HARRELL-L Archives

Archiver > HARRELL > 2005-10 > 1130205175

From: "Roberta J. Estes" <>
Subject: Zachariah Herrell/Harrell Family
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:52:55 -0400

I don't know if this family is connected with the other Harrell/Herrell
families in the Claiborne/Hancock County area of Tn or not. I suspect that
they may be remotely connected with my William Herrell (son of John) who
came from Wilkes Co around 1800. We believe John Harrold came from Bertie
Co to Wilkes. There is a John with the right amount of kids in Bertie in
1790. I hope this and the previous e-mail help someone.

Bobbi Estes

First Generation
Herrell, Zachariah-184621.Zachariah Herrell-18462 was born in
1800 in Anson Co., NC. He died on 19 Jul 1841 in Knox Co, Tn..

In 1820 we find Zachariah in Anson Co. NC.

I know this might not be a warm and fuzzy tidbit, but it
might solve someone's genealogy quandary,
even though it is colorful. I found a web page that listed
Inmates in the Tennessee State Penitentiary
from 1831-1850 and Zachariah Harrell from Claiborne Co. was
listed for a felony. The number 40 also
follows, but I don't know what that means. It could be his
age upon entry, but it also doesn't give us his
year of entry.

In the census, he was age 30-40 in 1840.

On the 1836 tax list in district 9 Claiborne. In 1839 also,
but no acreage, 1 poll.

Given the ages of his children, it appears that he was in NC
in 1824 and that he moved to Tennesee
between 1833 and 1836. I cannot find him in 1830 on a
census.

1839 - Z (probably Zachariah) Harrell to Wiley Huffaker book
O p 187 for $40 (Where did he get this
land, if it was land. Need to look this up.)

The remnants of Zachariah's family are dispersed, but not
far from each other in 1850. Much of the
reassemble of his children is done through fitting these
folks together and matching the kids on the 1840
census. Zachariah's incarceration clearly had a devastating
affect on his family.

She may have a son John as he is found next to her in the
1860 census in Wayne Co., Illinois. I am
putting him in very tentatively for now, but this may not be
correct.

Zachariah married (MRIN:6930) Elvira or Mariah-18858 . Elvira was
born in 1805.

Mariah is shown with Zachariah. Elvira is shown marrying
James Carroll.

We have a lot of activity surrounding the Harrell/Herrell
and Carrol/Carrel familys. Whoever let two
familys with names so similar marry anyway.

Here is the 1850 census:

James Carroll 72 birth place unknown (Elvira married Oct 27
1845 to James)
Mariah 36 NC
Rosanna Herrell 23 NC (this is distinctly Herrell for this
person on down)
Mary J Herrell 14 NC
Rosey C. Herrell 13 Tn
Nancy A Herrell 11 b Tn

Notice that all of the kids are Herrell, and Rosanna is not
married, she is the eldest daughter. I
reconciled this with the 1840 census and all these kids fit
with Zachariah, plus a few more kids who are
farmed out.

Zachariah and Elvira had the following children:
Herrell, Wesley-18857
2Mi.Wesley Herrell-18857 was born in 1835.

The remnants of Zachariah's family are
dispersed, but not far from each other in 1850.
Much of the reassemble of his children is
done through fitting these folks together and
matching the kids on the 1840 census.
Zachariah's incarceration clearly had a
devastating affect on his family.

In 1850 he is age 15 living with Sylvester
Nunn 22 and Luricy 21 in the house beside
Sylvester.

+3Mii.Alexander Herrell-18859 was born in
1824/1825.

+4Miii.Sylvester Herrell-9519 was born in 1828.
Herrell, Rosanna S.-18717
5Fiv.Rosanna S. Herrell-18717 was born in 1827
in North Carolina.

Name is written Herrell, book 3 page 14
marriage bonds.

The remnants of Zachariah's family are
dispersed, but not far from each other in 1850.
Much of the reassemble of his children is
done through fitting these folks together and
matching the kids on the 1840 census.
Zachariah's incarceration clearly had a
devastating affect on his family.

1840 and 1850 census. In 1850, 4 daughters
of Zach were with the James Carroll,
age 72, birthplace unknown and Mariah
Carroll, age 36 b NC. The differentiation
between Harrell and Carroll is very
distinct. Mariah at this age is too young to be
Zachariah's wife and too old to be his
daughter, so I don't know if there is a family
connection between the Carroll and Herrel
familys or not. The daughters living with
them were Rosanna, 23, Mary J, 14, Rosey C.,
13, Nancy A 11.

We have a lot of activity surrounding the
Harrell/Herrell and Carrol/Carrel familys.
Whoever let two familys with names so
similar marry anyway.

Here is the 1850 census:

James Carroll 72 birth place unknown (Elvira
married Oct 27 1845 to James)
Mariah 36 NC
Rosanna Herrell 23 NC (this is distinctly
Herrell for this person on down)
Mary J Herrell 14 NC
Rosey C. Herrell 13 Tn
Nancy A Herrell 11 b Tn

Notice that all of the kids are Herrell, and
Rosanna is not married, she is the eldest
daughter. I reconciled this with the 1840
census and all these kids fit with Zachariah,
plus a few more kids who are farmed out.

Carrell, Augustus-18718Rosanna married
(MRIN:6874) Augustus Carrell-18718 son of James Wesley Carrell-21209 and
Elizabeth-21210 (MRIN:7817) in 1851 in Carrell, Augustus-18718Claiborne
Co.,Tennessee. Augustus was born in 1827/1832 in Virginia.

+6Fv.Mary J. Herrell-18719 was born in
1834/1836.
Herrell, Rosey C.-2296
7Fvi.Rosey C. Herrell-2296 was born in 1837 in
Tennessee.

The remnants of Zachariah's family are
dispersed, but not far from each other in 1850.
Much of the reassemble of his children is
done through fitting these folks together and
matching the kids on the 1840 census.
Zachariah's incarceration clearly had a
devastating affect on his family.

1840 and 1850 census. In 1850, 4 daughters
of Zach were with the James Carroll,
age 72, birthplace unknown and Mariah
Carroll, age 36 b NC. The differentiation
between Harrell and Carroll is very
distinct. Mariah at this age is too young to be
Zachariah's wife and too old to be his
daughter, so I don't know if there is a family
connection between the Carroll and Herrel
familys or not. The daughters living with
them were Rosanna, 23, Mary J, 14, Rosey C.,
13, Nancy A 11.

Cline, Daniel T.-21151Rosey married
(MRIN:7791) Daniel T. Cline-21151 on 18 Dec 1852 in Claiborne
Co.,Tennessee.
Herrell, Nancy A.-18863
8Fvii.Nancy A. Herrell-18863 was born in 1839 in
Tennessee.

The remnants of Zachariah's family are
dispersed, but not far from each other in 1850.
Much of the reassemble of his children is
done through fitting these folks together and
matching the kids on the 1840 census.
Zachariah's incarceration clearly had a
devastating affect on his family.

1840 and 1850 census. In 1850, 4 daughters
of Zach were with the James Carroll,
age 72, birthplace unknown and Mariah
Carroll, age 36 b NC. The differentiation
between Harrell and Carroll is very
distinct. Mariah at this age is too young to be
Zachariah's wife and too old to be his
daughter, so I don't know if there is a family
connection between the Carroll and Herrel
familys or not. The daughters living with
them were Rosanna, 23, Mary J, 14, Rosey C.,
13, Nancy A 11.

This could well be the individual who
married William McNalance (son of Thomas
McNealance and Candance Hill) married March
18 1853 in Claiborne Co., Tn.

+9Fviii.Lenna "Lurisy" Herrell-18864 was born in
1829.

+10Mix.John Herrell-21216 was born in 1838.

This may not be their son - added due to the proximity in Illinois.

Second Generation

Herrell, Alexander-188593.Alexander Herrell-18859 (Zachariah)
was born in 1824/1825 in North Carolina.

The remnants of Zachariah's family are dispersed, but not
far from each other in 1850. Much of the
reassemble of his children is done through fitting these
folks together and matching the kids on the 1840
census. Zachariah's incarceration clearly had a devastating
affect on his family.

Alexander is living beside James Carroll 72 and Mariah
Carroll 36. The Carroll and Herrell is pretty
distinctively different.

Spelled Herrill on the marriage bond book 2 page 93.

In the 1860 census in Wayne Co., Illinois with his mother
and sister.

Presley, Lydia Presnell-18860
Alexander married (MRIN:6931) Lydia Presnell Presley-18860 about
1846 in Claiborne Co.,Tennessee. Lydia was born in 1826.

Lidda on her marriage bond.

I question the middle name but I have no reason to eliminate
it.

Presnell seems to have been how it was spelled then and the
implication is that Presley is how it is
spelled now. I shudder to ask if this is the Elvis Presley
family.

Alexander and Lydia had the following children:
Herrell, Sireny "Lucy" E.-18861
11Fi.Sireny "Lucy" E. Herrell-18861 was born in
1847 in Claiborne Co.,Tennessee.

From 1850 census

From Peoples History of Claiborne.
12Mii.James J. or H. Herrell-18862 was born in
1848 in Claiborne Co.,Tennessee. He died before 1860.

From Peoples History of Claiborne.

He is not in the 1860 census.
13Fiii.Mary A. Herrell-21153 was born in 1858 in
Illinois.

Herrell, Sylvester-95194.Sylvester Herrell-9519 (Zachariah) was born
in 1828 in tennessee.

The remnants of Zachariah's family are dispersed, but not
far from each other in 1850. Much of the
reassemble of his children is done through fitting these
folks together and matching the kids on the 1840
census. Zachariah's incarceration clearly had a devastating
affect on his family.

Sylvester is beside Wesley.

Spelled Harrell on marriage license book 2 page 125.

Sylvester married (MRIN:6889) Lugana Nunn-18748 in 1848. Lugana was
born before 1828.

They had the following children:
Herrell, Arleany-18747
14Fi.Arleany Herrell-18747 was born in 1849 in
Claiborne Co.,Tennessee.

Herrell, Mary J.-187196.Mary J. Herrell-18719 (Zachariah) was born
in 1834/1836 in North Carolina.

Marriage bonds book 3 page 32 spelled Herrell.

The remnants of Zachariah's family are dispersed, but not
far from each other in 1850. Much of the
reassemble of his children is done through fitting these
folks together and matching the kids on the 1840
census. Zachariah's incarceration clearly had a devastating
affect on his family.

1840 and 1850 census. In 1850, 4 daughters of Zach were
with the James Carroll, age 72, birthplace
unknown and Mariah Carroll, age 36 b NC. The
differentiation between Harrell and Carroll is very
distinct. Mariah at this age is too young to be Zachariah's
wife and too old to be his daughter, so I don't
know if there is a family connection between the Carroll and
Herrel familys or not. The daughters living
with them were Rosanna, 23, Mary J, 14, Rosey C., 13, Nancy
A 11.

Because her mother married James Carroll, I suspect she is
the person who married Augustus.

Note that the 1860 census shows him living with a Margaret,
age 46, not a Mary. There is a 4 year old
daughter Amanda M.. Augustus is a miller and age 60. This
marriage to this person may not be correct.

1860 census says she is born in Va.

Mary married (MRIN:6875) Augustus Carrell-18718 son of James Wesley
Carrell-21209 and Elizabeth-21210 (MRIN:7817) on 4 Jul 1853 in Claiborne
Co.,Tennessee. Augustus was born in 1827/1832 in Virginia.

It looks like this really is a Carrell - Harrell and Carrell
- my worst name nightmare.

We have a lot of activity surrounding the Harrell/Herrell
and Carrol/Carrel familys. Whoever let two
familys with names so similar marry anyway.

Here is the 1850 census:

James Carroll 72 birth place unknown (Elvira married Oct 27
1845 to James)
Mariah 36 NC
Rosanna Herrell 23 NC (this is distinctly Herrell for this
person on down)
Mary J Herrell 14 NC
Rosey C. Herrell 13 Tn

Nancy A Herrell 11 b Tn

Notice that all of the kids are Herrell, and Rosanna is not
married, she is the eldest daughter. I
reconciled this with the 1840 census and all these kids fit
with Zachariah, plus a few more kids who are
farmed out.

Augustus and Mary had the following children:
Carrell, Maria-21220
15Fi.Maria Carrell-21220 was born in 1855 in
Tennessee.
Carrell, Alexander-21221
16Mii.Alexander Carrell-21221 was born in 1856 in
Illinois.
Carrell, James-21222
17Miii.James Carrell-21222 was born in 1858 in
Illinois.

Herrell, Lenna "Lurisy"-188649.Lenna "Lurisy" Herrell-18864
(Zachariah) was born in 1829.

She is shown in the 1840 census, but not the 1850 census.
She could have married.

Lenna married (MRIN:6984) Sylvester Nunn-19090 son of Elisha
Nunn-19087 (MRIN:6983) about 1846 in Claiborne Co.,Tennessee.

They had the following children:
Nunn, Eleanor-19088
18Fi.Eleanor Nunn-19088 was born in 1847.
Nunn, Wesley-19089
19Mii.Wesley Nunn-19089 was born in 1849 in
Claiborne Co.,Tennessee.

Herrell, John-2121610.John Herrell-21216 (Zachariah) was born in
1838 in Virginia.

Listed inthe 1860 beside Mariah in Wayne Co., Illinois.

John married (MRIN:7818) Evaline-21217 about 1857. Evaline was born
in 1840 in Iowa.
They had the following children:
Herrell, Matilda-21218
20Fi.Matilda Herrell-21218 was born in 1858 in
Illinois.
Herrell, John R.-21219
21Mii.John R. Herrell-21219 was born in 1859 in
Illinois.

This thread: