HARRIS-HUNTERS-L Archives

Archiver > HARRIS-HUNTERS > 2007-06 > 1182817853

From: "Carol E. Barron" <>
Subject: [HARRIS-HUNTERS] Orange Co. VA marriages plus 1812/14 will of MosesHarris, Orange Co.
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:30:53 -0500

I sent the below Orange Co. VA marriages to the list way back when (21
Aug 2002) to the Harris VA list. But seems mixed in these were Albemarle
Co. people...and since there were few Harris lines in Orange Co. VA in
this timeframe, thought I would try to separate some lines that I have
knowledge of including my own line. The two main lines in Orange Co. VA
I can see are: Thomas Harris d 1782, Moses Harris d 1812/14.

I've put an * beside those who I believe were Orange Co. of my line &
two** from Moses Harris line. Could someone who is familiar with those
of Albemarle Co. please note them & return to list. Something tells me
many of these marriages are from the Albemarle Co. James Harris/Phares
line.

Following are marriages listed in The Harris Papers, Orange Co. VA
Volume, by Kathryn Wiggins,
from the Orange Co. Marriage Resister #1, 1757-1867:

p3, John Harris & Frances Rowzee Nov 17, 1774 (Deed Bk 17)

p43, Peter Harris & Mary Stanfield Estes Feb 27, 1797 Wm Estes, sec.

p52, John Harris & Milly Price Nov 3, 1800

p67, James Harris & Sally Estes Dec 25, 1805

p37, Caty Harris & Sturd Owens Mar 31, 1795

*p80, Lucy Harris & John S. McGhee Nov 25, 1811

Peter Harris and Isaac Goodall witness marriage of David C. Ballard &
Elizabeth Huckstep, 1811

*p81, Matilda Harris & Daniel Gardner 23 Dec 1811

p83, Olly Harris & Caleb Norris June 18, 1812

*p95, Lewis Harris & Martha Smith Nov 17, 1816, Richard Chapman, wit.

p103, William Harris & Peggy Gibson Jan 24, 1819

**p108, Moses T. Harris & Elvira M. Bowcock May 27, 1822 wit: Elizabeth
W.
Harris, Archilles M. Barksdale, Jr., Reynolds Chapman: A.M. Barksdale,
bondsman

p122, James Harris & Fanny Estes Dec 24, 1827

p136, Calvin D. Harris & Mary Frances Bowler, Dec 14, 1833 Reynolds
Chapman, wit.

**p139, John C. Harris & Mary A.E. Timberlake Nov 13, 1834 Wm Chapman
wit.
[see my note below on this John C. Harris]

p143, Littleton Harris & Sarah Estes Dec 26, 1836 Wm Chapman, wit.

p111, Elizabeth Harris & Solomon Groom Sep 15, 1823, P.S. Fry, wit.

*p113, Sabina Harris & Spotswood Long Jun 29, 1824, Thomas Harris,
bondsman; Reynolds Chapman, wit.

p113, Elizabeth Harris & Winston White Oct 16, l824, P.S. Fry, wit.

p132, Frances Harris & Wm Clark Feb 6, 1832, Thomas Harris, bondsman,
Reynolds Chapman wit.

p143, Catharine Harris & James Good Oct 24, 1836, Littleton Harris, bond
and witness, with John Estes and W. M. Chapman

p174, William D. Harris & Rachel V. Faulconer 29 May 1856

p185, Richard H. Harris & Lucy M. Davis 22 Jan 1863

Note: I have a 1823-1848 Orange Co. VA chancery of John C. Harris vs.
Lewis Walker [aka Meriwether Lewis Walker of Albemarle Co.] & according
to chancery, this John C. Harris is dec'd in 1848...Moses T. Harris
provided bond for this chancery in the year 1823...one of those long
strung-out court suits. Moses T. Harris is noted as son in the will of
Moses Harris of Orange Co. VA 1812/14 will (see below). Moses T. is
noted in 1830 Orange Co. VA census but was in 1850 Howard Co., MO census
with a 10 yr old b MO, so he evidently was there by 1840. The 1850
Howard Co. MO census shows Moses T. age 55, Mary age 35, Helen M. 20,
Mary E. 18, Tho. J. 17, Lucy J. 13, J.A. 10, Jackson 5, James A. 3,
Rebecca 1.

>From The Harris Papers, Orange Co. VA Vol., by Kathryn Wiggins
p 10, The will of Moses Harris 1812-1814 of Orange, who being advanced in
years names his three children: Thomas Jefferson Harris, Moses T.
Harris, and his daughter, Elizabeth Harris; also, his wife, also children
Rebecca Bibb, John Harris, William Harris, Moses T. Harris, Elizabeth
Harris and Thomas Jefferson Harris; friends Thomas Ellis and Arthur
Clayton to execute his desire. Nathaniel Gordon gives security when the
widow Judith probates the will, and Thomas Bibb helps with the estate.
Witnesses: James Wallace, Robt L. Broadus, Elizabeth Shirley, John Nunn,
and James H. Ellis. Inventory by Augustus Webb, Thomas Jenkins, William
Ball [Bell], 1814.

This thread: