HANKINS-L Archives

Archiver > HANKINS > 1998-07 > 0901745198

From: Lula Hunter <>
Subject: Re: [HANKINS-L] John Hankins, Sr.
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:46:38 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,
I am pleased to submit the following information relating to Joseph
Hankins, s/o John Hankins, Sr and Elizabeth Skaggs, d/o James & Rachel
(last name unknown) Skaggs.

1 Joseph HANKINS
b. ca 1780, Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co, VA
occ. Farmer
rel. Baptist
d. aft 1860, Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co, VA
br. Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co, VA
& Nancy MITCHELL
b. ca 1790
d. bef 1840
m. 2 Jan 1814, Tazewell Co, VA
1 Rachel HANKINS
b. ca 1815, Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co, VA
d. Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co, VA
m. Never married
2 Susannah "Susan" HANKINS
b. ca 1816, Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co, VA
& Robert HANKINS
b. ca 1809, Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co,VA
m. 27 Mar 1838, Tazewell Co, VA
3 Candance "Dacy" HANKINS
b. ca 1818, Tazewell Co, VA
br. Tazewell Co, VA
m. never married
4 Milton Laadan HANKINS
b. 27 Dec 1818, Tazewell Co, VA
rel. Baptist
d. 2 Jan 1889, Tazewell Co, VA
br. Hankins Cemetery, Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co, VA
& Elizabeth WEBB
b. 27 Dec 1822
d. 24 Feb 1879, Tazewell Co, Va
m. 22 Nov 1840, Tazewell Co, VA
5 Martha "Patsy" HANKINS
b. ca 1819
& Joseph HARRISON Sr
b. ca 1815
m. 26 Jun 1839, Tazewell Co, VA
6 Carter HANKINS
b. ca 1820, Tazewell Co, VA
rel. Baptist
br. Hankins Cemetery, Dry Fork, Tazewell Co, Va
& Nancy HANKINS
b. ca 1817, Tazewell Co, VA
d. Tazewell Co, VA
m. 9 Feb 1844, Tazewell Co, VA
7 Elihu Joseph HANKINS
b. ca 1824, Baptist Valley, Tazewell Co, VA
& Christine BURKE
b. ca 1835
m. ca 1850, Tazewell Co, VA
8 William Harrison HANKINS
b. 19 Feb 1827, Tazewell Co, VA
d. Tazewell Co, VA
& Hannah H ASBURY
b. ca 1821, Tazewell Co, VA
d. ca 1880, Tazewell Co, VA
m. 23 Mar 1847, Tazewell Co, VA
9 Mary "Polly" HANKINS
b. 18 Dec 1829, Tazewell Co, VA
d. 14 Feb 1904, Tazewell Co, VA
& Jonas James SPARKS
b. 23 Oct 1833, Wilkes Co, NC
d. 8 Nov 1911
m. 19 Aug 1851, Tazewell Co, VA

Notes collected relating to Joseph Hankins family, from various sources:

Source: Harman, "Annals of Tazewell Co, VA", p 443
"Joseph was very small of stature. It is said on one occasion he hid in a
cabbage patch from a party of Indians. When they discovered him they were
so much impressed with his diminutive size they called him "Mr. Nobody" and
told him they would not hurt him, and for him to keep his gun and hunt
wherever he pleased."

Submitted by Lula Hankins Hunter

Source:1850 Tazewell Co, VA Federal Census, household #1113
Robert Hankins, 41 yrs (1809), s/o Moses Hankins
Susan, 34 yrs (1816), d/o Joseph Hankins
Robbin, 16 yrs (1834)
Nancy, 10 yrs (1840)
Richard, 8 yrs (1842)
Easter, 6 yrs (1844)
Patsy, 5 yrs (1845)
John, 2 yrs (1848)
Joseph Hankins, 70 yrs (1780), father-in-law and uncle, brother to Moses
Rachel Hankins, 34 yrs (1816), aunt
Dacy Hankins, 32 yrs (1818), aunt
Polly Hankins, 24 yrs (1826), aunt

1860 Tazewell Co, VA Federal Census, household #1368
Robert Hankins, 50 yrs (1810)
Susan, 46 yrs (1814)
Nancy, 20 yrs (1840)
Richard, 17 yrs (1843)
Easter, 16 yrs (1844)
Martha, 13 yrs (1847)
John, 12 yrs (1848)
William, 8 yrs (1852)
Moses, 6 yrs (1854)
Timothy, 3 yrs (1857)
Joseph Hankins, 79 yrs (1781), father- in- law

Source: Green Co, KY, Order Books, Feb 1836 with reference to Heirs of
old Moses Skaggs, deceased.
This is a portion of entire case heard in Green County, KY:
"State of Virginia, Tazewell Co, VA, Sct. On this day John Howell & Joseph
White, Parthenia Hankins, Lucy Hankins, Lydia Hankins, Joseph Hankins,
Moses Hankins, Hezekiah Whitt, Henry Harman, Mathias Harman, Robert
Beavers, his wife, Moses Beavers & Phebe his wife personally appeared
before the subscribed acting Justice of the Peace for the Co & state
aforesaid & made oath that the statements as made in the foregoing answer
of their own knowledge are true & as made from the information of others
they believe them to be true. Given under my hand this 30th day of Jul
1830. Signed Bird Lockhart."

Source: Harman, "Annals of Tazewell County, Virginia", Sr, Vol I, p. 204
County Court Orders from January 1821 to Jun 1825.
November term - Joseph Hankins appointed overseer of the road from Stephen
Deskins to the Baptist Valley near John Hankins.

Source: Harman,"Annals of Tazewell County, Virginia", Vol I, p. 253
County Court Law Orders - January 1847 term.
Ordered that Joseph Hankins be appointed Surveyor of the highway on
Precinct No. 43 from Henry Pattinson's to Moses Hankins' bars.

Pearl City, Hawaii

This thread: