HAMMAN-L Archives

Archiver > HAMMAN > 1998-10 > 0909540582

From: Mitzi Perkins <>
Subject: Re: [HAMMAN-L] Elijah Hammond
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:09:42 -0600

My John B. Hammond (abt. 1754) includes his wife, Christiana Norfleet and
their children: Azeneth (Jackson), Elias, Elijah, Enoch, Hervey, Helen,
Jacob, John, Samuel, Stradford, and Norfleet; many of their spouses and
offspring. I know that Helen and Norfleet were born in Robeson, NC.
Norfleet married Dorcas Israel and soon after, the Hammonds and Israels all
moved to Sumter, GA (about 1831-32 when the Indians were being manipulated
by white politicians and landowners). Dorcas died and Norfleet remarried in
GA.
Joseph Norfleet Hammond (1866-1928)and Martha Jane (Mattie) Pilkington
(1878-1943) were my grandparents. They had 16 surviving children, most of
whom were born in Texas. I am very interested in any information you may
have, as it seems we are researching the same family. I can exchange what I
have. But I have a couple of questions: Have John B. (Boyd?) Hammond's
parents been identified? Is there any documentation of the Lumbee,
Cherokee, Creek and Powhatan connection? My family history has always
included the fact that we are descendents of these native tribes. Does the
Great Dismal Swamp figure in anyone's Hammond family legends?
Thanks!
Mitzi Hammond Perkins