HARRIS-COLONIALVA-L Archives

Archiver > HARRIS-COLONIALVA > 2003-03 > 1046910567

From: "Betsy Webb" <>
Subject: Re: [HARRIS-COLVA] William Harris
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:29:27 -0600

My great grandparents were first cousins, both children of brothers who were
sons of William Benjamin (not Baptist as far as my family history) Harris
and Elizabeth Woods. This is what I have so far.

Regards,
Betsy

Descendants of William Harris

Generation No. 1

1. MAJ. WILLIAM11 HARRIS (WILLIAM LEE10, MATTHEW9, ROBERT8, WILLIAM7,
WILLIAM6, WILLIAM5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, JOHN2, WILLIAM1)1 was born 1748 in
Albemarle/York County, VA1, and died 1815 in Albemarle County, VA1. He
married ELIZABETH WAGSTAFF1 Abt. 1765 in Albemarle County, VA1. She was born
Abt. 1749 in York County, VA1, and died Aft. 1815 in Albemarle County,
Virginia1.

Notes for MAJ. WILLIAM HARRIS:

Albemarle Co., VA (GS#975.548 H2w)

Per Nelson County Will Book A, page 26

William Harris, Jan. 3, 1815; probated June 26, 1815. Witness: William Lee
Harris; Lee W. Harris; Vincent Marks: Henry Bibb, Jr., My ux, Eliz. - house
where I live and 400 acres; also many slaves named. Daughter, Mary Shelton
and husband, Jos. Shelton. Daughter, Eliz. Coleman and husband, Jos.
Coleman. Daughter, Fanny Nicholas and Husband, Lewis Nicholas. Son, Wm. B.
Harris--tract called Gilmore's - 1379 acres. Son, John W. Harris--plantation
where I live--1379 acres excepting 49 1/2 acres next to John Digges and
subject to devise made to my ux. Have recently sold 98 acres to John Woods
and recorded so John W. actually gets 1174 acres. Daughter, Judith Wharton
and husband, William Wharton and their children, William and Elizabeth
Wharton. Daughter, Lucinda Digges..trustees: William B. and John W. Harris
and John Mosby. Slaves loaned to my daughter, Caroline Coleman, and any
children. Grandson, William H. Digges. Friend, Lowzel Woodfolf of Kentucky
to sell my Kentucky land. He names several slaves to be freed at death of
ux, and they may work certain lands of mine and of my son, William B.
Harris. Exrs.: Friend, John Mosby and sons, William B. and John W. Harris.

reporting source:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/u/d/Barbara-W-Hudson/BOOK-0001/
0033-0

Identified children:

Mary Harris (Shelton)

Elizabeth Harris (Coleman)

Fanny Harris (Nicholas)

William Benjamin Harris - my line

John W. Harris

Judith Harris (Wharton)

Lucinda Harris (Digges)

Confused about whether they have a daughter Caroline, also married to a
Coleman.

More About WILLIAM HARRIS, MAJOR:

1: 6th of 10 children

2: 20 April 1789, Inventory of the estate of Capt Wm Harris

3: 20 October 1788, Named as co-executor of father Wm's will with his

brothers John and Benjamin Harris

More About MAJ. WILLIAM HARRIS:

Generation: Bet. 1742 - 1766, Civic/Hero, Republican

More About ELIZABETH WAGSTAFF:

Generation: Bet. 1742 - 1766, Civic/Hero, Republican

Children of WILLIAM HARRIS and ELIZABETH WAGSTAFF are:

2. i. WILLIAM BENJAMIN12 HARRIS, b. Abt. 1772, Albemarle County, VA; d.
1862, Buried at Old Rockfish Church, Nelson County, VA.

ii. MARY HARRIS, b. 1770; d. 1839, Nelson County, VA; m. JOSEPH SHELTON,
August 01, 1785, Amherst County, VA; b. March 04, 1758, VA; d. March 10,
1828, Nelson County, VA.

iii. ELIZABETH LEE HARRIS, b. Abt. 1766; m. JOSEPH COLEMAN, December 17,
1790, Amherst County, VA; b. Abt. 1751, Spottsylvania County, VA.

iv. FRANCES HARRIS, b. Abt. 1768, Albemarle County, VA; m. LEWIS NICHOLAS,
April 10, 1793, Albemarle County, VA; b. Abt. 1768.

v. JOHN W HARRIS, b. Abt. 1774, Albemarle County, VA.

vi. JUDITH HARRIS, b. Abt. 1776; m. WILLIAM WHARTON; b. Abt. 1776.

vii. LUCINDA HARRIS, b. Abt. 1786, Nelson County, VA; m. JOHN DIGGS, August
19, 1805, Amherst County, VA; b. 1784; d. Bef. 1850.

viii. CAROLINE HARRIS, b. Abt. 1780, Nelson County, VA; m. ROBERT G.
COLEMAN.

Generation No. 2

2. WILLIAM BENJAMIN12 HARRIS (WILLIAM11, WILLIAM LEE10, MATTHEW9, ROBERT8,
WILLIAM7, WILLIAM6, WILLIAM5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, JOHN2, WILLIAM1)2 was born
Abt. 1772 in Albemarle County, VA2, and died 1862 in Buried at Old Rockfish
Church, Nelson County, VA2. He married ELIZABETH WOODS2 Abt. 18002, daughter
of SAMUEL WOODS and MARY. She was born Abt. 17702, and died WFT Est.
1821-18872.

Notes for WILLIAM BENJAMIN HARRIS:

More about William Benjamin Harris:

1: January 3, 1815, Named as child by Wm. Harris will.

More About WILLIAM BENJAMIN HARRIS:

Generation: Bet. 1767 - 1791, Adaptive/Artist, Compromise

More About ELIZABETH WOODS:

Generation: Bet. 1767 - 1791, Adaptive/Artist, Compromise

Children of WILLIAM HARRIS and ELIZABETH WOODS are:

3. i. WILLIAM HENRY13 HARRIS, b. Abt. 1818, Albemarle County, Virginia; d.
1887, Field Place, Batesville, Albemarle County, VA.

4. ii. CAPT. JAMES MONTAGUE HARRIS, b. June 11, 1813, Nelson County, VA; d.
January 08, 1893, Tye River, Nelson County, VA.

iii. JUDITH W. HARRIS, b. Abt. 1818; m. JOSEPH HARRIS SHELTON; b. 1821,
Nelson County, VA; d. Aft. 1880.

Generation No. 3

3. WILLIAM HENRY13 HARRIS (WILLIAM BENJAMIN12, WILLIAM11, WILLIAM LEE10,
MATTHEW9, ROBERT8, WILLIAM7, WILLIAM6, WILLIAM5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, JOHN2,
WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1818 in Albemarle County, Virginia, and died 1887 in
Field Place, Batesville, Albemarle County, VA. He married MARY JANE WAYLAND
January 18, 1847 in Albemarle County, VA, daughter of JEREMIAH WAYLAND and
MARY RAMSEY. She was born August 12, 1824 in Albemarle County, Virginia.

Notes for WILLIAM HENRY HARRIS:

William Henry Harris lived on the old Field Place near Batesville, was
appointed a magistrate in 1838, and died in 1887.

More About WILLIAM HENRY HARRIS:

Generation: Bet. 1792 - 1821, Idealist/Prophet, Transcendental

Notes for MARY JANE WAYLAND:

NOTE: A, p.101. The name "Herron" is practically illegible on the marriage
register, and it could be practically anything. It is on p. 94 of the
Albemarle Co. Marriage Register 1806-67. Date is when the bond was set.

The above note refers to the mistake that some have made regarding William
Henry HARRIS (not Herron).

More About MARY JANE WAYLAND:

Generation: Bet. 1822 - 1842, Reactive/Nomad, Gilded

Children of WILLIAM HARRIS and MARY WAYLAND are:

i. WILLIAM CLIFTON14 HARRIS, b. December 06, 1847, Batesville, Albemarle
County, VA; d. November 14, 1934, Rockfish District, Nelson County, VA; m.
ALICE MARY HARRIS, Bef. 1878, Afton, Albemarle County, VA; b. February 06,
1853, "Oak Hill," Greenfield, Nelson County, VA; d. November 29, 1927,
Nashville, Davidson County, TN.

Notes for WILLIAM CLIFTON HARRIS:

Died at age 86 years, 11 months, 8 days. Buried two days after his death,
November 16. He was a farmer and married a second wife, Fannie Lee, born
September 12, 1863, who died September 2, 1935, less than one year after
their marriage. Wm. Clifton Harris is buried in the Rockfish Presbyterian
Church Cemetery in Nelson County, VA. Fannie is also buried at Rockfish
Presbyterian Cemetery in Nelson County, VA.

A Confederate soldier, he was captured at the Battle of Five Forks, which
occurred on April 1, 1865, and taken to the model Yankee military prison at
Point Lookout, Maryland where "he languished in prison." - Mary Alice Harris

More About WILLIAM CLIFTON HARRIS:

Burial: Rockfish Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Nelson County, VA

Generation: Bet. 1843 - 1859, Adaptive/Artist, Progressive

Notes for ALICE MARY HARRIS:

Family Bible lists "Gammie" as Alice M. Harris, written in her mother's
handwriting. Gammie may have decided herself to switch her names around,
since, as an adult, she went by Mary Alice. Early family letters refer to
her as Alice; later correspondance to Mary Alice. Her sister, Lizzie
(Diddie), called her Sister Alice.

More About ALICE MARY HARRIS:

Burial: Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Nashville, TN, Section 4

Generation: Bet. 1843 - 1859, Adaptive/Artist, Progressive

ii. JOHN W HARRIS.

Notes for JOHN W HARRIS:

Became a lawyer, settled in Galveston, Texas; graduate of University of
Verginia; Governor of Texas.

iii. SAMUEL HARRIS.

iv. HENRY HARRIS.

v. REBECCA HARRIS.

vi. CORA HARRIS.

4. CAPT. JAMES MONTAGUE13 HARRIS (WILLIAM BENJAMIN12, WILLIAM11, WILLIAM
LEE10, MATTHEW9, ROBERT8, WILLIAM7, WILLIAM6, WILLIAM5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3,
JOHN2, WILLIAM1) was born June 11, 1813 in Nelson County, VA, and died
January 08, 1893 in Tye River, Nelson County, VA. He married JACINTHA
TAZEWELL RODES May 29, 1845 in Greenfield, Nelson County, VA, daughter of
JOHN RODES and FRANCINA BROWN. She was born August 20, 1809 in Midway
Plantation, Crozet, Albemarle County, VA, and died December 19, 1860 in
Greenfield, Nelson County, VA.

Notes for CAPT. JAMES MONTAGUE HARRIS:

Upon the death of James M. Harris, a friend quoted in his memorium,

" Time's the King of Men:

He is both their parent and he is their grave;

He gives them what he wills and not what they crave.

Death kindly comes and opens wide the door,

And lights our passage to the golden shore.

Oblivion spans the gulf while we tread,

The silent pathway of the living dead."

He died at the home of his brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph H.
Shelton, on Tye River, in his native county, Nelson, on the 8th inst..where
he was on a visit. He was 80 years old.

Repeatedly, he was a member of the old County Court, and , as a justice, was
fair and firm. Twice he was Land Assessor, and represented the county one
term in the House of Delegates just after the war.

Note: It is written by his granddaughter, Cousin Betty Murphy, that his
middle M. initial stands for Montague.

Information in "Woods History of Albemarle County Virginia," pp. 306-8.

More About CAPT. JAMES MONTAGUE HARRIS:

Burial: 1893, Hebron Baptist Cemetery, Nelson County, VA

Cause of Death: Old age and general debility

Generation: Bet. 1792 - 1821, Idealist/Prophet, Transcendental

More About JACINTHA TAZEWELL RODES:

Burial: 1860

First Marriage: To Capt. John Massie Smith

Generation: Bet. 1792 - 1821, Idealist/Prophet, Transcendental

Children of JAMES HARRIS and JACINTHA RODES are:

i. ALICE MARY14 HARRIS, b. February 06, 1853, "Oak Hill," Greenfield, Nelson
County, VA; d. November 29, 1927, Nashville, Davidson County, TN; m. WILLIAM
CLIFTON HARRIS, Bef. 1878, Afton, Albemarle County, VA; b. December 06,
[...]

ii. JAMES CLIFTON HARRIS, b. March 30, 1846, Greenfield, Nelson County, VA;
d. April 01, 1935, Washington, D.C.; m. HARRIOTT ELIZABETH SMITH, January
04, 1870, Avon, VA; b. June 02, 1851, Greenwood, VA; d. May 19, 1930, 5308
5th Street NW, Washington, D.C..

Notes for JAMES CLIFTON HARRIS:

Buried at Hebron Baptist Cemetery in Nelson County, VA with Confederate
marker at his grave.

More About JAMES CLIFTON HARRIS:

Burial: 1935, Hebron Baptist Cemetery, Nelson County

More About HARRIOTT ELIZABETH SMITH:

Burial: 1930

iii. LIZZIE WOODS HARRIS, b. December 12, 1848, Nelson County, VA; d. Mt.
Olivet Cemetary, Nashville, Davidson County, TN, Section 4.