HARRELL-L Archives

Archiver > HARRELL > 2002-08 > 1030471399

Subject: [HARRELL] Part I -- Mary Harrell, Gates NC (Elisha/Josiah/JohnThomas)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:03:19 EDT

Hello Everyone,

Key surnames here: BARNES, BEEMAN, BOYCE, CRAFFORD , CROSS, CURLE, EURE,
HARRELL, HARGROVE, LANDING, LEWIS, ODOM, PARKER, PIPKIN, TAYLOR, VANN,
WATSON. (See Court record excerpts in Part II.)

My earliest Harrell is Mary HARRELL, who married Mills LANDEN in Gates Co. NC
on Feb 26, 1800 (county record). Mills died about 1803, and Mary remarried
Uriah EURE, Jr. on Feb 6, 1803/4 in Gates Co. Uriah EURE Sr., likely
neighbor, was probably son of Uriah Eure, Sr.and Nancy Taylor/Smith.

I descend from Mills and Mary (Harrell) Landen's only child -- Elizabeth
Landing, b. May 11, 1800 (family bible). She married Michael MARSH/MASH/MARCH
in burned-records Hertford Co. NC about 1822/3. He was the son of George
Marsh/Mash and Mary unk. of Hertford Co. Michael Marsh & Elizabeth (Landing)
Marsh moved to Bedford Co. TN about 1826. Because Harrells are a dime a
dozen in Gates Co, I have focussed first on Landing references in some deed,
will and court records, but my search is spotty so far. Some sources for
clues in Part II with documentation.

Some possible clues collected to date on the families of Mary Harrell and
Mills Landing:

-- Mills was the son of James Landing and unknown wife (need to look at
deeds).. They had daughter Pleasant (census shows more daughters), and
these sons: ELISHA, MILLS, William, John and James. The probable eldest son
John appears separately in Gates Co 1789/90 tax/census records. I believe
Elisha, a possible second son, moved to Edgecombe Co. NC late 1790s.

-- The earliest Landings in the area I have found so far are in Upper Parish
Vestry records in Nansemond Co VA ca 1750. There are Harrells there also.
Before 1768 my James Landing's family migrated just south to Gates Co
(portion then in Hertford Co) NC. Another Landing branch went to Onslow Co.,
NC, and some probably stayed in Nansemond area.

-- My Gates Co. James Landing family lived in the Cypress, Gum Swamp areas
near present day Eure (I think).

-- The most direct Harrell connection I found for my Mary HARREL Landing is
with JOSIAH AND ELISHA HARRELL JR, who are her securities in 1803 when she
requests administration of her late husband Mills' estate. ANY IDEAS ON
FAMILY OF JOSIAH AND ELISHA HARRELL, JR.??

-- JOHN VANN, named guardian for orphan Elizabeth Landing. 1805. I believe
this John Vann is married to Nancy CROSS, daughter of Cyprian Cross and
Christian RUDDICK. Nancy Cross' siblings were Riddick (m. a Lewis),
Priscilla (m. a Lewis), Jesse (m. a Lawrence), Betsy (m. Benton), Abraham (m.
a Riddick), Sally (m. a Barnes), Taylor (m. a Barnes), John Vann is said to
be the son of Jesse Vann and Ann ARLINE. There are Harrell connections with
these families I believe.
http://www.sallysfamilyplace.com/Neighbors/Cross0.htm

-- JOHN and THOMAS HARRELL, who died Gates Co., 1792 and 1786 respectively,
were probably neighbors of the Landings, likely members of my Mary Harrell's
family. I don't know who their administrators were orwhether they left
orphans. ANY IDEAS ON FAMILY OF JOHN HARRELL, DIED 1792, and THOMAS HARRELL,
D. 1786?

--Harrell men found of interest in Gates court and 1780s census records are:
Court records -- JOSIAH, ELISHA, JR., JOHN, THOMAS, JETRHO - 1780s
Tax/Census add -- Henry, Samuel (2), Peter, Ana, Milley, Demsey, Aaron,
Jesse and Elijah.
1786 Census: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncgates/g1786cens.htm
Tax Lists: http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/gates/taxes/taxs1784.txt.
1790 Census: http://www.us-census.org/pub-ftp/nc/gates/1790/index.txt Note
this census has no listing to indicate neighbors.

-- Mills Landings' likely siblings married into these families:
BRATCHER/BRADSHAW, CRAFFORD/CRAWFORD and BOYCE.

-- There are allied, neighbor families mentioned which I identified in the
list at the beginning of the email. At the top of my interests are: CROSS,
VANN, EURE and CRAFFORD.

-- Given names as clues...for the Landings we have PLEASANT, MILLS and
ELISHA as non-top ten given names. I have capitalized the more interesting
names of children of my Michael Marsh and Elizabeth Landing (in order): Mary
A., ALGERNON DARDEN, Emily A., PATERSON BIDDLE, Benjamin James JORDAN,
George Landin, John William, CORDELIA Ann, Elizabeth Susan, CALDONIA. Except
for Elisha and Mills, these names don't appear to be Harrell names? I know
nothing about the earlier Marsh family though.

I realize this is long, but I have posted short ones here before without
sparking much interest, so I am trying this route. I have found purported
marriage connections amongst many of these families, but not the Landings. I
have a posted a longer version of the records in Part II of this message at
www.genforum.com/harrell #3216. (REMINDER, there are about 3,250 Harrell
messages at that website, which has a search feature).

Best Regards and Thanks in advance FOR ANY IDEAS,
Janet Baugh Hunter

This thread: