HARDIN-L Archives

Archiver > HARDIN > 1998-07 > 0899749870

From: <>
Subject: [HARDIN-L] Hardin
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 98 11:31:10 PDT

... note: If any of my quoted sources are reading this I'd sure like
... to have your e-mail address.

jh>My GGG Grandfather was James Poe HARDEN, thought to be a son of
jh>your Jonathan HARDIN.

jh>According to Diane Hardin NORTON, , Joseph and
jh>Elijah are proven sons of this Jonathan HARDIN, but not James Poe.
jh>I am very interested in knowing for sure where Jonathan was born
jh>and died because it narrows my search. How accurate is your source
jh>for this?

I'm not sure how accurate anything is but I've made an Extended
Family Report for Jonathan HARDIN (as I have him) and it's at the
bottom of this message.

I'm including your entire message so we can see if we can't develop
a little dialogue about him.

jh>My data base shows that at some point, Jonathan HARDEN moved from
jh>Orange County, NC, to the Hickory Creek area of Rutherford County,
jh>NC. He could not write, but he did not sign by mark. Instead, he
jh>drew a "JH" logo as his signature. In late 1769 or early 1770 he
jh>was a witness to the will of Edmund HARDIN, presumably his brother.
jh>He went to Tryon County in 1770 before it split into Rutherford and
jh>Lincoln Counties. The1790 Census of Halifax County, NC (Halifax
jh>District) shows a Jonathn (sic) HARDEN on page 117 and another Jno.
jh>HARDEN on page 109. The 1800 Census of Rutherford County, NC shows
jh>a Jonathan HARDEN as head of household. That same census shows
jh>Elijah HARDIN (possibly son born 1760-1770) head of household in
jh>Lincoln County, NC, and also shows Joseph HARDEN (possibly son born
jh>1760) and Benjamin HARDEN (possibly son born about 1775) heads of
jh>households in Rutherford County, NC.

Family Edge Plus Extended Family Report
HUSBAND: Joseph(?) HARDIN
BORN:
MARR: before 1740
DIED: circa 1754 probably, Orange Co NC
WILL: 1754 Orange Co NC
NOTE: this parentage is higly speculative
FATHER: Benjamin I HARDIN b:circa 1678; d:circa 1734, Surry Co VA.
MOTHER: Sarah STANLEY b:roughly 1678; d:circa 1750, Isle of Wight
Co VA.
SOURCES: Father..data supplied by "Oran" James Oran Hardin, Sep 1997
Mother..data supplied by "Oran" James Oran Hardin, Sep 1997
Other...Research provided by Clyde Morgan Hardin Jr.,
WIFE: Elizabeth ???
BORN:
DIED:
FATHER:
MOTHER:
SOURCES: Other...Research provided by Clyde Morgan Hardin Jr.,
1 ? NAME: David HARDIN
M ? BORN:
? MARR:
? DIED:
? PBT: 1811 Rutherford Co NC
? WIFE: Hanner (Rebecca) ???
? BORN: DIED: living 1811
? SRCE: Other...data supplied by "Oran" James Oran Hardin, 1997
2 ? NAME: Edmund HARDIN
M ? BORN:
? MARR:
? DIED: circa 1769 Orange Co NC
? WILL: 1769 Orange Co NC
? WIFE: Mary CATES (?)
? BORN: DIED:
? SRCE: Father..Research provided by Dr. Stanley Hardin,
? 26 Dec 1993
? Mother..Research provided by Dr. Stanley Hardin,
? 26 Dec 1993
? Other...HHH Newsletter Vol 9 #3 September 1992
| Grandchild by Mary CATES (?)
1 | NAME: Thomas HARDIN
M | BORN: circa 1766 NC
| MARR:
| DIED:
| WIFE: Mary HAMRICK
| BORN: roughly 1766 DIED:
| SRCE: Bth..Research provided by Newton R. N. Hardin,
| Oth..HHH Newsletter Vol 9 #3 September 1992
? Grandchild by Mary CATES (?)
2 ? NAME: Berry (Bury) Hicks HARDIN
M ? BORN: roughly 1815
? MARR:
? DIED:
? WIFE: Avaline ???
? BORN: roughly 1815 DIED:
? SRCE: Fth..Research provided by Dr. Stanley Hardin,
? 26 Dec 1993
? Oth..HHH Newsletter Vol 10 #2 June 1993
3 | NAME: Jonathan HARDIN
M | BORN: circa 1740 Orange Co NC
| MARR: before 1770
| DIED: circa 1810 Rutherford Co NC
| WIFE: ??? ???
| BORN: DIED:
| SRCE: BPlace..Research provided by Mildred Hardin,
| Other...Research provided by Vera Hardin, 26 Dec 1993
| Grandchild by ??? ???
1 | NAME: Elijah HARDIN
M | BORN: circa 1775 SC
| MARR: roughly 1800 probably, SC
| DIED:
| WIFE: Sarah ???
| BORN: circa 1785 DIED: living 1829
| NOTE: Read history notes.
| SRCE: Oth..HHH vol 10 # 1 page 10
| Grandchild by ??? ???
2 | NAME: Allen HARDIN
M | BORN:
| MARR:
| DIED:
| SRCE: Oth..data supplied by James Oran Hardin, 12 Oct 1997
| Grandchild by ??? ???
3 | NAME: Elijah HARDIN
M | BORN: 1765 NC
| MARR: before 1806
| DIED:
| WIFE: ??? ???
| BORN: roughly 1765 DIED:
| SRCE: Oth..Research provided by Mildred Hardin, 26 Dec 1993
| Grandchild by ??? ???
4 | NAME: William HARDIN
M | BORN: circa 1765 NC
| MARR: before 1792
| DIED: 1835 Wayne Co TN
| WIFE: Rachel COLE(?)
| BORN: roughly 1765 DIED:
| SRCE: Oth..Research provided by Mary Helen Davis Dec 1993
| Grandchild by ??? ???
5 | NAME: Joseph HARDIN
M | BORN: 1760 NC
| MARR: before 1793
| DIED: 1838 Tuscaloosa Co AL
| WIFE: Unity MARTIN
| BORN: roughly 1760 DIED:
| SRCE: DPl..Research provided by Doris E. Titworth,
| Oth..Research provided by Mary Ruth Bragg, 26 Dec 1993
4 | NAME: Benjamin HARDIN
M | BORN: circa 1740 NC
| MARR: before 1780
| DIED:
| WIFE: Sarah(?) HARDY(?)
| BORN: DIED:
| SRCE: Other...Research provided by Clyde Morgan Hardin Jr.,
| Grandchild by Sarah(?) HARDY(?)
1 | NAME: Hardy HARDIN
M | BORN: circa 1775 Orange Co NC
| MARR: before 1814
| DIED: 1830 TN
| WIFE: Tabitha ROBERTS
| BORN: roughly 1780 DIED:
| SRCE: Oth..Research provided by Jack W. Clay, 26 Dec 1993

If anyone can add, subtract, or change any of the data listed above
please advise. If anyone has any questions about any of this data
feel free to ask!

E-mail:
snail mail: Wiley Alston Jarrell
15610 Edenvale