HARDIN-L Archives

Archiver > HARDIN > 2003-04 > 1050875131

From: "D. E. Miller" <>
Subject: [HARDIN-L] Wm Hardin, 1761, and Jemima, Mourning Roberts
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:45:31 -0400

William Hardin had 200 acres by Land Warrant of State of Virginia in
Grayson county, Va. on the Little Fox Creek, off the New River, Va., His
estate was inventoried on 3-5-1803.

William was a Revolutionary War Soldier. Served in Cox's Command Volunteer
Militia 1782. Virginia Freeholder of 200 acres land on dividing Ridge
between Elk Creek and Little Fox Creek. "Hardin's Ridge" Independence,
Virginia Grayson Co., Aided Whigs against Tory invasion.

and then for Cornelius Roberts from;
Rodney D. Veitschegger as posted on Rootsweb,

" In the same year, 1782, Cornelius Roberts is shown as a Montgomery (Later
Grayson) County taxpayer with one poll and no slaves. Elk Creek is partly
in what is now Grayson County."

"We don't know who the father of Cornelius was, but there was a James
Roberts in the same tax list. I suspect that this was the father of Neel,
for I think that Neel's first son was named James, and it was usual to name
the first son after one grandfather. But this is conjecture. We don't know
his year of birth either, but since he was married in 1767 and since his
first child was born about 1768 we think he was born about 1749. We think
that CorneliuS may have had brothers named William, Abner and
Isaac--perhaps more.

Comments;
What is interesting to me is that Cornelius had a daughter named Mourning
born in 1789. I would not be suprised if she was named after Mourning
Roberts b 15 July 1758. This Mourning Roberts married Elizabeth Hardin b
1765 and I believe Elizabeth to be the sister of the above named William
married to Jemima. Could Mourning Roberts be a brother to Cornelius and
they sons of James Roberts?

William Hardin died 1803 in Grayson County, VA. Then Jemima and family are
found in Madison and Rockcastle Counties of KY at the same time as Mourning
Roberts and his wife Elizabeth Hardin.

Any support for William and Elizabeth Hardin being siblings?

Is there any record of the family of Henry Hardin Jr, b 1742, son of Henry
Sr and Judith Lynch? He was the brother of the Colonel Wm Everett Hardin
found in Wilkes County, NC. Henry was born in Pittsylvania County, VA.
which later became part of Grayson County, Va. just over the river and hill
from Wilkes, NC. Reason I ask is I THINK this Henry is a good candidate for
the father of William born 1761 and m. Jemima. Check out the relationships
between William Everett, William Allensworth, and this William.

Darrell Miller

This thread: