HARRIS-HUNTERS-L Archives

Archiver > HARRIS-HUNTERS > 2008-03 > 1204489324

From: Carol Barron <>
Subject: [HARRIS-HUNTERS] Thomas Jr. & Harrison Harris
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:22:04 -0600

I believe the 1747 Amelia Tithable list (below) indicates father &
possibly two sons--Thomas Harris, Thomas Harris, Jr. & Harrison
Harris...altho I keep wondering why the name of Tho. doesn't come down
thru Harrison's immediate line. My Tho. Harris Jr. died 1782 Orange Co.
VA w/previous records showing he formerly lived in Louisa Co. 1763-66.
Harrison Harris is found in records of Goochland & Louisa Co. & migrated
to early frontier Kentucky in the mid-late 1780's where he left his will
in 1795 Woodford Co., KY. Need DNA from Harrison Harris line. My DNA
line is from Tho. Jr.'s son Lewis Harris in Group 8.

Children of Thomas Harris Jr. d 1782 & wife Sabra: Lindsay Harris (m
Atkins), Thomas Harris (m Gardner), John Harris (no info.), Lewis
Harris(m 2) Smith), Elizabeth Harris (m James Payne), Mary Harris (m
Lewis Walker).

Children of Harrison Harris d 1795: Nathaniel, Randolph, David, Susanna
(m Caldwell), Elizabeth (m Hicks/Hix), Mourning (m Adams).

So, judging by the below tithables, looks as tho both Tho. Jr & Harrison
are tithable age which would put their birth ca 1720-30'ish with Tho.
Sr's birth ca pre-1700.

The Edward Harris w/slaves Major & Madam in the tithables below left his
1747 Amelia Co. will naming his son, Nathaniel, also attached below.
Does anyone have this Nathaniel Harris of Amelia Co. VA?

Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, vol. 42, no. 4 (2004)
Amelia County Tithables, 1747 by Dennis Ray Hudgins:

A List of Tithables taken by order of Amelia Court June 10th 1747.
[below are in exact order of list; surnames were not alphabetized-ls]
[List of John Nash]
Edwd Gressum &
Negro Squire 2
Edwd Harris, Majr &
Madam Negr 3
Natha Harris & Cha Harris 2
Benja Harris's Tiths
Peter & Dinah 2
Thos Harris,
Thos Harris junr
& Harrison Harris 3

Amelia Co., VA, DB 3:37, 16 March 1747
Edward Harris of Raleigh Parish Amelia County willing “to disburthen
myself of all Worldly affairs the better to provide for Eternity to which
I am hastening and out of the Love and Affection I bear to my son
Nathaniel Harris and in regard of his duty and obedience to me hitherto
in paying all Debts that I have contracted and of his providing for
maintaining me and my wife Unity during our Natural lives in a decent and
plain manner” give all my estate real and personal viz: five slaves viz:
a Negro man named Major, a Negro woman named Madam, a Negro boy named
Will, a Negro boy named Tab and a Negro boy named Holerday with their
increase; nine head of cattle, one bay mare, nine head of hogs, one bed
and furniture, three iron pots, two frying pans, one set of carpenters
tools, one set of coopers with whatever else is properly mine to my said
son Nathaniel Harris. Wife Unity relinquishes every interest she has to
the estate.
Ed. Harris /s/ Unity [VH her mark] Harris /s/
Witness: John Fips, Robert Grosham, Charles Harris
Amelia Co., VA, DB 3:38, 16 March 1747

Nathaniel Harris of Amelia County to Edward Grosham for 80 pounds all the
right, claim and interest I have or may have under my father Edward
Harris to two slaves viz: Nan and Squire.
Nathl [N his mark] Harris
Amelia Co., VA, DB 3:36, 8 March 1747
Nathaniel Harris of Amelia County bound unto John Green of Goochland
County for 100 pounds sterling. Whereas Edward Harris of Amelia County
together with the above bound Nathaniel Harris and husband to Unity
Harris by a deed of gift made unto Nathaniel Harris all his estate both
real and personal with Unity’s consent, two slaves viz Major, Holladay
and two Negro boys belonging to the estate of said Edward Harris and now
in the possession of the above bounden Nathaniel Harris. The condition of
this obligation such that the above bounded Nathaniel Harris “shall
convey or cause to be conveyed unto the above named John Green for and in
trust and behoof of the said Unity Harris” right and title to the two
named slaves.
Nath. [N his mark] Harris
Witness: Nathl Hoggett, Paul Pigg, Mary Grosham, Reberkah Pigg

This thread: