HAND-L Archives

Archiver > HAND > 2004-08 > 1092454151

From: Nancy Jo Price <>
Subject: Re: [HAND] Jesse Fletcher Hand 1816 - 1899
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:29:18 -0400 (EDT)

I am wondering if the researcher has used the abrevation for WI in place of NY in her e-mail
.
The following is the forward printed in my familie's Hand genealogy.

"Prepared by Alice L. Reed in Dec. of 1976."

"My (Alice's) great Grandfather was Jesse Hand, born in New Jersey. Jesse's wife, Charlotte was born in Pennsylvania. They moved to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, where my gradnpa Daniel Hand was born April 8, 1830. They later settled in Kosciusko Co., Indiana, where Amos, Nancy Jane, Elemuel, and Prudence were born.
Grandpa Daniel Hand enlisted in the Civil War, Co. K, 88th Indiana, was wounded and later discharged.
Great Uncle Elemuel Hand, 5' 7", blue eyes, enlisted in Civil War when 15 years old, Aug. 20, 1861, and was discharged Feb. 14, 1865. In 1863 he married Martha Jane Deardorf.
The following material is of interest to this Genealogy record and is from a letter written to Sheila Kay Hand, a granddaughter of Uncle Will Hand, and dated June 23, 1967. The letter was given to Alice Reed by Uncle Will. It was written by Phyllis Hand Rose, (Mrs. Frederick C. Rose, Sr., 226 East Warnimont Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53207

""My great-great grandfather was Heman Hand, born in New Lebanon, N. York, the son of Lt. Abraham
Hand of the Revolutionary War. He had the following brothers: Jesse, John, Abraham, Elias and
Joseph. Last year, quite by accident, I found the grave of Jesse at Lyons, Wisc. near Lake Geneva and
consequently have considerble data on on all of his descendants. (meaning Phyllis Hand Rose has info.).
Jesse was a magistratae and one of the founders of Lyons. He was born in 1784. Heman Hand had the
following sons: William, Joseph, Heman, Hosea, Henry and Alva. I (Phyllis) am descended from William
who was born in Onondaga County, N. York and settled in Allen County, Ind. He married Sabrina
Phoebe Chapman..........
The Hand family has been a very illustrious on down through the centuries but unfortunately not much
history a out them has been printed because no one cared enough to take the time to write a history of
the family. The Hand name first appears in the 11th Century in Ireland as O'Hand, then became DeHand
during the Norman invasion of England and finally the English name Hand. We also have many royal
blood lines in the family, one of whom is Egbert, the first English king.
The wife of Lt. Abraham Hand traces her lineage back to John and Priscila Alden of the Mayflower. I
(Phyllis) joined the DAR through Lt. Abraham and my (Phyllis's) son is a member of the SAR.""

I can't verify any of the above quoted information. The "Hand Family Tree" was given to me by my mother shortly after it was published. Neither Alice Reed nor Phyllis Hand Rose sight any sources for their information. If anyone knows of errors that I have shared, please notify the list so we can all correct what I have shared.
Nancy Price