HARDING-L Archives

Archiver > HARDING > 2004-12 > 1103745661

Subject: Re: [HARDING] George Harding Line
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:01:01 EST

Yes, I am researching this line - it is my husband's family ancestry.
Please send me what you have on your link to this family.

Descendants of George HARDING

Generation No. 1

1. GEORGE1 HARDING He married MARY ORLEY.
Child of GEORGE HARDING and MARY ORLEY is:
2. i. THOMAS2 HARDING, b. Abt. 1639, London, England; d. 06
June 1674, Northumberland, Virginia.

Generation No. 2

2. THOMAS2 HARDING (GEORGE1) was born Abt. 1639 in London, England, and
died 06 June 1674 in Northumberland, Virginia. He married ANNE MOSELY Abt. 1663
in St. Stephens, Northumberland, Virginia, daughter of HENRY MOSELY and ANNE
KNOTT. She was born Abt. 1648 in Southampton, Virginia.
More About THOMAS HARDING and ANNE MOSELY:
Marriage: Abt. 1663, St. Stephens, Northumberland, Virginia
Children of THOMAS HARDING and ANNE MOSELY are:
i. ANNE3 HARDING, b. 1663, Northumberland, Virginia.
3. ii. THOMAS HARDING, b. 04 September 1664, St. Stephens
Parish, Northumberland, Virginia; d. Bef. September 1691, Northumberland,
Virginia.
iii. MARY HARDING, b. 1667, St. Stephens Parish, Northumberland, Virginia.
iv. WILLIAM HARDING, b. 20 July 1669, St. Stephens Parish, Northumberland,
Virginia.
4. v. HENRY HARDING, b. 1670, St. Stephens Parish,
Northumberland, Virginia; d. 19 May 1698, Stafford County, Virginia.
vi. JOHN HARDING, b. 1672, Northumberland, Virginia.
vii. GEORGE HARDING, b. 1674, Northumberland, Virginia.

Generation No. 3

3. THOMAS3 HARDING (THOMAS2, GEORGE1) was born 04 September 1664 in St.
Stephens Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, and died Bef. September 1691 in
Northumberland, Virginia. He married (1) ELIZABETH. He married (2) ANNE
HAYNIE, daughter of JOHN HAYNIE and JANE MORRIS.
Notes for THOMAS HARDING:
In "Tennessee, a History," published in 1933 by the American Historical
Society, it is stated that Thomas and Elizabeth HARDING, the parents of the
Thomas HARDING who married Mary GILES, came to Virginia in 1650 and settled in
Norfolk County. In a deed, this Thomas HARDING describes himself as of
"Lynhaven River, Lower Norfolk," Vol. III, page 60.
It is almost impossible for a couple coming to Virginia in 1650 -- and
presumably of age -- to have produced a son of an age to marry Mary GILES, who
could not have been born until after 1683, the date of her parent's marriage.
Wm. G. AMBROSE speculates that it is more probable that this Thomas and
Elizabeth were married circa 1650 and were the grandparent's of the Thomas who
married Mary GILES.
He adds that is it possible that this is the Thomas HARDING who came to
Virginia prior to 1650 with Moore Fauntleroy (Greer's "Early Virginia
Immigrants," page 146).
Page 22, Court held 2 September 1692, haying Capt. Guardian to HARDING. Mr.
John HAYING, senior, petitioned court for guardianship of Thomas HARDING,
3-year old son of Thomas HARDING, (deceased) and Mr. HAYNIE's daughter
(deceased). (daughter's name not stated)
* The Original Lists of Persons of Quality
Lists of the Living and Dead in Virginia, February 16th 1623 (i.e. 162xxx)
Thomas HARDING
* Early Virginia Immigrants; 1623-1666
HARDING, Sarah, 1643, by Benjamin Harryson, Gent. James City, Co.
HARDING Ja., 1651, by Mr. Rowland Burnham, -- Co.
HARDING, Ann, 1651, by Henry Nicholls, Lower Norfolk Co.
HARDING, Tho., 1652, by Henry Nicholls, Lancaster Co.
HARDING, Joane, 1642, by Jerimiah Grey, James City Co.
HARDING, Mary, 1653, by Anto. Hoskins, Northampton Co.
HARDING, Mary, 1637, by Richard Bennett, New Norfolk Co.
HARDING, Tho., 1650, by Capt. Moore Faulteroy, -- Co.
HARDING, Mary, 1635, by Richard Bennett, -- Co.
* Colonial Records of Virginia at Elizabeth Cittye
Capt. Isacke Whittakers . . . , Thomas HARDING, . . . George Nuce, it on
Burwell's Bay and call it Warnicqueack. Stith calls it Warrasqueake and gives
and interesting account of "the King of that town," and his hospitable
treatment of Capt. Smith on the night of the 29th of December, 1606; page 85.
In particulares of land, "McDonald Ms. above referred to it as spelt as
shown in the following extract: "Warofquolacke Plantation conteyning dowewards
from Hoggifland, 14 miles by the ryver side," & c., page 313.
Hening has it Warrosquoiack, Vol. 1, page 149.
In 1634 "the country divided into eight shires," and this being one of them.
Hening ther spells it Warrosquyoake. Vol. L, page 224.
The * information was given to me by another HARDING researcher, ??
I have conflicting info and will research the facts.
See "The First Seventeen Years Virginia 1607-1624" by Charles E. Hatch, Jr.
Children of THOMAS HARDING and ELIZABETH are:
5. i. WILLIAM4 HARDING, d. Abt. 1741, Henrico County,
Virginia.
6. ii. THOMAS HARDING, b. Abt. 1686, Henrico County, Virginia;
d. Abt. 1731, Henrico County, Virginia.
4. HENRY3 HARDING (THOMAS2, GEORGE1) was born 1670 in St. Stephens Parrish,
Northumberland, Virginia, and died 19 May 1698 in Stafford County,
Virginia. He married JANE ARLEDGE Abt. 1688 in St. Stephens, Northumberland,
Virginia.
More About HENRY HARDING and JANE ARLEDGE:
Marriage: Abt. 1688, St. Stephens, Northumberland, Virginia
Child of HENRY HARDING and JANE ARLEDGE is:
i. WILLIAM4 HARDING.

Generation No. 4

5. WILLIAM4 HARDING (THOMAS3, THOMAS2, GEORGE1) died Abt. 1741 in Henrico
County, Virginia.
Notes for WILLIAM HARDING:
3 March 1717, Thomas HARDING of Henrico County to William HARDING of same
for L10, upper half of tract patented by said Thomas on E. branch of Tuckahoe,
bounded by land Chumbley bought of said Thomas.
Witnessed by John Woodson, Edw. Coyle.
Recorded 3 March 1717.
Mary GILES, wife of Thomas HARDING, had relinquished her dower (Henrico
Deeds and Wills 1714-1718, page 233)
7 May 1718, William HARDING and Joseph PLEASANTS witnessed a deed of Henry
Hill, Henrico, saddler to John Gibbs, planter, of same. (Henrico Deeds and
Wills 1714-1718, pages 261)
8 November 1726, Thomas HARDING and William HARDING witnessed the deed of
Chas. Holms to John Pleasants, Henrico County, North side of James River near
mouth of Four Mile Creek.
2 October 1734, William HARDIN of Henrico County to Rich. Trueman, Jr. of
same for L20, land on N. side White Oak Swamp and Bore(Boar) Swamp, being tract
granted to John Pleasants, decd., 100 acres. Witnessed by Rich. Deane
(Henrico County Wills and Deeds 1725-1737, page 453). This land is located at the
present intersection of Route 60 and I-295 in eastern Henrico County,
Virginia.
9 October 1734, William HARDIN and Arthur Moseley witnessed the deed of
William Williamson, Henrico, to William Cheatham, same, 300 acres granted by
patent to said Williamson. 1 August 1734. (Henrico Deeds and Wills 1725-1737,
page 453)
23 April 1740, Frances Wilkinson, widow of Henrico County to William HARDIN,
same, 130 acres on south side of branch of Stratons Creek, next to Thomas
Cheatham, Arthur Moseley, John Hamlin and said HARDEN. Witnessed by Thos.
Cheatham, Jno. Hamlin. Recorded November 1740 (Misc. Court Records 1738-1746
Henrico County)
October 1741, Thomas HARDING, orphan of William HARDING. decd., chooses
William HARDING as his guardian. (Henrico County Orders 1737-1746, page 158)
September 1743, William HARDING, guardian for Thomas HARDING, orphan,
presents account. (Henrico Orders 1737-1746, page 231)
I am guessing that William HARDING - the guardian of Thomas HARDING - was
probably his grandfather as this William died in 1746 and Thomas father died
circa 1741.
From Henrico County Deeds and Wills 1744-1748, page 120:
Will of William HARDING, written 12 December 1741:
To my son Thomas, the land I live upon, likewise all land I hold and 2
Negroes, a Brass Kettle, 2 Iron pots, a Skillet, 2 Basons, 2 Dishes, 2 Guns, a
large Chest, an Oval Tables, one feather bed . . . To daughter Sarah, the bed I
now lie upon . . . To daughter Martha, 1 Negro, 1 Feather bed, 2 Iron pots, 2
Dishes, 2 Plates, 1 Trunk, 1 Saddle, 1 Cow and calf. . . To son Thomas, the
remainder of my personal estate . . . John Povall, executor.
W, the mark of Wm HARDING
Witnessed by Peter Varnier, Wm. Cheatham, Anne Cheatham
Proven April 1746
Last names of daughters are not given.
Children of WILLIAM HARDING are:
i. THOMAS5 HARDING.
ii. SARAH HARDING.
iii. MARTHA HARDING.
6. THOMAS4 HARDING (THOMAS3, THOMAS2, GEORGE1) was born Abt. 1686 in
Henrico County, Virginia, and died Abt. 1731 in Henrico County, Virginia. He
married MARY GILES Abt. 1710 in Henrico County, Virginia, daughter of WILLIAM
GILES and BETHENIAH KNOWLES. She was born Abt. 1688, and died Aft. 1731.
Notes for THOMAS HARDING:
Could be the son of William HARDING, Immigrant, (Headright), Henrico Co.,
granted land north side of James River.
Another possibility is Thomas HARDING, as stated in this genealogy report.
A patent was recorded for Thomas HARDEN on 31 October 1716, 319 acres in
Henrico County, north side of James River, on the east side of the main branch
of Tuckahoe Creek, beginning at a Beaver Pond belonging to John Eless (ELLIS),
for 5 shillings and transportation of six (6) persons. (Virginia Land
Patents, Book 10, Page 298)
A survey of this property was made on 6 February 1707 for Thomas HARDEN -
319 acres in Henrico county. (Henrico Wills and Deeds 1706-1709, page 97)
On 6 May 1717, Benjamin Woodson, Sr. of Henrico sold to Thomas HARDING of
Henrico for L10 currency, 150 acres in Henrico County on the south side of
Chickahominy Swamp (River), bindeth on the northwest upon the line of Richard
Woodson, decd. Sarah Woodson relinquishes dower.
(Henrico Wills and Deeds 1714-1718, page 172)
This land was in the general vicinity of his other land along Tuckahoe
Creek.
In April 1718, Thomas HARDING and Nowel BURTON witnessed a deed of Thomas
Williamson of Varina Parish, Henrico County, to Edmund Allen of James City
County.
(Henrico Wills and Deeds 1714-1718)
On 1 May 1726 Thomas HARDING, Edmund Allen and James Howl witnessed the deed
of Robert Childers, Henrico, to Charles Winfree, St. Peter's Parish, New
Kent County, Virginia, 50 acres in Henrico.
(Henrico Wills and Deeds 1725-1737, page 24)
17 May 1729, Thomas HARDING of Verina Parish, Henrico, deeded to Edward
THOMAS (son-in-law) of St. James parish, Goochland County, Virginia, 60 acres on
the east branch of Tuckahoe Creek at Drinking Hole Branch (Goochland County
Deed Book 1, page 108)
This was probably a wedding gift as the same land was given to his daughter,
Mary, in his will written three months earlier.
The will of Thomas HARDING of Henrico County is dated 1728/9 lists sons
William, Thomas, daughter Mary Thomas and wife Mary. This Thomas also had a
daughter Susannah, who married Capt. Charles Ellis, born 1719.
Will was proved (recorded) April 1731, Henrico County but was dated 10 March
1728 or 1729.
Virginia Will Book 1725-1737, page 294
Henrico County Miscellaneous Court Records, Vol. 3 1727-1737, page 346.
Henrico County, Virginia Deed and Wills 1. part 2 -- 1725 - 1735, page 291-
294:
Thomas HARDING of Henrico County, deceased.
To my son, William HARDING, all my land in Henrico County that lies below
the branch called "Hardings Branch" by computation, 140 acres, and binding on
the little Tuckahoe Creek.
To my son, Thomas, the plantation whereon I now dwell and all land between
Harding Branch and Drinking Hole Branch with all my land in Goochland County
that lies between (Michael) Holland's Line and the Main Road.
To my beloved daughter Mary Thomas, all land that binds on Drinking Hole on
the upper side binding on the Main Road on the upper side of the creek, 160
acres. Also on heifer and one calf.
I do appoint and constitute my wife, Mary, my whole and sole executor.
Thomas Harding.
Witnessed by Nicholas COX and John BOWIE
Inventory was made 16 April 1731 by Edward Curd, Luke Smith and Obediah
Smith and valued at L84.8.9, presented by Mary HARDING (page 299)
By 1742 Mary Giles HARDING had married Thomas HUGHES of Henrico County,
Virginia.
Notes for MARY GILES:
April 1742, William HARDING versus Thomas HUGHES and Mary, his wife,
executors of John North, decd, was continued (Henrico Orders 1737-1746, page 180).
This could have been either William HARDING.
8 October 1747, Thomas HUGHES and Mary HUGHES, wife, of Henrico Parish,
Henrico County, Virignia, "having a right of dower to and in one certain parcel .
. . which formerly belonged to Thomas HARDING, decd" lying in Parish and
County of Henrico on Harding's branch, same tract which said Thomas HARDING gave
his two sons William and Thomas . . . for consideration of L17.10 paid by
William HARDING, they relinquish right of dower in land.
Witnessed by Wm. Street, Thomas Finton, Charles Ellis and Thomas Ellis.
Recorded January 1747/48. (Henrico Wills and Deeds 1744-1748, page 335.)
Marriage Notes for THOMAS HARDING and MARY GILES:
Brodie, John B., "Historic Southern Families," Vol. 3, 1959, page 194
Wulfeck, Doroty Ford, "HARDIN and HARDING of Virginia and Kentucky, and
supplement.
More About THOMAS HARDING and MARY GILES:
Marriage: Abt. 1710, Henrico County, Virginia
Children of THOMAS HARDING and MARY GILES are:
7. i. BETHENIA5 HARDING, b. Henrico County, Virginia.
ii. THOMAS HARDING.
Notes for THOMAS HARDING:
Thomas HARDING was given land where the home plantation was and all land
between Harding Branch and Drinking Hole Branch, plus all his father's land in
Goochland County.
He sold the land willed to him by his father to his brother William.
This might be the Thomas HARDING who moved to Louisa County, Virginia and
bought land in 1753 (Louisa County Deed Book "A", page 503)
iii. MARY HARDING, b. Bet. 1711 - 1715, Virginia; m. EDWARD THOMAS, Abt.
1728.
Notes for MARY HARDING:
Mary Thomas inherited 160 acres on Drinking Hole Branch.
More About EDWARD THOMAS and MARY HARDING:
Marriage: Abt. 1728
8. iv. SUSANNAH HARDING, b. 07 January 1718/19, Henrico County,
Virginia; d. Abt. 1817, Amherst County, Virginia.9. v.
WILLIAM HARDING, b. 23 February 1719/20, Henrico County, Virginia; d. Abt.
1768, Goochland County, Virginia.

This thread: