, York, England
****
Mary Harvey Birth: 20 NOV 1694 Death: 1 JUN 1770 in Stanly, Albemarle,North Carolina
---
1699- Mary inherits land called Faulks Point containing in all five hundred acreas on Pequimons River in Albemarle County,North Carolina
----
Marriage Robert West b: 1695
Married: BET. 1751 - 1752
Martha West
Sarah West
Mary West
****
The North Carolina booklet: great events in North Carolina history,
Volume 8 By General Society of the Daughters of the Revolution.
North Carolina Society, North Carolina Soc
----
THE NORTH CAROLINA BOOKLET.
Vol. VIII JULY, 1908 No. I
JOHN HARVEY.1
-----
BY R. D. W. CONNOR, Secretary of the North Carolina Historical Commission. Of all the men who inaugurated the Revolution in North Carolina, John Harvey, perhaps, is least known. But little has been written of his services to his country, and the student of his career will search in vain outside of the bald official records for more than a mere mention of the official positions which he held.
These records, however, reveal a career that would do honor to any of his great contemporaries.
The origin of the Harvey family in North Carolina has been the subject of much speculation and has been accounted for in various ways. The traditional accounts credit Virginia with furnishing this family to North Carolina, but whatever may be true of the other branches, this is not true of the branch from which John Harvey sprung. During the middle of the seventeenth century the first John Harvey of whom we have any record, and his wife Mary, lived "at ye Heath in Shetterfield Parish in Warwick Sheare in Ould Ingland." One of their sons, Thomas Harvey, came to North Carolina some time about 1680 as private secretary to Governor John Jenkins. He himself afterwards served as deputy governor during the absence of Governor Archdale. Upon his arrival there he found others of his name who were

1Reprinted, with additional matter, from the "Biographical History of North Carolina,"
Volume IV, by permission of Charles L. Van Noppen, Publisher.

already prominent in the official life of the province. They had settled in Perquimans County on Albemarle Sound, occupying a strip of land between the Yeopim and Perquimans rivers, known to this day as Harvey's Neck. Governor Jenkins died December 17, 1681. Within less than four months Thomas Harvey showed his devotion to the memory of his patron by marrying the bereaved widow, Johannah. In those early days in North Carolina, when the number of men in the province greatly exceeded the number of women, it was probably regarded as contrary to public policy for a sprightly woman to hide her charms behind a widow's veil. Six years after her second marriage Johannah Harvey died. Thomas Harvey bore his loss with becoming fortitude and within less than six months resigned his sorrows into the keeping of Sarah Laker, the daughter of a prominent colonial official, Benjamin Laker, and his wife Jane Dey. By her Thomas Harvey had three children. The second son, a Thomas also, married E!
lizabeth Cole, daughter of Colonel James Cole, of Nansemond County, Virginia. This union continued only a few years, Thomas Harvey dying during the winter of 1729. He left four sons, Thomas, John, Benjamin, and Miles.2 In his will he made provisions and left directions for the education of these boys; one legacy in this will was a hundred pounds proclamation money for the poor of Perquimans County.

The second of these boys was destined to become the most illustrious of the Harveys. He was born some time about the year 1725. According to the provisions of his father's will he received a good education, probably under a private tutor, or, as was not unusual then, in England. We may suppose that, like other boys similarly situated, he gave due attention to the sports common in frontier settlements- riding, hunting, fishing, swimming, rowing, and other outdoor amusements.
Early in life he was married to Mary Bonner, daughter of Thomas and Abigail Bonner, of Beaufort County. They had ten children. It is not unworthy of remark that the Harveys were a prolific family. John Harvey's eldest son, Thomas, had eight children; his second son, John, had three; Miles, his fifth son, had four; while Joseph, the seventh son, had fourteen. John Harvey's grandchildren also proved themselves in this respect not unworthy of their origin.3
--
'Hathaway:
North Carolina Historical and Genealogical Register,

Harvey had entered the Assembly, however, just in time to become involved in one of the bitterest contests connected with our colonial history. The early North Carolina charters had given to the counties of Chowan, Perquimans, Pasquotank, Currituck, Bertie,' and Tyrrell the privilege of sending five members each to the Assembly, and had allotted to all the other counties only two each. As these latter counties grew in wealth and population they looked with jealous eyes on the extra privilege of the older counties. Rivalries and friction enhanced by local prejudices arose out of this inequality. By having five members each the northern counties had a majority of the Assembly, and of course controlled legislation. The southern counties could do nothing but patiently await their opportunity to strike a more nearly even balance. It happened that just at the time John Harvey entered the Assembly the governor, Gabriel Johnston, a hard-headed Scotchman, threw himself into the contr!
oversy on the side of the southern counties. In November, 1746, he called the Assembly to meet at Wilmington." On account of the difficulties in reaching Wilmington at that season of the year, the northern members had declared that they would not attend an Assembly held at that place. Relying upon the fact that they composed a majority of the members, they expected, of course, that no session could be held without them. In this they reckoned without their host. Little did John Harvey and his colleagues think that Samuel Swann and his colleagues, for the sake of a petty sectional advantage, would surrender one of the most cherished constitutional principles for which the colonists had ever contended-that no number less than a majority of the Assembly ought to be considered a quorum. But this is just what the southern members did, for at the bidding of a royal governor they formed a house composed of less than a majority, and proceeded to business.
Only two bills.Ibid. 'Colonial Records of North Carolina, IV, 118.
'Northampton County had afterwards been created out of Bertie and given two of the latter's five members. Northampton acted with the northern counties. "Colonial Records, IV, 838.
*****
Notes for THOMAS HARVEY,SR.,DEPUTY GOVERNOR,1ST:
*****
Dictionary of North Carolina biography
Volume 3 By William Stevens Powell
*****
THOMAS HARVEY born in Heath Snetterfield Parish,Warwickshire England, and died March 1698/99.
He married (1) SARAH LAKER,daughter of BENJAMIN LAKER and JANE DEY.
April 13, 1682 in Perquimans County North Carolina died March 27,1688 in Perquimans County North Carolina.
----
Will proved July 1699
---
Sarah Laker:Power of Attorney November 28, 1706
Assigns Thomas Abington her Attorney to obtain lands of her late husband
Thomas Harvey and wants to leave them to her son Thomas Harvey.
Children of THOMAS HARVEY and SARAH LAKER are:
i. JOHN3 HARVEY, b. September 19, 1689, Perquimans County North Carolina;
d. September 05, 1691, Perquimans County North Carolina.
4. ii. THOMAS HARVEY, b. December 06, 1692, Perquimans County North
Carolina; d. Abt. April 10, 1729, Perquimans County North Carolina.
5. iii. MARY HARVEY, b. November 20, 1694.
3. RICHARD2 HARVEY (JOHN1)
Children of RICHARD HARVEY are:
i. JOHN3 HARVEY, m. DOROTHY TOOKE.
6. ii. THOMAS HARVEY. m Margaret Fletcher
*****
*****
The North Carolina historical and Genealogical register
Volume 1 edited by James Robert Bent Hathaway
---
Richard Harvey. Fehruary 22,1732-3; probated August 3, 1733; sons John, Richard, Peter, Lemuel, Jonas and James, daughter Bridget, wife Mary.
*****
fTli. mas Harvey. Apiil 10.1720; probated November 10 1729; wile Elizabeth Harvey, sons Thomas, John, Benjamin and Miles, brother Mi ts Gale, eaeb of C d. Robert West's daughters, to-wit, Miitba. Sirah and Mary Wist, daughters by his wi'e, my sister Marv Harvey; Elizabeth Ciavon, and I'entdope Little, wife of Wm, Little; childien of ihe wife i f J nnes Sittcrson and wife of Willi nn Ttthrton; J bn Cole, son of John Cole of Nansemond Connlv, Va.; Joshua Wherry, son of Airhnny Wherrv, E izabeili, daughter of Anibonv Wherry; brother Milts Gale ol Bo ton. kinsmen Wm. Little, Col. Edward Moseley, 'I liomas l\dh ck, wife Eliz.belli and John Loviek Executors.

*NOTE-I-a*c Hill was eitlier the grandfather or great-grandfather of Hon. Wliitinell Hill. If John Hill mentioned in this xx.ill had a sun named John Hill, then Isaac as his ;;reat.grandtather. We would lie glad to have all the light now in existence with relerence to this familv. Na'hauicl Hill, the youngest son,. marr ed in 17'2- Kliziiheth. daughter of John an.I Reh.ccn llaiiy.

Thomas Harvey was tin' son of Governor Tlioinas Harvey, and married Eliz;ilielh Cole, daughter of Col. James Cole, of Perquimans. His n.other was Sarah Laker, daughter of Benjamin Laker, of Perquimans County Sarah Laker's ,econd husliaud was i In i-t"|.her (Sale. Chief Justice of the Colony. Col. Roliert Wet. of Herti... mairieil Maiy Harvey, sister of Thomas Harvey. Colonel West 's first wife being a daughter of (iovernor Thomas Pollock.......
*****

Notes for CHRISTOPHER GALE,2ND HUSBAND,CHIEF JUSTICE:
****
ther: Miles GALE b: 19 Jun 1647 in Farnley Hall, York, England
Mother: Margaret STONE b: 1657 in York, York, England
****
Children of SARAH LAKER and THOMAS HARVEY are:
i.JOHN5 HARVEY, b. 19 Sep 1689, Perquimans County,North Carolina; d. 05 Sep 1691, Perquimans County,North Carolina.
7.ii.THOMAS HARVEY,JR., b. 06 Dec 1692, Periquimans County,North Carolina; d. Bet. 10 Apr - 10 Nov 1720, St. Thomas Parish,Orange County,Virginia.
8.iii.MARY HARVEY,2ND WIFE, b. 20 Nov 1694, Periquimans County,North Carolina; d. Periquimans County,North Carolina.
iv.ELIZABETH CLAYTON HARVEY, b. Periquimans County,North Carolina.
v.PENELOPE LITTLE HARVEY, b. Periquimans County,North Carolina.

5. LYDIA4 LAKER,2ND WIFE (BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 07 Feb 1671/72 in Betchworth,County of Surrey,England to Perquimans County,North Carolina, and died in Martin's Brando Parish,Surry County,Virginia. She married (1) FRANCIS CLEMENTS,1ST HUSBAND. He was born 1665 in Surrey County,Virginia, and died in South Hampton County,Virginia. She married (2) GEORGE BLEIGHTON,SR.,2ND HUSBAND 21 Jan 1688/89 in Surry County,Virginia were married by Alexander Lillington. He was born Abt. 1663 in Nottinghamshire,England to Surrey County,Virginia, and died 1702 in Martin's Brando Parish,Surry County,Virginia.
Notes for LYDIA LAKER,2ND WIFE:
*****
Widow of George Blayton.
Surry County,Virginia Order
Book 1691-1718, page 240
As Blighton. Francis Clements and Lydia his wife were administrators of the estate of George Blayton.
----
May 2,1706
Captain Francis Clements patented 2000 acres on the south side of Main Black Water Swamp, naming among the headrights Thomas Blayton, his wife Joane, and children Thomas, George, Elizabeth and Sarah
Patent Book. 9, 725
----
January 12, 1724/5
Lydia relinquished dower rights in land sold by George Bleighton in Prince George County and September 29,1733 when she purchased land on which she then lived in Martin's Brandon Parish.
*****
16 Nov 1686 \endash Mr. George BLIGHTON, 1,010 acres in Charles City County [on the south side of James River], beginning in Westrope's line, near an old Indian field, to the Southern Run, being 778 acres granted Edwards RICHARDS on 26 Sep1674, who deserted same, now granted said BLIGHTON by Order in Council, and 232 acres newly taken. For transportation of 21 persons."
"Deed 26 Jan 1693. John PRICE of Martins Brandon Parish, Charles City Co., planter, and Jane his wife, to George BLIGHTON of same, Gent., for exchange of a certain plantation in same parish, lately exchanged by said BLIGHTON with said PRICE, and also for 4000 lbs tobacco paid to said John, 800 acres, part of 1360 acres purchased by John WALL, grandfather of said John PRICE, from Rice HOE, dec'd, and bounded by James River, near mouth of Wards Creek, by Richard NEWMAN's land purchased of Joseph WALL, dec'd and by Matthew MARK's line. Wit: Tho. HAMELIN, Tho. WILKINS. Signed: John (P) PRICE, Jane (I) PRICE. Recorded 5 Feb 1693."
"Lydia CLEMENTS, who bought "Goodwyns" from William WILLSON in 1733, was a daughter* of GEORGE BLIGHTON."16 Aug1715 - Benjamin EVANS, 81 acres of New Land in Prince George County on the west side of the Ponds Run, adjoining the land of Captain GEORGE BLIGHTON [dec'd]. For 10 Shillings. (Virginia Patents, 10:241)" [*Error, widow of George BLEIGHTON, and in 1733, widow of Capt. Francis CLEMENTS. RLD]

"Mr. George BLIGHTON, 1010 acs. Chas City Co., 16 Nov 1686, p. 545. Beg. at WESTROP's line, near an old Indian field, to the Southern Run, &c. 778 acs. granted to Edward RICHARDS, 26 Sept. 1674, deserted, & granted to sd. BLIGHTON bo order, &c. 232 acs newly taken. Trans. of 21 persons*" [Early VA Families, Etc, Abstracts of Land Patents - Charles City County, p. 59-60]

"Mathew MARKS, 556 acs. Chas, City Co., in Martin Brandon Par, 21 Apr. 1690, p. 77. Beg. neer WARD's Run, by land late od Edward RICHARDS. by Mr. BLIGHTON, &c. Trans. of 12 pers: Tho. WELLS, Robt. WOOD, Jane WHITBY, Jno. SAMPSON, Adam GOOD, Wm. WRIGHT, Rich. LEWIS, Edwd. MORE, Walter LONG, Wm. WEBSTER, Diana & Robin, Negroes." [Early VA Families, Etc, Abstracts of Land Patents, Charles City County, pg 64-65]

"Ralph HILL, 176 acs. Chas. City Co., in Martons Brandons Par., 26 Oct. 1699, p. 225. Beg. by the S. branch at lower end of the meddows, on the paynt of a ridge bet. 2 branches, to land of Capt. George BLIGHTON. Trans. of 4 pers: Stephen SAMPSON. Senr., Mary, his wife, Jane & Stephen, his children." [Early VA Families, Etc, Abstracts of Land Patents, Charles City County, pg 74-75]

On 12 March 1701/2 the Governor and Council of Virginia made an address of loyalty to the King. A Similar Loyal Address was received from:
Charles City County
1702 Judges ... George BLIGHTON ... Militia Officers... George BLIGHTON
[http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:BF_mOJgWIOAJ:www.genealogy-quest.com/collections/ccco.html "George Blighton" virginia&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us]

George died not long after he confirmed his loyalty to the king in 1702. His widow, Lydia , became his executor, and soon remarried to Capt. Francis CLEMENTS. George's son, George, Jr. was not of age when his father died; Nathaniel HARRISON became his guardian. From the record below, George, Jr. became of age in or about 1712. placing his birth about 1691 if age 21.

Surry Court, held August 11, 1711, Francis CLEMENT and his wife, Lydia, administer the estate of George BLIGHTON.

"On motion of Nathaniel HARRISON, guardian to George BLEIGHTON, son of George BLEIGHTON, dec'd, it is ordered that he take in his possession the estate of said orphan in hands of Francis CLEMENTS and Lydia his wife, Adm'x of George BLEIGHTON, dec'd, being 310/12/1 and 10, 971 lbs tobacco, pursuant to accounts of estate enterred by said CLEMENTS 11 Feb. 1712." [Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly Volume 23 Number 1, p. 32]

Prince George County Records. During the seige of Petersburgm 1864-65, almost all of the records of Prince George county were destroyed or carried off by soldiers of Grant's army. A few volumes have been recovered. The last was an order book (court proceedings) 1714-1720. Following are extracts from it:
1714 - "Suit by John WOODSON vs. Francis CLEMENTS and Lyona [sic, Lydia] his wife adninistrix of George BLEIGHTON, deceased." [Virginia will Records, Prince George County Records, p. 263.]

"Benjamin EVANS, 81 acs. (N.L.). Pr. Geo. Co., beg. at land of Capt. Geo. BLAYTON, dec'd, on W. side of Ponds Run, 16 Aug. 1715, p. 241. 10 Shill."
******
Notes for FRANCIS CLEMENTS,1ST HUSBAND:
*****
Son of Jeremiah Clement (Re: 3) states that he was the fourth son. Some authorities claim that Francis was an original immigrant. (Re: 1) married Elizabeth Merriweather. He died 1721.She bore him five children, Francis, Jr., Benjamin, Thomas, Mary and Elizabeth. (Re: 8)

In his will is mention of a son Benjamin. This Benjamin was one of the founders of Lynchburg, Virginia. He married Susannah Hill in 1731 (1727). His will, filed in the records of Campbell County, Virginia, mentions Adam, born 1739. This Adam was a farmer in Bedford County where he married Agnes Johnson, January 27, 1765. (See pages16,Vol. II, Genealogy.)

In Book 7, p. 703, Land Patent Records, Richmond, Virginia, there is granted to Francis Clement, year 1689, 450 acres of land, due for the transportation of nine persons into the colony, and the list is headed with his own name, showing him to be an immigrant (Re: 2, p. 293). He represented Surry County in the House of Burgesses in 1692 (General House of Burgesses). He served as clerk of the General Assembly, 1699 (Journal of H. B.). He was clerk of Surry County from October 1697 to July 1708. (Surry Records) and his signature reads "Fra Clement". Francis Clement married first, Elizabeth Merriweather, a sister of William and Major Nicholas Merriweather (Surry Records, Deed Book 4, p. 46); second, Lydia (?) (probably Blighton), for at Surry Court, held August 11, 1711, Francis Clement and his wife, Lydia, administer the estate of George Blighton.

Prior to 1715, Francis Clement, senior, moved over into Isle of Wight County, for in that year he deeds, for love and affection, 516 acres toson, Francis Clement, Junior, and states: "I, Fra Clement, of Isle of Wight, do appoint loving friend, Nicholas Moggett of Surry, to be my true and lawful attorney to acknowledge the deed, etc."

The deed of Francis Clement, Sr., is recorded in Isle of Wight, 1719, in Vol. 2, p. 632 of wills and deeds. He bequeaths to son, Francis Clement " My plantation, commonly called the Springs, where the said Francis now dwells, containing 616 acres. My silver tankard (obliterated). To son, Thomas, 450 acres, a gun called Harrison, etc. To son Benjamin, my plantation on the north side of Nottaway River and 450 acres adjoining, daughters Mary and Elizabeth, wife Lydia, sole executor. To friend Cap. Nathaniel Riley, my silver sword, and to his wife, a morning ring." Slaves, Sam and Nannie. he sets free as a reward for faithful services, giving each 50 acres and a cow.
*****
Notes for GEORGE BLEIGHTON,SR.,2ND HUSBAND:
****
Dictionary of North Carolina Biography,
Volume 4 - L-O, edited by William S. Powell; Benjamin Laker
****
Dictionary of North Carolina Biography
Volume 3 H-K, edited by William S. Powell; Thomas Harvey - notes mother of Sarah as Jane
----
Biographical History of North Carolina: From Colonial Times to the Present edited by Samuel A. Ashe, vol. IV: John Harvey-notes mother of Sarah as Jane Dey
****
Lakaro, Benjamin
Perquimans Precinct
4-7-1701/7-8-1701
Wf and Ex Juliana 9lad on Parishes Ck0 Dau Sarah harvey 9book
grantham's church principles") Friend: george Bleighton Wit: Richard
French, Eliabaeth Steward, Deborah Thurston

Laker, Juliana
Perquimans Co
9-24-1735/1-1738
Ggrandson Benjamin Scarborough son of Mackeora Scarborough,plantation called the Chenifen Ridge Sister: Neptuania Hutson
Dau.Joanna Palmer other Legatees: hutson and Juliana Wortham, Martha Palmer, Samuel Palmer
Ex: Mackeora Scarborough Wit: John Banckey,
Paciana Creacy
****
Child of LYDIA LAKER and FRANCIS CLEMENTS is:
i.BENJAMIN5 CLEMENTS, b. South Hampton County,Virginia.
Children of LYDIA LAKER and GEORGE BLEIGHTON are:
ii.WILLIAM BLIGHTON5 BLEIGHTON, b. Abt. 1693, Surrey County,Virginia.
9.iii.GEORGE BLANTON BLEIGHTON,JR., b. Abt. 1695, King & Queen County,Virginia.
10.iv.UNKNOWN BLEIGHTON.

6. JUILANNA 'ANNA'4 LAKER,WIDOW PETERSON (BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. Mar 1696/97 in Perquimans County,North Carolina, and died Aft. 1735 in Perquimans County,North Carolina. She married (1) UNKNOWN PETERSON,1ST HUSBAND. She married (2) MACRORA SCARBOROUGH,SR.,2ND HUSBAND 23 Nov 1729 in Perquimans County,North Carolina, son of JOHN SCARBOROUGH and MARY UNKNOWN. He was born Abt. 1693 in Perquimans County,North Carolina, and died 31 Jan 1752 in Perquimans County,North Carolina.
Notes for JUILANNA 'ANNA' LAKER,WIDOW PETERSON:
*****
History of Perquimans County
By Ellen Goode Rawlings Winslow, Watson Mrs. Winslow
*****

Notes for MACRORA SCARBOROUGH,SR.,2ND HUSBAND:
****
This file was contributed for use in the USGenWeb
Archives by: Jerome Tew
****
Macrora Scarborough was born in 1693 and is listed in the IGI as the son of John Scarborough and wife Mary. Macrora Scarborough was the 1719 tax list for Pasquotank County NC.
Macrora was a JP in 1723 and was in the NC General Assembly by 1729.
On November 23, 1729, Macrora married Mrs. Anna Peterson. On June 8, 1733
Peterson Scarborough was born, he died on December 9, 1733.
During 1734, Benjamin Scarborough was born to Macrora and Anna Peterson Scarborough.
In 1735, Julianna Laker, the widow of Benjamin Laker, wrote her will and left property to Macrora and his son Benjamin.
Apparently Mrs. Anna Peterson was the daughter of Benjamin and Julianna Laker.
May 18, 1740, Judge Macrora Scarborough married Mrs. Elizabeth Reed, the widow of William Reed. Elizabeth Scaraborough was born on Feb. 15,1741.
MacRora accused of improper behavior, and he resigned as County Treasurer in 1745.
MacRora Scarborough Jr. is born on July 25,1746.
William Scarborough was born on Dec. 23, 1749.
Macrora Scarborough Sr. was connected to the NC Court system most of his life, he died in 1752.
**********
Will of Macrora Scarborough
----
In the name of God Amen, I, Macrora Scarborough of Perquimans County in the Province of North Carolina, Gentlemen; Being in good heath of Body and of Sound & Perfect Mind and Memory, Praise be therefore Given unto Almighty God for the same; But Calling to Mind the Mortality of My body, and knowing that it is Appointed for all Men Once to die, but not how Soon or Sudden it May be, Do therefore make & Ordaine this my Present Last Will and Testament in Manner and forme following (that is to say), first & Principally, I commend my Soul into the hands of Almighty God, hoping through the Merits, death, & Passion, of my Savior Jesus Christ, to have full and free pardon & forgiveness of all
my Sins, and to inherit Everlasting Life; And my body I commit to the Earth to be decently Buried at the Discretion of my Executors hereafter Named, nothing Doubting but at the General Resurrection, I shall receive the Same again by the Mighty Power of God. And as Touching the Disposition of all Such
Temporal Estate, as it hath pleased Almighty God to bestow upon me in this life, I Give & Dispose thereof as followeth:
Imprimis, I Will that all my Just debts & funeral Expenses be first paid and discharged in reasonable and convenient Time after my Decease.
Item..... I give and bequeath unto My well beloved Wife Elizabeth Scarborough, and to her Disposal, all that part of my Estate that may or will become due to me upon the Division of Mr. William Reed's, (Her former husband) Estate. I also give unto my said Wife, the use and Labour of two Negroes, Vizt:, Mink a fellow & Pasquotank Rose, a wench, during her widowhood, And after that, to be Divided as my other Estate is hereinafter Directed to be. .....I give likewise unto my said Wife, My Chest of Drawers, and the Six Silver teaspoons, Strainer & Tongs, which is more commonly used.
Item...... Bequeath Devise & I Give unto my son, Benjamin Scarborough [age 18], and his heirs forever, the land & plantation whereon I now Dwell, Called Springfield, and all other lands given to me by Mrs. Juliana Lakers, which may appear by her Deed of Gift to me, bearing date, ye 20th day of July, Anno
Domino 1731, reserving only the Use and Occupation of the houses, Plantation and that part of the land whereon I Now Dwell, unto my well beloved Wife, Elizabeth, During her Widowhood, if She thinks fit to live thereon. I also Give and bequeath unto my said son Benjamin, four Negroes, Vizt:
Nicholas & Dennis, two fellows, Nann & Venus, two wenches, Six Silver Spoons Marked "P"., my Silver Headed Cane, Silver Shoe Buckles, Knee buckles, fourteen Silver vest buttons, Black walnut desk, and all my wearing apparel. Item, I Give, bequeath, Devise Between My two sons, Benjamin and Macrora and their heirs forever, My Land & plantations at Yeopim, which I bought of Thomas
Wyatt, and now called Point Pleasant, Divided Between them as follows, Vizt.,
Beginning at ye Mouth of a Small branch issuing out of ye river, near the mouth of Yeopim Creek, Thence running up the Middle of the Said branch to a forked Sweet Gum, at the head of ye Said branch, Thence about west course thorough the clear'd ground to a Small Double Dick, so along the same to the End thereof, and from thence a straight course about ye middle of the Neck of land to a marked tree standing between a small pond & head of a branch making out of a Beaver Cover,
Thence the Same Course until it Intersects the line of William Wyatt's land adjoining thereto and my Son
Benjamin or his heirs to have the part binding on Yeopim River, and my Son Macrora [age 6] or his
heirs, the other part, binding on Yeopim Creek; Both parts of the said land, I give and Devise under This Restriction and directions, That neither of them nor their heirs, shall sell or Give their dividend or Part of the land afsd. (Unless it be to one another) or any part or Parcel thereof, unless they be or
their heirs, jointly agree to Dispose of the same, or any part of it, but if either of my two Said Sons, or their heirs shall presume contrary to this my Will & Desire, to make any deed or conveyance other than herein Directed, then in Such case, I hereby revoke the devise of their part in this land, And then
I do hereby absolutely give and Devise all the aforesaid land unto him and his Heirs forever, either of which of them my two sons, Benjamin or Macrora, their heirs that shall comply with the Conditions of this my Will and Testament.
But, if either of My two said Sons, Benjamin or Macrora, Should happen to die before they come to the age of twenty-one years, Then, and in such case, my Will is that the Survivors or his heirs have the whole tract or Parcel of Land forever.
And further my Will is, That Son Benjamin have the use and benefit of that part of Point Pleasant which I have herein given unto my son Macrora, until he, my said son, shall come to the age of fifteen years; Unless there be an occasion to dispose of the same to purchase other lands as hereafter directed, and provided, he my said son Benjamin, will let his mother in law [step Mother] my wife Elizabeth have use of for the same time of fourteen years of that part of the plantation whereon I now dwell and which is given to him by his grandmother, Juliana Lakers, otherwise, this request to be void. And my said wife, Elizabeth, to have the use and benefit thereof to better enable her to bring up said child so long as she shall have the care of him.
Item,.....I Give, Bequeath, & Devise unto my son Macrora, and his heirs forever, My Oak Ridge land, Containing two-hundred & one acres, as per the patent granted to me in the year of Our Lord, 1744. I also Give and Bequeath unto my Son Macrora, four Negroes, vizt., Little Rose, Welcome, Grace, and Suana; a quart Silver Can, my Silver Watch, Pinch back headed Cane, one good Black walnut Desk, to be bought for him, if the Same be not done before my decease, my copper Still & furniture thereunto belonging.
Item..... I Give, Bequeath, & Devise unto my son William [age 3], and his heirs forever, the land adjoining the land of Mr. Harvey, containing three hundred and ten acres, which I bought of John Pettiver & Benjamin Talbot, as may appear by their several deeds and conveyances, now upon record in the Registers Office of Perquimans County, and also I likewise, Give, bequeath & Devise unto my son, William, and his heirs forever, the land I bought of Robert Wilson, containing Thirty acres as by the conveyance may vary. And I also Give and bequeath unto my Son William, four Negroes, vizt: Sam, Doll, Tamer, and Pasquotank Dinah, a pint Silver Can, my Silver Snuffbox, and Mahogany Desk.
Item, I Give, Bequeath, & Devise unto my daughter Elizabeth, and heirs of her body lawfully gotten forever, the land and plantation I bought of Joseph Stewart, containing two hundred and thirty-eight acres as may appear by the patent thereof assigned to me by ye said Joseph Stewart. And in the failure of such heirs of my said daughter, I give the said land and plantation to my son Macrora and his heirs forever. I also give & bequeath, unto my Daughter Elizabeth [age 11], three Negroes, vizt:, Pompey, Dianna, and Margaret, six Silver Tea Spoons, a Cream Spoon, Sugar Tongs, and a New Strainer that came with them.
And further my Will is, and I do hereby Order and direct that in case any of the slaves herein given to any of my children afsd, should happen to die or otherwise be lost, before they be of age to receive them, that they then be made up unto them with Negroes not herein given by name, and the increase that may arise hereafter from any of the female Negroes before they are delivered shall also be given. So that each child's Negroes may be made, as good in value to them at the receiving time as they would have been had there not happened any death or other misfortune to them as aforesaid.
Item.... I Give and Bequeath unto my sons, Macrora Scarborough and William Scarborough, one hundred pounds sterling money of Great Britain to be divided equally between them. And to be Disposed of at the Discretion of my Executors, hereafter Mentioned towards purchasing Each of them a piece of good land and for no other use whatsoever. Further to make provision for a good settlement
of land for my two sd. Sons.I hereby Order and Empower my Exrs. Herein named, if need shall require (That is if the land that may happen to be bought is of greater value than can be had for the money here allotted.) to sell the land herein given to each of my two said sons, or so much thereof as may be sufficient for that purpose. And in case my Exrs. Should happen to disagree or differ in Opinion about the purchase of said land as to place or price of the land to be bought, or that which may be to be sold, in such case it is my Will that they apply to the court of Perquimans to appoint three of as Honest & Indifferent Men in the matter, and that is of knowledge & understanding, as they may get in the said
county, whose opinion of any two shall be binding on my Exrs. As to the matter.....
Item..... I give & Bequeath unto the children of my cousin Mary Atkinson, twenty pounds current money of Virginia or the value thereof in the produce of this country, to be paid for and toward schooling. Them or any of them that can get the opportunity thereof, and no other use whatsoever but learning them to read and write English, and thereby the better to interest them in the principles of the Christian Religion. And it is my Will & Desire there may be all the care possible taken that they or any of them may have this opportunity to learn.
Item.... I Give & Bequeath unto my son-in-law, [Brother-in-law, Edmund Hatch] my Black walnut Desk and Liquor Case of five, five-pint Bottles now in the house in Pasquotank.And for as much as the Slaves herein gave unto my two youngest Sons, Macrora & William Scarborough, are very young [6 & 3] and cannot be sufficient for their Education and bringing up in any Christian like Manner, therefore, it is my Will I do hereby order and direct Mulatto Fellow Harry to be sold or hired out for their support and that the disposition of said slave be under these restrictions and directions. That is to say, that if the said fellow can produce the some of forty pounds currant Gold and Silver money of Virginia or
any friend for him, then he shall be his own man, and at his Liberty.
But if neither can be accomplished, then my Exts. Hereafter nam'd, that is the acting ones, are to make sale of him to any person that will give fifty pounds currency afsd. For him, then is it my will that he be hired out for yearly or monthly wages for as much as can be got for him until the sum of fifty pounds
afsd. Be accomplished. Then for him to be set free and at his liberty as afsd. And it is my will and desire that the money arising by the sale or wages be applied to no other use than schooling and education on my two sons Macrora and William, And for buying them good and useful books such as may interest them in learning and the true Principals of Christianity.....
Item.... I give and bequeath all the rest of my estate be it what nature, kind, or quality so ever (and not herein before given), to be equally divided amongst my well beloved wife & and my four children, Vizt. Benjamin, Elizabeth, Macrora, & William. And I do hereby order and desire, and it is my will that in case any of my children afore named should die before coming of age or married, that then the whole part by this will should be equally divided amongst the survivors of them.
And in case the several legacies in this in this Will given to any of my children of Negroes by name, shall happen not any of them to die before they be received by my children, and they will not have no occasion to make up any loss, then it is my Will that any increase be equally divided amongst my
children or the survivors of them. This shall not be after they have received their legacies.
And furthermore, my Will and Desire is, that upon any division of my estate, that the part coming or belonging to either of my two youngest Sons, Macrora or William, that is by law deemed perishable and may grow much worse by keeping same until they become of age; may be appraised on oath by three
honest men, appointed by agreement of my Exrs. Or order of the court, and kept or sold by the acting Exrs. Who are to account and pay the same according to the appraisement, either in money or things of the same kind & equal in value in the judgement of them, under the same restrictions as aforesaid.
And I do hereby nominate, constitute, and appoint me Dear and well beloved wife, Elizabeth Scarborough Executrix, and my well beloved son, Benjamin Scarborough, Macrora Scarborough, and William Scarborough as Executors of this my Last Will and Testament, and I do hereby revoke, disannul, and make void, all former Wills and Testaments, by me heretofore made.
But if it shall so happen (which God forbid it should), that my wife and eldest son, who are most likely to be acting Exrs. In this my Will, should quarrel, differ, disagree, and suffer the adversary to peace to get the upper hand of them, so that to render their joint action as Exrs. Ought to do for the interest of every one concerned in the Will and thereby not to [fail] the trust imposed in them, which in my life, I have too often seen.Some have spent a great part of their own interest as well as that of the
orphans & others in no ways concerned with their differences. Which I hope in God and all mercy, peace, and truth, will not be the case here. But if it should, then it is my Will and I do hereby Nominate, Constitute, and Appoint my loving Brother John Scarborough, my brother-in-law, Edmund Hatch, and my friend William Burgis Sr., to be the overseers or trustees of all that part of my estate given by legacy or other ways becoming due by this my Will to any of my three children, vizt., Elizabeth, Macrora, & William, as also that Legacy given to the children of my cousin Mary Atkinson. Hereby desiring you my friends to accept & take upon you the trust if occasion shall be required on
the behalf of orphans and their estate. Accordingly to the true intent & meaning of this my Will, Hereby given and granted unto you all Power & Authority so to do as can be required either in Law or Equity.
In Witness whereof, I the said Macrora Scarborough, to this my present last Will & Testament have set my hand and seal this 31st day of January, Anno Domino, 1752.
---
Ma'c Scarborough (Seal)
----
Coat of Arms on Seal
****
Children of JUILANNA LAKER and MACRORA SCARBOROUGH are:
i.MACRORA5 SCARBOROUGH,JR..
ii.BENJAMIN SCARBOROUGH, b. Abt. 01 Sep 1730, Perquimans County,North Carolina.
iii.PETERSON SCARBOROUGH, b. 08 Jun 1733, Perquimans County,North Carolina; d. 09 Dec 1733.
iv.WILLIAM SCARBOROUGH, b. 23 Dec 1749.

Generation No. 5
7. THOMAS5 HARVEY,JR. (SARAH CATHERINE4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 06 Dec 1692 in Periquimans County,North Carolina, and died Bet. 10 Apr - 10 Nov 1720 in St. Thomas Parish,Orange County,Virginia. He married ELIZABETH COLE Abt. 04 Feb 1723/24 in Periquimans County,North Carolina, daughter of JAMES COLE,COLONEL. She was born Abt. 1696 in Periquimans County,North Carolina, and died in St. Thomas Parish,Orange County,Virginia.
Children of THOMAS HARVEY and ELIZABETH COLE are:
11.i.JOHN6 HARVEY, b. 11 Dec 1724, St Thomas Parish,Orange County,Virginia; d. Abt. 1781, Greenbrier County,West Virginia.
ii.THOMAS HARVEY,3RD.
iii.BENJAMIN HARVEY.
iv.MILES HARVEY.

8. MARY5 HARVEY,2ND WIFE (SARAH CATHERINE4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 20 Nov 1694 in Periquimans County,North Carolina, and died in Periquimans County,North Carolina. She married ROBERT WEST,COLONEL Abt. 1710 in Periquimans County,North Carolina, son of ROBERT WEST and MARTHA CULLEN. He was born 1690 in Periquimans County,North Carolina, and died in Periquimans County,North Carolina.
Notes for MARY HARVEY,2ND WIFE:
******
Children of Mary Harvey and Robert (Col.) West are: 21 i. Sarah (Saray) West was born ABT 1720.
ii. Mary West was born ABT 1720.
iii. Martha West was born ABT 1720. She married Churchill Reading in North Carolina, son of Lionel Reading.
iv. Ann West was born in , Bertie, North Carolina, and died BEF 15 SEP 1766 in Bertie, North Carolina. married Simon (Col.) Bryan in North Carolina, son of Lewis Bryan and Elizabeth Hunter. married 2nd Charles Worth Jacocks in , Bertie, North Carolina, son of Jonathan Jacocks and Mary Blount.
******
Children of MARY HARVEY and ROBERT WEST are:
i.MARTHA6 WEST, b. Periquimans County,North Carolina.
ii.SARAH WEST, b. Periquimans County,North Carolina.
iii.MARY WEST, b. Periquimans County,North Carolina.

9. GEORGE BLANTON5 BLEIGHTON,JR. (LYDIA4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1695 in King & Queen County,Virginia. He married SURRY COUNTY,VIRGINIA in Surry County,Virginia. She was born 1730 in Surry County,Virginia.
Notes for GEORGE BLANTON BLEIGHTON,JR.:
****
Two documents below for Wike Hunnicutt:
(Page 778) Prince George County,Virginia
Wills & Deeds 1713-1728
---
December 21,1724
George Bleighton of Martins Brandon Parish,Prince George County,Virginia to Robert Hall of same for 90, 562 acres lying on the Ponds Run in same parish and county bounded by line dividing Roert Hall and William Colgill's land.
The said 562 acres were laid off from a greater tract now belonging to the said George Bleighton, a parcel of land sold to Thomas Wright Sparrow February 12,1722, 100 acres included in bounds mentioned being excluded from deed.
---
Wit: William Harrison, Robert Hunnicutt, Robert Glover, WYKE Hunnicutt.
----
Recorded January 12,1724
Lydia Clements came to court and relinquished her dower right.
*****
Children of GEORGE BLEIGHTON and SURRY COUNTY are:
12.i.WILLIAM BLIGHTON BLEIGHTON BLATON6 BLAYTON,SR., b. 1757, Surrey County,Virginia; d. 1800, Surry County,Virginia.
ii.SARAH BLAYTON, b. Surrey County,Virginia.

10. UNKNOWN5 BLEIGHTON (LYDIA4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1)
Child of UNKNOWN BLEIGHTON is:
13.i.HAYLEY6 BLEIGHTON, b. 1735.

Generation No. 6
11. JOHN6 HARVEY (THOMAS5, SARAH CATHERINE4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 11 Dec 1724 in St Thomas Parish,Orange County,Virginia, and died Abt. 1781 in Greenbrier County,West Virginia. He married MARGARET BURK Abt. 1749 in St Thomas Parish,Orange County,Virginia. She was born Abt. 1729 in St Thomas Parish,Orange County,Virginia, and died in St Thomas Parish,Orange County,Virginia.
Children of JOHN HARVEY and MARGARET BURK are:
14.i.ELIZABETH7 HARVEY, b. Abt. 1749, St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia; d. Kentucky.
15.ii.BENJAMIN HARVEY, b. Abt. 1751, St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia; d. Abt. 1826, Monroe County,West Virginia.
iii.JOHN E. HARVEY, b. Abt. 1752, St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia.
iv.NICHOLAS HARVEY, b. Abt. May 1755, St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia.
v.JOSEPH HARVEY, b. 12 Nov 1756, St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia.
vi.JOSHUA CALVIN HARVEY, b. Dec 1769, Augusta County,Virginia.

12. WILLIAM BLIGHTON BLEIGHTON BLATON6 BLAYTON,SR. (GEORGE BLANTON5 BLEIGHTON,JR., LYDIA4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 1757 in Surrey County,Virginia, and died 1800 in Surry County,Virginia. He married SURRY COUNTY,VIRGINIA in Surry County,Virginia.
Notes for WILLIAM BLIGHTON BLEIGHTON BLATON BLAYTON,SR.:
********
GEORGE BLANTON (Tryon Co., N.C.born: ante 1742 died: Rutherford Co., N.C.
PARENTS: William Bleighton (Prince George Co. Va.)
Due to the constancy of the family in the area of Charles City Co., Va. that eventually became Mecklenburg Co., Va. it appears also that Thomas Blayton is the Virginia progenitor of this family, being the likely father of George (Prince George Co., Va.) and John Blayton (Prince George Co., Va.).
William Bleighton(Prince George Co., Va.) appears to be the son of George Blayton (Prince George Co., Va.) and the father of George (Tryon Co, N.C.), William (Rutherford Co., N.C.), and Reubin Blanton (Rutherford Co., N.C.).

SIBLINGS:
William (Rutherford Co., N.C.)
Reubin (Rutherford Co., N.C.)

MARRIED:
1. Elvira Lee of Va. (Tradition)
2. Susannah

CHILDREN:
Burwell b. 1762 Va. and d. 1861 N.C., son, John
William b. ca 1784 m. Sarah d. 1826 Tenn
John to Tenn 1820 d. 1830? Georgia, and sons: (John) Carter b. 1805 N.C. Thomas b. 1813 NC, Coleman b. 1814 NC,William ?, Richard B. 1816
Richard m. Sarah, d. 1821 N.C. and sons: Burrell, William,
John, Richard
Frances
Mary
Peggy
Ann Bridges
Catherine Bridges
Betsy

1764 Tithables by Edmund Taylor, St. James Parish, Lunenburg Southside - Lunenburg Co., Va. 1748-83
1764 John Blanton of Halifax Co., N.C. sells 400 a in Lunenburg Co., Va. to George Freeman Wit: William and George Blanton, William Howard
1764 George Blanton bought land in Bute Co., N.C. and was from Lunenburg Co., Va.
1769 appointed Commissioner of Peace Tryon Co., N.C.
1770, Dec with wife, Susannah in Tryon Co., N.C.

page 2
GEORGE BLANTON (Tryon Co., N. C. )
1796, 22 Jan George Blanton wife Susanna,
Children: Burrell,William, Frances, John, Mary, Peggy, Richard, Ann Bridges, Catherine Bridges and Betsy from Rutherford Co., N.C. wills

ca1802 died Rutherford Co., N.C.
Sunlight on the Southside Lists of tithes Lunenburg Co VA 1748-1783 by Bell 1764 Lunenburg Co St.James Parish pg 247
George Blanton tithes 3 land - Pg 247
Wm Blanton tithes 3 land 300 pg 259
James Blanton, Constable tithes 3 Saunders S McDowell 1st known ancestor in America
George Blanton Dinwiddle Co.VA came to Cleveland Co.NC (part of Mecklenburg Co. in 1765
Wife #1 Elvira Lee , mother of his children Wife # 2 Susanah Hamerick.
His will in Rutherford Co. Court House dated Jan 22,1796.

GEORGE BURWELL BLANTON CEMETERY
This cemetery is located in Cleveland County, N.C., No. 2 Township, on lands of Gilbert G. Ledbetter, and on Sharon-Flint Hill Road on high knoll mile west
of Beaver Dam Creek, 7 miles southwest of Shelby, on north side of present road. The cemetery is about 50 x 50 feet.

Date of survey: June 22, 1939
Workers: Forest Williams and Anson G. Melton

Inscription:
"J. B." DC (deceased I supposed), March 30, 1848. Aged 55 years, 10 months, 8 days

George Blanton and wife are buried in southeast corner, and his son,Burwell, and his wife in southwest corner with field rocks to their graves. Burwell Blanton was a Revolutionary War Soldier.
He was born in 1762 and died in 1860. A Federal Marker is now in process of being erected.
Also money being collected to purchase and erect large monument at these graves. The residence of Burwell Blanton stood some 200 feet south of graveyard.

