HARRIS-GA-L Archives

Archiver > HARRIS-GA > 2009-05 > 1243780715

From: Jason Harris <>
Subject: [HARRIS-GA] Morgan County GA - Harris Family inquiry
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 07:38:35 -0700 (PDT)

I am the ggg-grandson of Ausborn Harris.  His family was said to have moved to the area @1800 from Virginia.  I have documented via Census/Tax/Land/Marriage/and Family History my lineage back to Morgan County, GA....the family being:

William Harris (1767? - died some time after his will dtd 10 May 1820)
 - Wife Sarah (believed to be Percival/Parswell of Virginia)

Children:
1. Sarah Phenaty Harris (@1800 - 1886 TX) - First marriage: William Alston Thompson who fathered her children and died 1837 TX. Second marriage: William Sneed.

2. Ausborn Harris (1803-aft.1880TX) - Married Louisa Benge 27 Jan 1830 in Morgan County, GA. Sometimes seen as "Osborn" in records.

3. Theophilus Alexander Harris (1809-1879GA) - Married to Martha Harris...some believe to be his cousin, but I have never seen the connection.

4. Seaborn J Harris (1816-1884TX) - First marriage: Emily Arnold (1817-1865). Second marriage: Nancy ??

Based on wills from Morgan and Walton counties in Georgia and a published article, I pieced together a further lineage.  The William Harris above is believed to be the son of George Harris (will recorded in Walton County GA Deed Book A&B 1819-1822, page 9 and dtd 15 May 1820).  Based on an article titled "The Harriss Family Pioneer - From Virginia to Texas" p 134 of an unknown publication and author, George Harris was said to be the son of William Harris or Hanover, Virginia.  Based on the Family Data Collection databases, I then was able to trace the lineage back to England.  I am suspect that due to name similarities (I can't count the number of Williams...) and the fact that I have never been able to find who wrote the article referenced above to check their source documentation, that my purported lineage starting with the George Harris referenced above is actually a different Harris family.

My Y-Haplogroup is in the R1b family.  However, after having my Y-DNA tested, it appears there were two Harris families in the area, one from Virginia and one from South Carolina.  My delimma is trying to figure out which William Harris I should be tracking down.  Based on the Harris DNA project, it appears the other Harris family is in the Ia family.  It is believed that the R1b Harris family in Morgan were the ones from South Carolina, however, I have not been able to make the connection.  Can anyone out there shed some light?

Many thanks!

Jason Harris

This thread: