HARPER-L Archives

Archiver > HARPER > 1997-07 > 0867771455

From: Resa Hennings <>
Subject: John HARPER and Margaret MORROW Descendants
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 10:37:35 -0500

Hi all--
Concerning the recent queries on John HARPER and Margaret MORROW--
I have the following information. Don't know if it's the same
people, but there are some similarities to what's been posted here.
Unfortunately, I hardly have any dates and places. I received this
material from a cousin, who I will contact again to find out if she
can fill things in a bit. I do not know if the ch are listed in
birth order--probably just at random.

John HARPER b 1740 SC
m Margaret MORROW (when? where?)
they had 12 ch:
1. Rebecca HARPER
2. William HARPER
3. Hugh HARPER
4. John HARPER, Jr.
5. Anna HARPER
*6. Andrew HARPER b 1784 SC (my line)
7. James HARPER
8. Elizabeth HARPER
9. Asa HARPER
10. Enos HARPER
11. Jesse HARPER
12. Margaret HARPER

Andrew HARPER
b 1784 SC
m Betsy SAUNDERS and they had 10 ch:
*1. Stephen HARPER b 1809 NC d TN (my line)
2. Hugh HARPER b TN
3. Jesse HARPER
4. Nancy HARPER
5. Margaret HARPER
6. Peggy HARPER
7. Tyler HARPER
8. Carrol HARPER
9. Enos HARPER
10. Newton HARPER
(I wonder if Margaret and Peggy, above, are really the same person,
since Peggy often is a nickname for Margaret? Then there would only
be 9 ch of this m.)

Stephen HARPER
b 1809 NC
m Mary Catherine WHITE and they had 7 ch, all b Sumner Co, TN:
1. William HARPER m Martha COLE
2. Martha HARPER Henry LAMBERTH
3. John HARPER
*4. Mary A. E. HARPER (my line)
b 17 Sep 1835
d 2 Sep 1896 bur Bell Cemetery, Haines Twp. Marion Co, IL
m 18 Sep 1854 James C. PAYNE
5. Virgil S. HARPER never m; d May 1927 Marion Co, IL
6. Francis HARPER m Mary SUMMERS
7. Louisa HARPER m John GOOSTREE
Several of these 7 ch and their families moved to Marion Co, IL

Mary A. E. HARPER
b 17 Sep 1835
d 2 Sep 1896 bur Bell Cemetery, Haines Twp., Marion Co, IL
m 18 Sep 1854 Sumner Co, TN James C. PAYNE; they had 8 ch:
1. Alonzo C. PAYNE b 1856 Sumner Co, TN d 1911
2. John Alexander PAYNE b 1859 Sumner Co, TN d 1919 IL
3. Margaret "Lady" PAYNE b 1863 Marion Co, IL d 1940 IL
4. Louisa Bady PAYNE b 1864 Marion Co, IL d IL
5. Sarah C. PAYNE b 1866 Marion Co, IL d 1930 IL
6. James A. PAYNE b c1867 Marion Co, IL d 1924 IL (my line)
7. LuLu Sumner PAYNE b 1871 Marion Co, IL
8. Francis Sanders (?Saunders?) PAYNE b 1873 Marion Co, IL
d 1959 IL
(Mary A. E. HARPER and James C. PAYNE are my gr gr grandparents on
my mother's side.)

I'd sure enjoy hearing from any of you working on this line.

Resa Nichols Hennings
439 Bayou View Drive
El Lago, TX 77586
(281) 326-4936