Date by P. Cleveland Gardner:
North Carolina Wills, 1760 to 1800 by Col. Fred A. Olds, page 238, Rutherford County Wills
********
Child of UNKNOWN BLANTON is:
2.i.WILLIAM BLEIGHTON BLANTON, b. Prince George County, Virginia.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2 BLANTON (UNKNOWN1) was born in Prince George County, Virginia
Children of WILLIAM BLEIGHTON BLANTON are:
3.i.GEORGE3 BLANTON, b. Bet. 1730 - 1742, Tyron County, North Carolina; d. 1802, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
ii.REUBIN BLANTON10,11,12,13, b. 1740, Rutherford County, North Carolina14,15,16,17.
iii.WILLIAM BLANTON18,19,20,21, b. 1741, Rutherford County, North Carolina
------
Generation No. 3
3. GEORGE3 BLANTON (WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)was born Bet. 1730 - 1742 in Tyron County, North Carolina and died 1802 in Rutherford County, North Carolina.
He married (1) SUSANNAH UNKNOWN.
He married (2) ELVIRA LEE Bef. 1762 in Dinwiddle County, Virginia was born 1740 in Virginia
George Blanton a progenitor of the Blantons in Cleveland and Rutherford counties was born in Virginia ca. 1730. He was twice married, first to Elvira Lee of Virginia(Old Tyron & Rutherford Counties by Griffin) and second to Susanna, surname not known. He first appeared in Lunenbury County, Virginia records in 1763. The indenture states that George Hares bound himself for six years to George Blanton, planter. He again appeared in the St. James Parish having no land but with three tithables. In 1774 he bought land in Bute County(now Warren), and was identified as being from Lunenbury County, Virginia. It is not known if he ever lived in Bute County, North Carolina, for the next year the same land was sold for the balance of the purchase price.
George Blanton and his family had moved to Tyron County, NORTH CAROLINA, settling on First Broad River just below Chamber's Old Mill place on Shoal Creek. It was noted that he witnessed a deed in Tyron County, NORTH CAROLINA 19 May 1769.
The surname Blanton dates back to the fifteenth century, being an ancient Scott border family name. In 1754 reference was made to a John Blanton being knighted for Bravery by Queen Elizabeth, 1 of England. Representatives of the name came from England to the United States in early seventeenth century settling in Massachusetts and on both sides of the James River in Virginia. The Virginia branch became the founders of the families in North Carolina, however, the direct line of George Blanton to these families has yet to be established.
George Blanton was a planter and surveyor by trade and in order to protect his land investments he became very active in the affairs of Old Tyron County, and remained so until his death. These interests were shown in the following ways: The November, 1779 meeting of the North Carolina Council in New Bern ordered that his name be added to the Commission of Peace and Dedemus for Tyron County(Colonial Record Vol. In, Page. 149) The Tyron County Court Minutes show that he qualified as a justice and took his seat during the January term 1770, the first term after appointment.
George Blanton was anxious as to his land holdings, for in 1775 he was one of the petitioners to the King's most Excellent Majesty in Council asking that their land be returned to the province of North Carolina when the western boundary line was expanded (Colonial Records Vol. 9, 1260-1262).
The newly settled territory of Tyron County had few roads and as more land was acquired when the settlers moved into the area, it became necessary to build new roads and give more power to the courts. George Blanton was given many appointments such as laying out roads, serving on jury duty, witnessing deeds, tax collector, and serving as administrator of estates.
His name does not appear in the 1790 United Sates census of district, however, he was listed as a Justice of Peace and militia officer which bears out the fact that he was indeed in the district. In 1795 he was granted the privilege to build a mill on Shoal Creek waters Of First Broad River. In 1799 he was appointed to along with others, to lay off a town (Burr Town)on main Broad River between the mouth of First Little Broad and the mouth of Green River. The project failed when the state abandoned its efforts to make the rivers of North Carolina suitable for navigation.
On January 22, 1796, George Blanton made his will and named his two sons, Burwell and William as executors. The will was probated in Rutherford County, North Carolina, Court 13 October 1802. He named his wife Susanna, and the following children: Burwell, Ann Bridges, Catherine Bridges,William, Betsy Bridges, Frances, John, Peggy, and Richard.
Burwell Blanton, born 1 November 1762, in Virginia, died 14 May, 1861 Cleveland County NC. His first wife was Phoebia Margaret Bridges and his second wife was Mary "Poly" Wiley of South Carolina. Ann married a Bridges(no record of this family has been found). Catherine married William Bridges, William married Sarah Gilchrist and moved to Tennessee. He died 3 October 1826.

Betsy married a Bridges(no record of this family has been found). Frances born 1775, died 13 January, 1849 married James Hamrick, son of Samuel Hamrick and wife Mary. Their children were: William, Albert, Allen Dillard, and Thompson Hamrick. John, born ca 1778 married and moved to Tennessee. He had five sons: John Carter, Thomas, Coleman, William, and Richard. The families of Peggy and Mary have not been identified.
Richard Blanton, the youngest son died in 1821. He married Sarah, surname not known. Their children were: Malinda, Susannah, Willam Ross, Hester, and Elizabeth L. (estate settlement, NC. archives).
George Blanton owned eighteen hundred acres of land at the time of his death. He is buried in his old home place in Cleveland County, along with his son Burwell Blanton and family. A field stone marked his grave.
Sources: Rutherford County court records and family records.
--Mrs. S. Arnold Ramey
GEORGE BLANTON:Date born 2: 1730, Dinwiddle County, Virginia57,58
Burial: Blanton land, Rutherford North CarolinaOccupation: Early planter
Will 1: January 22, 1796, Made his will
Will 2: October 13, 1802, Will probated
Marriage: Bef. 1762, Dinwiddle County, Virginia
Children of GEORGE BLANTON and ELVIRA LEE are:
4.i.SUSANNAH4 BLANTON.
ii.JOHN BLANTON58, b. 176358.
5.iii.RICHARD BLANTON, b. 1764; d. 1821, North Carolina.
6.iv.FRANCES BLANTON, b. 1775; d. January 13, 1849.
v.MARY BLANTON59,, b. 1776
vi.PEGGY BLANTON66,, b. 1777
vii.ANN BLANTON b. 1778; m. UNKNOWN SON BRIDGES
viii.CATHERINE BLANTON b. 1779 m. WILLIAM BRIDGES86.
ix.BETSY BLANTO b. 1780; m. UNKNOWN SON BRIDGES
x.WILLIAM BLANTON b. 1784 d. 1826, Tennessee m. SARAH GILCHRIST
7.xi.BURWELL BLANTON, b. November 01, 1762, Dinwiddle County, Virginia; d. May 14, 1861, Cleveland County, North Carolina.

Generation No. 4
4. SUSANNAH4 BLANTON (GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1) married GEORGE HAMRICK114,115 Bef. 1739
Children of SUSANNAH BLANTON and GEORGE HAMRICK are:
8.i.JAMES5 HAMRICK, b. 1739.
ii.JONES HAMRICK115, b. 1740115.
iii.FREDRICK HAMRICK115, b. 1741115.
iv.MOLLIE HAMRICK115, b. 1742115.
v.SAMUEL HAMRICK115, b. 1743115.
vi.SUSANNA HAMRICK115, b. 1744115.
9.vii.REBECCA HAMRICK, b. 1745.

5. RICHARD4 BLANTON (GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1) was born 1764121,122, and died 1821 in North Carolinamarried SARAH UNKNOWN
Children of RICHARD BLANTON and SARAH UNKNOWN are:
i.BURRELL5 BLANTON132,133,134,135,136.
ii.WILLIAM ROSS BLANTON137,138,139,140,141,142.
iii.JOHN BLANTON143,144,145,146,147.
iv.RICHARD BLANTON148,149,150,151.
v.MALINDA BLANTON152,153.
vi.SUSANNAH BLANTON154,155.
vii.HESTER BLANTON156,157.
viii.ELIZABETH L BLANTON158,159.

6. FRANCES4 BLANTON (GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)was born 1775 and died January 13, 1849 married (1) JAMES HAMBRICK married (2) JAMES HAMRICK was born 1769178, and died 1859 Marriage: 1806
Child of FRANCES BLANTON and JAMES HAMRICK is:
10.i.WILLIAM5 HAMRICK, b. 1807.

7. BURWELL4 BLANTON (GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)181,182 was born November 01, 1762 in Dinwiddle County, Virginia183,184,185,186, and died May 14, 1861 in Cleveland County, North Carolina187,188,189,190. He married (1) PHOEBA MARGARET BRIDGES191,192,193,194 1782195,196, daughter of JAMES BRIDGES and REBECCA HAMRICK. She was born 1766 in Cleveland, Rowan County, North Carolina196, and died 1830196. He married (2) PHEOBIA MARGARET BRIDGES197,198 1786198, daughter of JAMES BRIDGES and REBECCA2 HAMRICK. She was born 1766 in Cleveland, North Carolina He married (3) MARY WILEYBef. 1835 was born 1798 in South Carolina
Burwell Blanton (1762-1861) known as "Grand sir Burwell", was born 1 November 1762, Dinwiddie County, Virginia. The oldest son of George Blanton (early planter) and Elvira Lee (History of Old Tryon & Rutherford Counties by Griffin).
He came with his father to old Tyron County(now Cleveland County) NORTH CAROLINA from Lunenburg County, Virginia about the year 1769. In 1781 he was drafted for service in the Revolution and served as a private in Capt. Navals Co. NORTH CAROLINA Militia, commanded by Col. John Earls (National Archives N. BLWT 59093-160-55). He walked to Charlston to the relief of General Lincoln, the General having surrendered before they arrived.
Burwell Blanton was twice married, first to Phoeba Margaret Bridges, daughter of James and Rebecca Hamrick Bridges. They settled on Beaver Dam creek on First Broad River near his father George Blanton. Here he lived until his death 14 May 1861 being 99 years old. During these years he followed agricultural pursuits. He was also active in the affairs of the county. His name appears often in deeds, county business, and court appointments. He was often appointed overseer of public roads in his area. Roads were a community project for which all citizens were required to bear the responsibility of maintaining. Ferries were used in crossing streams, bridges were nonexistent.
A grandchild Burwell Blanton described him as "a man of uncommon physical abilities and of good mind, but a laboring man. With him not to work with his hands was sin: Idleness was a vice he did not indulge, nether would he allow it to be around him." He had by his first marriage ten children, each of them rearing large families which are the forebears of the Cleveland and Rutherford counties' Blantons. These children were: John Blanton(ca. 1785-1847) married Rebecca Hughes (b. 6 October 1789; Died. ca. 1876) the daughter of Revolutionary solider William Hughes (ca. 1750-1835) and Nancy Bowers (Died. 5 March 1843). Their children were: Burwell "Lawyer Burt", Andrew, Nancy, Julia Ann, Rebecca, William, ,John, Mary, Matilda, and Franklin.
James Blanton(1787-1833) married first Mary Bridges. Four children were born of this union: Benjamin Edwards, Mary Ann, Lucy F., and Edward Manson. After Mary's death James Blanton married Rebecca Hamrick. Their children were: Francis A, Drury Allen, Margaret, Priscilla, James H., George and Sarah Ann. (The Bible record of Mr. Grason Blanton of Spindale, North Carolina): Jesse Blanton(ca. 1789-1875) married three times. First to Nancy Watkins(1795-1838) buried at Buffalo Church, daughter of Daniel Watkins. Second wife was Francis "Fanne" Tate (b. 1805). Third wife, Lidia Sepaugh (b. 1834 South Carolina). He served in the war of 1812 for which Lidia received a pension for his service. He died in York, South Carolina. None of Jesse's children have been identified as of this writing. Sarah "Sally" Blanton oldest daughter of Burwell Blanton was born ca. 1790, married 22 March 1809 to Young Hughes(1784-1860) son of William Hughes and wife Nancy Bowers Hughes. Their children were:!
Richard, J. Putnam, Narciissus, Artelessa, Elizabeth, Susanna, Sara, Wesley, and Amos Hughes.
Nancy Blanton born 11 February 1792 married 27 July 1818 to Joseph Byers(b. 7 June 1792). Their children were: Joseph Clayton, Burwell Benson, George, Elizabeth, and William Byers. After the death of Joseph, Nancy married Abram Padgett(b. 1790 SOUTH CAROLINA) Elizabeth Blanton (b. ca. 1800) married ca. 1820 Thomas Harris(1799-1887), their children were:Burwell, Margaret, and Emiline. After Elizabeth death Thomas married twice. First to Matilda Watkins and second to Suie Watkins (sisters).
Susanna "Susan" Blanton (b. ca. 1801) married William Winn(1795-ca. 1870). Their children were: Wallace, Mary, Margaret, Fannie, Julia Ann, Lucretia, Emma, Octavia, Sara and Elizabeth (Jones.).
George Blanton ((1802-1835) married 27 September 1831 Priscilla Harrill, daughter of Samuel and Susanna Hamrick Harill. He was a merchant. His will is recorded in Rutherford County, North Carolina. He is buried at Concord Church, Rutherford County. Their children were: Susannala "Sukie", Margaret "Peggy", Baity "Bate", James Hill, Guilford E, and Priscilla Jane. After the death of George Blanton Priscilla married a Burge; George Blanton the first sheriff Cleveland County(b. 1804-Died. 1866) married 1 January 1823 to Judith Hamrick(1805-1864) daughter of George and Phoeba Wright Hamrick. Charles and Judith are buried at Zion Baptist Church. Their twelve children were: James Wesley, Albert, Elizabeth, Elvira, George, William Miller, Burwell, Martha Jane, John Bailey, Charles Pinkney, Jesse Guilford, Judith Margaret, and Sara Frances.
Burwell Blanton's second wife was Mary "Polly" Wiley (b. 1798 SOUTH CAROLINA). They had one child, Burwell Wiley. Burwell Wiley Blanton born in 1835 was killed at the Battle of the Wilderness. He married Elizabeth Jane Turner(b. 1836). Their children were Burwell W., Mary E., Nancy S,. and Eliza Jane. After his death Elizabeth Jane married James "Jim" Madison Champion.
B.H. Bridges of Rutherford County, North Carolina stated in a 1912 letter "I have seen "Grand sir" Burwell many times. My father lived near him. He died when I was about twelve years old. He was confined to a large rolling chair, not able to walk, for a year or two before his death. His grandson, "Lawyer" Burt Blanton (son of John) was appointed his guardian." On 13 February 1857 at the age of 93 Burwell Blanton was granted a County Land Warrant for 160 acres. A government marker is at his grave in family cemetery. His father, George Blanton is also buried in the cemetery. (Cleveland County Cemetery Records in the Museum).
Mrs. S. Arnold Ramey
Name 2: Burwell Grancer Blanton
Military: 1781, Revolution, served as private NC Miliita
Children of BURWELL BLANTON and PHOEBA BRIDGES are:
11.i.JOHN5 BLANTON, b. 1785, Cleveland County, North Carolina; d. December 01, 1847, Cleveland County, North Carolina.
12.ii.JAMES M BLANTON, b. June 26, 1787; d. May 14, 1861.
13.iii.GEORGE BLANTON, b. November 12, 1791; d. June 02, 1863, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
iv.ELIZABETH LEE BLANTON, b. 1800; d. 1840.
v.SUSANNA BLANTON, b. 1801; d. 1883.
vi.CHARLES BLANTON, b. May 18, 1804, Tyron County, North Carolina; d. April 26, 1866.
Children of BURWELL BLANTON and PHEOBIA BRIDGES are:
17.vii.ELIZABETH5 BLANTON.
viii.GEORGE1 BLANTON214.
ix.CHARLES1 BLANTON214.
18.x.NANCY BLANTON, b. February 11, 1792.
xi.SUSANNA1 BLANTON214.
xii.JESSE BLANTON214,215,216, b. 1789216; d. January 19, 1875, York, South Carolina216; m. (1) NANCY WATKINS217,218, 1809218; b. 1795218; d. June 19, 1838, South Carolina218; m. (2) FRANCIS TATE219,220, Bet. 1830 - 1840220; b. 1805220; m. (3) LIDIA SEPAUGH221,222, 1863222; b. 1834, South Carolina Marriage: 1863
xiii.JAMES BLANTON
xiv.JOHN BLANTON
xv.SARAH BLANTON, b. 1790.

Child of BURWELL BLANTON and MARY WILEY is:
20.xvi.BURWELL WILEY5 BLANTON, b. January 07, 1835, Cleveland County, North Carolina; d. May 05, 1864, Wilderness, Virginia.

Generation No. 5
8. JAMES5 HAMRICK (SUSANNAH4 BLANTON, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)224,225 was born 1739 married SUSANNAH UNKNOWN
Child of JAMES HAMRICK and SUSANNAH UNKNOWN is:
i.GEORGE6 HAMRICK

9. REBECCA5 HAMRICK (SUSANNAH4 BLANTON, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1 was born 1745 married JAMES BRIDGES 3 Bef. 1762 son of JAMES BRIDGES and REBECCA HAMRICKwas born Abt. 1745
Name 2: James Bridges
Children of REBECCA HAMRICK and JAMES BRIDGES are:
i.PHOEBA MARGARET6 BRIDGES, b. 1766, Cleveland, Rowan County, North Carolina; d. 1830.
ii.NANCY BRIDGES, b. 1768; d. October 1822, Rutherford, Burke County, North Carolina.

10. WILLIAM5 HAMRICK (FRANCES4 BLANTON, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1) was born 1807
Children of WILLIAM HAMRICK are:
23.i.THOMAS6 HAMRICK.
ii.ALBERT HAMRICK242,243.
iii.ALLEN DILLARD HAMRICK244,245.
iv.THOMPSON HAMRICK246,247.

11. JOHN5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)248,249,250,251,252 was born 1785 in Cleveland County, North Carolina252, and died December 01, 1847 in Cleveland County, North Carolina252. He married REBECCA HUGHES253,254,255 1807 in Rutherford County, North Carolina256,257. She was born October 06, 1789 in Cleveland County, North Carolina257, and died 1876 in Cleveland County, North Carolina257.
John Blanton known as "Buck" was born ca. 1785, died 1 December 1847 was the son of Burwell Blanton, the Revolutionary solider and Phoebia Margaret Bridges Blanton. He married Rebecca Hughes (1789-Died. ca. 1876), daughter of Revolutionary solider William Hughes and wife Nancy Bowers Hughes.
John Blanton and family lived on Beaver Dam Creek in Cleveland County. The old home place is located behind what is now known as Cleveland Memorial Park. The family cemetery is nearby where John and Rebecca, along with Rebecca's parents are buried. John Blanton's estate settlement indicated that he was a very successful farmer. To this union were born ten children.
(1) Burwell (1809-1877) was known in the area as "Lawyer Burt". Although he had no legal training he was often~en called upon to write wills and other important documents. He too, was a successful farmer. He lived with his blind mother and his sister Malinda. He never married and when he wrote his will in 1877 he gave all his property to his beloved sister Malinda, naming his youngest brother, Franklin Blanton, as executor of his estate. His grandfather Burwell Blanton, for whom he was named appointed him executor of his estate.
(2) Andrew "Andy" Blanton (b. 1811) married (1838) Elizabeth Jane Jolly(b. 1820). His second wife was Elizabeth Winn (b. 1830) whose first husband was Lemual Pearson. Their children were: William C., Karolina, Messeleny, Eady E., Rebecca, Burrel A., Elizabeth J., and Nancy S.
(3) Nancy Blanton (1814-1887) married Peter Bedford. They had one child Malinda Bedford who married Thomas Stroud.
(4) Julia Ann (b. 1817-Died.?) married 26 December 1839 to Samuel Marion Dunn (b. 1818 Lincoln County, NORTH CAROLINA). He was a boat maker by trade. He fought in the civil War on side of the Union. He and Julia Ann lived in South Carolina before moving to Tennessee. Their children were: John, Samuel, Phillip, Charlotte, Nellie, Rebecca, and Noah Dunn.
(5) Rebecca Blanton(1820-1891) married Lewis "Dock" Jolley(1812-1898) who was solider in the French and Indian war. Their children were: Martha and Jesse Goven Jolley. Lewis Jolley's first wife was Mary McCraw.
(6) William Blanton(1817-1907) married 29 July, 1856, Aimira (Elmina) N. Hughes(1839-1902). Their children were: John, Linda Jane, Greenberry, William Franklin, and Mollie Blanton.
(7) John Blanton(1826-1862) married Sarah "Aunt" Sack" Hughes (b. 1829). Their children were: Elizabeth, Malindy, Tucker, and Jesse Blanton.
(8) Mary Blanton( b. 1827) married 22 April 1856, her first cousin Burwell Benson Byers (b. 1828). Their children were: Benjamin Franklin, John James, Joseph Crayton, Mary and Nancy Blanton.
(9) Malinda Blanton(1830-1897) never married. She lived with her mother Rebecca, and brother "Lawyer Burt" Blanton. After their death her niece, Mary Etta Blanton and nephew, William Franklin Blanton took care of her, and in return for this service inherited her property (Cleveland County Will Book 1). Malinda is buried with her parents in the family cemetery.
(10) Franklin "Frank" Blanton(1831-1915) the youngest child, marfled Sarah Chitwood(1839-1890) of Rutherford County. She was the daughter of Jesse Chitwood (a solider in the war of 1812) and wife Sarah Horton. Franklin and Sarah moved to Hollis, NORTH CAROLINA where he engaged in farming. Their children were: Jesse, Burwell "Burt", Mary Malinda, Sarah "Sally", William F. "Bill", Nancy Elizabeth "Lizzie", Frances "Fannie", and Eliza Blanton. Sources: Family Records
-Mrs. S. Arnold Ramey.
More About JOHN BLANTON:Date born 2: Rutherford County, North Carolina258,259
Died 2: November 01, 1847, Near Beaver Dam Creek, Cleveland County, North Carolina260,261
Burial: Cleveland Memorial Park
Date born 2: October 06, 1789, Lundenburg County, Virginia262,263
Burial 1: Cleveland Memorial Park263
Burial 2: Hughes/Blanton Family Cemetery, Cleveland County, North Carolina
Children of JOHN BLANTON and REBECCA HUGHES are:
i.BURWELL6 BLANTON268 b. November 23, 1809, Cleveland County, North Carolina270; d. 1877
ii.DARRELL BLANTON270, b. 1810270.
24.iii.ANDREW BLANTON, b. December 12, 1811, Cleveland County, North Carolina; d. 1905, Cleveland County, North Carolina.
25.iv.NANCY BLANTON, b. 1815, Cleveland County, North Carolina; d. November 01, 1887.
26.v.JULIA ANN BLANTON, b. 1817, Cleveland County, North Carolina.
27.vi.WILLIAM CARY BLANTON, b. August 04, 1817, Rutherford County, North Carolina; d. September 04, 1907.
vii.REBECCA BLANTON, b. 1820, Rutherford County, North Carolina; d. June 1891.
viii.MARY PRESCILLA BLANTON, b. May 13, 1827, Rutherford County, North Carolina; d. June 14, 1901, Ellenboro, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
ix.JOHN BLANTON, b. 1828, Rutherford County, North Carolina; d. August 01, 1862.
x.MALINDA BLANTON271,272,273, b. 1830, Cleveland County, North Carolina273; d. January 20, 1897
xi.FRANKLIN BLANTON, b. September 23, 1831, Rutherford County, North Carolina; d. August 07, 1915, Hollis, North Carolina.

12. JAMES M5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)274,275,276 was born June 26, 1787276, and died May 14, 1861276. He married (1) MARY BRIDGES277,278,279,280 1807280, daughter of JAMES BRIDGES and REBECCA3 HAMRICK. He married (2) REBECCA HAMRICK281,282,283 Bef. 1820
Children of JAMES BLANTON and MARY BRIDGES are:
32.i.BENJAMIN EDWARD6 BLANTON, b. October 24, 1808, Cleveland County, North Carolina; d. April 14, 1899, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
ii.MARY ANN BLANTON286,287, b. 1809287.
iii.WILLIAM ASBURY BLANTON288,289, b. 1809289; m. LUCINDY LOVELACE290,291; b. 1808291.
iv.LUCY F BLANTONb. July 06, 1815293; d. July 06, 1878 Burial: Lee Family Cemetery
v.EDWARD MANSON BLANTON294,295, b. 1816295.

Children of JAMES BLANTON and REBECCA HAMRICK are:
vi.FRANCIS A6 BLANTON296,297,298, b. 1820298.
33.vii.DRURY ALLEN BLANTON, b. January 22, 1822, Rutherford County, North Carolina; d. July 17, 1889, Cleveland County, North Carolina.
viii.MARGARET BLANTON299,300, b. 1826300.
ix.PRISCILLA BLANTON301,302, b. 1827302.
x.JAMES HAMRICK BLANTON303,304, b. 1828304; m. CATHERINE LEDBETTER305,306, March 15, 1855, Cleveland County, North Carolina307,308; b. 1837308.

More About JAMES BLANTON and CATHERINE LEDBETTER:
Marriage: March 15, 1855, Cleveland County, North Carolina
xi.GEORGE BLANTON b. 1832 Never married
xii.SARAH ANN BLANTON313,314, b. 1833
13. GEORGE5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)was born November 12, 1791 and died June 02, 1863 in Rutherford County, North Carolina317. He married PRISCILLA HARRILLon September 27,1821 in Rutherford County, North Carolina was born Bet. 1798 - 1800 in North Carolina, and died September 1862
Burial: Concord Church, Rutherford County, North CarolinaOccupation: merchant
Marriage: September 27, 1821, Rutherford County, North Carolina
Children of GEORGE BLANTON and PRISCILLA HARRILL are:
34.i.SUSANNAH6 BLANTON, b. 1823.
35.ii.JAMES HILL BLANTON, b. 1824; d. April 11, 1907.
36.iii.MARGARET LOUISE BLANTON, b. February 12, 1825; d. October 31, 1896, Shelby, Cleveland County, North Carolina.
37.iv.PRISCILLA JANE BLANTON, b. 1830; d. June 12, 1916.
38.v.BATEY SAWYER BLANTON, b. January 29, 1837; d. April 18, 1858.
vi.GUILFORD E BLANTON327,328,329, b. 1839329; d. April 1863329; m. MARY JOHNSTON

14. ELIZABETH LEE5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)332,333 was born 1800333, and died 1840e married THOMAS HARRIS was born January 10, 1799336, and died September 07, 1887336.

16. CHARLES5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)389,390 was born May 18, 1804 in Tyron County, North Carolina, and died April 26, 1866 married JUDITH HAMRICK January 01, 1823 daughter of GEORGE2 HAMRICK and PHOEBA WRIGHT. She was born July 08, 1805 and died October 12, 1864
Charles Blanton, son of Burwell Blanton and Phoebe Margaret(Bridges) Blanton was born May 18, 1804, Tryon County near present Shelby. On January 1, 1823 he married Judith Hamrick, daughter of George and Phoebe(Wright) Hamrick. That February a deed was registered for a farm his father sold him for $350.00. They had 12 children.
In 1841 after Cleveland County was formed Charles was appointed by the Justices of the Peace, who were the governing body, the first Sheriff and county treasurer. He was re-elected for 10 years. William Weathers loaned his two story house near Zion Church for the courthouse until the county seat was located.
Charles collected the taxes and carded the money to delivered in his saddle bags. It was said that "the taxes sometimes amounted to as much as $500.00 but he never carried a gun.
Mrs Victor McBrayer, mother of Mrs. Paul Webb, Sr., and Mrs. Penny Owen, saved a newspaper clipping of 1912 about early settlers of this area in which Re. L.L. Smith reported that Charles Blanton, Mrs. McBrayer's grandfather, said of politics.,"We will never have good times and economy in taxes until we quit sending lawyers and doctors to the legislature." Complaints about taxes seem always to be with
Charles Blanton's house which is still standing, is north west of the Dover Mill. It was on the old Post Road from Rutherfordton to Lincolnton. It ran past Zion Church where he is buried, along with an infant child, his wife, and two sons killed in the Civil War.
The children of Chafes and Judith Blanton were: (1) James Wesley b. November 1, 1823-d. 1845, (2)Albert b. January 7, 1826, m. Roxanna Irvin; (3)Elizabeth Elvira b. January 1, 1828, m. Rev. Joseph Suttle; (4) George b. January 8, 1830, m. Mary Jane Elliot; (5) William Miller b. February 1, 1832, m. Josephine Setzer; (6) Burwell b. January 7, 1834, m. Frances Caroline Doggett and Pattie Ramsey; (7) Martha Jane, b. January 1, 1836, m. Sheriff Dury Dobbins Suttle;, (8) John B., b. February 19, 1838, m. Catherine Stroud; (9) Charles Pinkney, b. July 30, 1840, d. 1862 in Civil War; (10) Jesse Guilford, b. December 6, 1842, d. 1884 innCMl War; (11) Margaret b. February 12, 1845, m. Minor Winn Doggett; (12) Sara b. April 12, 1848, d. 2 months old.
Burwell Blanton was the son of Charles and Judith (Hamerick) Blanton. He was born August 27, 1834, west of Shelby, and named for his grandfather, Burrell, but not spelled phonetically. On August 16, 1855 he married Frances Caroline Doggett, the daughter of Coleman and Mary Ann (Smith) Doggett. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Thomas Dixon. They began their married life in a very small house north of Shelby.
As we might today, "Fannie" traveled home to her mother near the present airport when her first child, Charles Coleman, was born in 1858. More children came: Mary (m. Richard Eskridge), Margaret (m. George M. Webb), Dora(m. Rush Oates), George (m. Ida Wood), Edgar (m. Mae Martin).
Burwell and his children worked hard to enlarge his holdings. The census of 1880 lists his nine year old son George, as "farmer." As the family grew Burwell built a bigger house three miles west of Shelby near his flour mill on Brushey Creek. It has been said that Fanny was the first women in the county to have a cook stove. Even if the story is not true it suggests the primitive conditions our pioneer ancestors encountered during the first hundred years of settlement of this area.
In 1880 Burwell built a house in town on West Marion Street, now moved to and bought into the bank. George, the 9 year old "farmer", then went to Captain Martin's High School on West Marion
Street where the old High School was later built. He graduated from Wake Forest College with Dr. Everette Lattimore and Judge Edwin Yates Webb.
In 1889 Burwell was appointed one of the first trustees of the newly formed North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts. His name is on the cornerstone of the first building.
In 1882 as the family was walking to church Past Dr. McBrayer's house at the comer of West Marion Street and Cemetery Road the doctor greeted them then said to his wife, "I must bleed Fannie tomorrow. She is too red." That night she had a stoke and died.
In 1893 Burwell married Martha (Pattie) Ramsey. The newspaper of June 1, 1893 said "The marriage took place inn the parlor of the Shelby Hotel which had been beautifully decorated for the occasion, and was witnessed by a few of the relatives and intimate friends of the contracting parties. Immediately after the ceremony the Bride and groom left in the private car of Superintendent Tripp on the 3 C's for a week stay in Charleston."
In 1885 Burwell bought out the bank and named it B. Blanton & Co., Bankers. He also bought the bankers Second Empire house North Lafayette St. where his grandson George Blanton, Jr. now lives.
Burwell died in 1908 and is buried in Sunset Cemetery in Shelby. He was a hard working responsible citizen who prospered in building up his community.

17. ELIZABETH5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)
She married THOMAS HARRIS was born January 10, 1799and died September 07, 1887
Second husband to Elizabeth Blanton
Children of ELIZABETH BLANTON and THOMAS HARRIS are:
47.i.MARGARET C.6 HARRIS, b. Abt. 1825, South Carolina; d. February 14, 1889.
48.ii.BURWELL HARRIS, b. January 29, 1822; d. February 03, 1907.
iii.EMELINE HARRIS412, m. CHARLES BRIDGES

18. NANCY5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)417,418,419 was born February 11, 1792.
She married (1) ABRAM PADGETT was born 1790 in South Carolina.
She married (2) JOSEPH BYERS was born June 07, 1792
Second husband JOSEPH BYERS:
First husband
Marriage: July 27, 18184
Children of NANCY BLANTON and JOSEPH BYERS are:
i.JOSEPH CLAYTON6 BYERS b. 1819
ii.GEORGE BYERS426,427, b. 1821
iii.ELIZABETH BYERS428,429, b. 1822
iv.WILLIAM BYERS430,431, b. 1823
BURWELL BENSON BYERS, b. February 03, 1828, Rutherford County, North Carolina; d. August 24, 1898.

19. SARAH5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)432,433,434 was born 1790434. She married YOUNG HUGHES on March 22, 1809.
He was born 1784436, and died Nickname: SallyMarriage: March 22, 1809436
Children of SARAH BLANTON and YOUNG HUGHES are:
i.RICHARD J6 HUGHES437,438, b. 1810
ii.PUTNAM HUGHES439,440, b. 1811
iii.NARCISSUS HUGHES441,442, b. 1812
iv.ARTELESSA HUGHES443,444, b. 1813
v.ELIZABETH HUGHES445,446, b. 1814
vi.SUSANNA HUGHES447,448, b. 1815
vii.SARA HUGHES449,450, b. 1816
viii.WESLEY HUGHES451,452, b. 1817
ix.AMOS HUGHES453,454, b. 1818

20. BURWELL WILEY5 BLANTON (BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)455,456 was born January 07, 1835 in Cleveland County, North Carolina
and died May 05, 1864 in Wilderness, Virginia4. He married MARIAH ELIZABETH JANE TURNER Bef. 1857 She was born January 07, 1836 and died 1921

Generation No. 6
21. PHOEBA MARGARET6 BRIDGES (REBECCA5 HAMRICK, SUSANNAH4 BLANTON, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)471,472,473,474 was born 1766 in Cleveland, Rowan County, North Carolina474, and died 1830474. She married BURWELL BLANTON son of GEORGE BLANTON and ELVIRA LEE. He was born November 01, 1762 in Dinwiddle County, Virginia and died May 14, 1861 in Cleveland County, North Carolina
Burwell Blanton and Descendants
[...]
Military: 1781, Revolution, served as private NC Miliita494
Nickname: Grandsir Burwell
Marriage: 1782
Children are listed above under (7) Burwell Blanton.
22. NANCY6 BRIDGES (REBECCA5 HAMRICK, SUSANNAH4 BLANTON, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)497,498 was born 1768498, and died October 1822 in Rutherford, Burke County, North Carolina498. She married PRICE HAMRICK499,500,501 Bef. 1788501. He was born January 1765 in Prince William, Virginia501, and died October 1822 in Rutherford, Burke County, North Carolina501.

More About PRICE HAMRICK and NANCY BRIDGES:
Marriage: Bef. 1788
Children of NANCY BRIDGES and PRICE HAMRICK are:
i.JOHN7 HAMRICK502,503, b. 1788503; m. ELIZABETH ROBERTSON504,505, January 12, 1808, Rutherford, Burke County, North Carolina506,507.
Marriage: January 12, 1808, Rutherford, Burke County, North Carolina508,509
ii.MOSES HAMRICK510,511, b. December 24, 1791, North Carolina511; d. August 1868, Cleveland, Rowan County, North Carolina511; m. SARAH ROBINSON512,513, February 05, 1818
Marriage: February 05, 1818516,517
iii.SARAH HAMRICK, b. 1798.
iv.JAMES HAMRICK518,519, b. 1812519.
v.MARY HAMRICK520,521, b. 1812521.
vi.RICHARD HAMRICK522,523, b. 1817, Rutherford, Burke County, North Carolina523.

23. THOMAS6 HAMRICK (WILLIAM5, FRANCES4 BLANTON, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)
Child of THOMAS HAMRICK is:
51.i.WILLIAM SMITH7 HAMRICK.

24. ANDREW BLANTON (JOHN5, BURWELL4, GEORGE3, WILLIAM BLEIGHTON2, UNKNOWN1)524,525,526 was born December 12, 1811 in Cleveland County, North Carolina526, and died 1905 in Cleveland County, North Carolina. He married (1) ELIZABETH JANE JOLLY527,528,529 March 01, 1838 in Rutherford County, North Carolina530,531. She was born April 1820 in North Carolina531, and died 1867 in Cleveland County, North Carolina531. He married (2) ELIZABETH WINN in April 1870 was born 1830
**********
Children of WILLIAM BLAYTON and SURRY COUNTY are:
16.i.JOHN HAYLEY BLEIGHTON7 BLAYTON,SR., b. 1785, Surry County,Virginia.
ii.WILLIAM BLAYTON.

13. HAYLEY6 BLEIGHTON (UNKNOWN5, LYDIA4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 1735.
Child of HAYLEY BLEIGHTON is:
i.WILLIAM BLEIGHTON7 BLAYTON, b. 09 Aug 1757, Charles City County,Virginia.

Generation No. 7
14. ELIZABETH7 HARVEY (JOHN6, THOMAS5, SARAH CATHERINE4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1749 in St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia, and died in Kentucky. She married JOHN STODGILL Abt. 1765 in Augusta County,Virginia, son of JAMES STODGILL and ANN BLACKSTONE. He was born Abt. 1740 in Orange County Now Green County,Virginia, and died Aft. 1818 in Kentucky.
Children of ELIZABETH HARVEY and JOHN STODGILL are:
i.RHODA8 STODGHILL, b. Abt. 1768, Augusta County,Virginia.
ii.JOEL STODGHILL, b. Abt. Mar 1775, Augusta County,Virginia.
iii.ELIZABETH STODGHILL, b. 03 Aug 1776, Augusta County,Virginia now in Henderson,Mason County,West Virginia; d. 20 Feb 1846, Henderson,Mason County,West Virginia; m. JOHN HENDERSON,JR., Abt. 1792, Augusta County,Virginia; b. 03 Aug 1768, Augusta County,Virginia; d. 19 Aug 1824, Henderson,Mason County,West Virginia.

15. BENJAMIN7 HARVEY (JOHN6, THOMAS5, SARAH CATHERINE4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1751 in St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia, and died Abt. 1826 in Monroe County,West Virginia. He married SUSANNAH BALLARD 23 Feb 1775 in St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia. She was born Abt. 1753 in St. Thomas's Parish,Orange County,Virginia, and died in Monroe County,West Virginia.
Notes for BENJAMIN HARVEY:
******
Monroe County,West Virginia
Deed Book 1852-1854 page 5946
September 1845
---
Heirs of Benjamin Harvey, deceased to wit:
Thomas Harvey and Nancy of Mercer County,Virginia now West Virginia
James Houchins and Nancy...... his wife of Mercer County,Virginia now West Virginia
John Harvey and Jane of Henry County,Indiana
William Harvey and Nancy his wife of Henry County,Indiana
James Commons (Cummins) and Lucy his wife of Henry County,Indiana
Robert Creed and Elizabeth his wife of Henry County,Indiana
Thomas Chapman and Ankey (Agnes) his wife of Henry County,Indiana
John Mann and Milly his wife of Monroe County,Virginia now West Virginia
Adam Mann and Nancy his wife of Monroe County,Virginia now West Virginia to James Calloway of of Monroe County,Virginia now West Virginia......
----
To wit:
Two hundred acres more or less on Drooping Lick Creek of Peters Mountain on North Side joining land of John Shired (formerly (Ray) and land of Thomas Miller, part of an original survey made for John Barkley called the.survey.
---
Survey dated : January 27,1838
Source supplied by Lynne D. Miller
**********
Benjamin & Susan settled in southwest Monroe County,Virginia now West Virginia at the close of the Revolutionary War......
Susan had a brother William Ballard who had served in the Army of the Revolutionary War and after his discharge, he left his home on the Rapidian and after a short stay in Albemarle County,Virginia, he journeyed to Indian Creek with two horses, one cow and a few household goods arriving at the home of Benjamin Harvey's in Christmas night,1793. He acquired no real estate and left 9 children.
******
Children of BENJAMIN HARVEY and SUSANNAH BALLARD are:
17.i.AMELIA 'MILLIE'8 HARVEY, b. 02 May 1776, Orange County,Virginia; d. 13 May 1850, Indian Creek,Monroe County,Virginia now West Virginia.
ii.DICIE HARVEY, b. Abt. Dec 1777, Albemarle County,Virginia.
iii.JOHN HARVEY, b. Abt. 1784, Greenbrier County,West Virginia; d. Henry County,Indiana.
iv.ELIZABETH HARVEY, b. Abt. 1784, Greenbrier County,West Virginia; d. Henry County,Indiana; m. ROBERT CREED; b. Abt. 1780, Greenbrier County,West Virginia.
v.MOLLIE HARVEY, b. Abt. 1785, Greenbrier County,West Virginia.
vi.WILLIAM HARVEY, b. Abt. 1788, Greenbrier County,West Virginia; d. Henry County,Indiana; m. NANCY UNKNOWN.
vii.NANCY HARVEY, b. Abt. 1791, Greenbrier County,West Virginia; d. Henry County,Indiana; m. JAMES HOUCHINS; b. Abt. 1791, Greenbrier County,West Virginia; d. Henry County,Indiana.
viii.LUCY HARVEY, b. 27 Jul 1795, Greenbrier County,West Virginia; d. Henry County,Indiana; m. JAMES COMMONS CUMMINS, Greenbrier County,West Virginia; b. 1790, Greenbrier County,West Virginia.
ix.AGNES 'ANKEY' HARVEY, b. Greenbrier County,West Virginia; m. THOMAS CHAPMAN; b. Greenbrier County,West Virginia.

16. JOHN HAYLEY BLEIGHTON7 BLAYTON,SR. (WILLIAM BLIGHTON BLEIGHTON BLATON6, GEORGE BLANTON5 BLEIGHTON,JR., LYDIA4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 1785 in Surry County,Virginia. He married SURRY COUNTY,VIRGINIA.
Notes for JOHN HAYLEY BLEIGHTON BLAYTON,SR.:
*****
Haley Bleighton and his wife Hannah in Charles City Co., VA (CCCo) in 1762.
They were in a chancery law suit with an Ezekiel Davidson, as well as with a Mr. and Mrs. Adams, a Mr. and Mrs. Gill and a Mr. and Mrs. Jackson (per a surviving court order book record). I SUSPECT that these four women were Davidson relatives (sisters?) of Ezekiel Davidson, especially since the court case was against Stephen Davidson (apparent relative of Ezekiel Davidson).
Stephen Davidson had been the executor of the will of a David Davidson in 1756 in CCCo, and this David Davidson was the son of another David Davidson who had died in James City Co., VA in 1687 (the older David was married to a Sarah, and he actually came to America from Holland by AT LEAST 1682, per his 1686 immigration papers and per a land deed).
Based on the above, I suspect that some Bl(e)ightons running around today are possibly Davidson descendants.
*******
Child of JOHN BLAYTON and SURRY COUNTY is:
i.JOHN HALEY BLATON8 BLAYTON,SR.,WAR OF 1812, b. 1827, Surry County,Virginia; d. 1899; m. (1) HANNAH DAVIDSON; b. David Davidson that died in 1856; m. (2) MARIA SAUNDERS.?????
Notes for JOHN HALEY BLATON BLAYTON,SR.,WAR OF 1812:
*****
HALEY Blayton (ca 1735-40 to late 1700s) <-----
His name seems to exist in the family more than once. William Blaton had at least two sons;
one was named HAILEY Blayton as well; both fought in the War of 1812.
HALEY Blayton married a Hannah Davidson. Hannah's father was possibly a David Davidson that died in 1856. There is a Chancery Lawsuit in 1762 that speaks of Haley and Hanna bringing suit against a Stephen Davidson, Executor of David Davidson's estate. It appears that these were siblings in suit against each other......
George Bleighton, Jr. (ca 1695 -- unknown)
George Bleighton, Sr. (ca 1630 -- ca 1705)
*****

Generation No. 8
17. AMELIA 'MILLIE'8 HARVEY (BENJAMIN7, JOHN6, THOMAS5, SARAH CATHERINE4 LAKER,2ND WIFE, BENJAMIN3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 02 May 1776 in Orange County,Virginia, and died 13 May 1850 in Indian Creek,Monroe County,Virginia now West Virginia. She married JOHN MANN 03 Nov 1801 in Monroe County,West Virginia, son of JOHN MANN and MARY KESSINGER. He was born 01 Oct 1781 in Greenbrier County,West Virginia, and died 14 Oct 1861 in Doniphan County,Kansas.
Notes for AMELIA 'MILLIE' HARVEY:
*****
U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules Index
Surname: Milla Mann Year: 1850 County: Monroe CO.
State: WV Age: 73 Gender: F (Female)
Month of Death: Feb State of Birth: VA
ID#: MRT197_203133 Occupation: NONE LISTED
Cause Of Death: PLEURISY
*****
Children of AMELIA HARVEY and JOHN MANN are:
i.ALEXANDER9 MANN, b. Abt. 1803, Monroe County,West Virginia.
ii.WILLIAM MANN, b. Abt. 1805, Monroe County,West Virginia.

Important Note: