HARRIS-HUNTERS-L Archives

Archiver > HARRIS-HUNTERS > 2009-06 > 1244650954

From: "Gloria Reid" <>
Subject: [HARRIS-HUNTERS] Joel Harris: ancestors and descendants
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:22:34 -0500

I am a new subscriber, but an old genealogist. Before I joined the list, I studied the archives of HARRIS-HUNTERS hoping to find out something about my own line of Harrises. I would like to post the information that I have with the hope that it will be useful to some.

THOMAS HARRIS left a will in Isle of Wight County VA on March 14 1688 (recorded on October 9, 1688) He did not mention a wife who probably predeceased him. He did mention the following children:

1. Edward Harris

2. Jane Harris

3. John Harris

4. ROBERT HARRIS

5. George Harris

6. Thomas Harris

7. Martin Harris***

8. William Harris

9. Ann Harris

This will has been transcribed on HARRIS-HUNTERS more than once so I will refrain from repeating it.

ROBERT HARRIS was born about 1667 in Isle of Wight, son of Thomas and his wife Ann (Martin Tomlin?) Harris. It is believed by most researchers that he married Ann Fulgham before Edward's birth about 1663. He made his will on March 22, 1739, recorded Isle of Wight, VA Will Book Vol. 4, p. 266, on April 28, 1740. I used the transcription done by Vance C. Harris. I do not have a copy of this will.

Robert and Ann Harris had children which were mentioned in his will:

Ann

Robert

JOHN-mentioned in Uncle Martin's will

Michael

Charles

Joseph

James- mentioned in Uncle Martin's will

Mathew- mentioned in Uncle Martin's will

Michael Harris was named Executor. John Kinkley and Josiah John Holliman were witnesses.

Robert Harris' brother MARTIN HARRIS*** did not marry. In his will written Feb. 1, 1747 and recorded April 12, 1750; Southampton Will Book 1 p. 10-11, (I have a photocopy of this will).he left bequests to:

James Harris, son of Robert, the plantation whereon I now live of 200 acres and one Negro woman called Jenny

James Harris, son of Edward; one Negro Man called Balaam

Mathew Harris, son of Robert, one Negro girl called Patt

JOHN HARRIS, son of Robert, one Negro girl called OLIVE

William Harris, son of George, one Negro Girl called Rose

James Harris, son of James one ---- of Pistolls & Holsters

In a memorandum at the end of the will he said, "It is my desire that James Harris on my giving him my land to make over to his Brother Matthew his part of the land given him by his father Robert Harris."

John Dunkey, Joseph Jones & William Jones co-executors

Witnesses: Catherine Dunkley and Joseph Mounger

JOHN HARRIS, son of Robert, to whom a Negro girl called Olive was left by his uncle Martin Harris, died about 1772. His will was written on 1771 in Southampton Co. VA; Will Book 3,p.21-22, Southampton Co. VA; recorded Feb 11, 1773. I have a photocopy of the will. This is my own transcription.

John named wife Avis Harriss, and children: Harmon, HOWEL, Lucy, Elizabeth, Joel and Benjamin. He left the land he lived on to Avis and after her decease to Benjamin. If Benj. died before he had heirs, then land was to go to Joel.

"In the name of God, Amen, I John Harris of Southampton County being in Perfect Health now and Memory thanks be to the almighty God do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament in manner and form as followeth, viz:

"I give and bequeath to my loving wife Avis Harris the use of four Neg. During her life namely OLIVE, James, David and Dinah and their futer increase & after the decease of my wife I give the said slaves and their increase to be equally divided between my six children namely Harmon Harris, Howel Harris, Lucy Harris, Elizab. Harris, Joel Harris and Benjamin Harris or the Survivors of them to them and their heirs forever. My will and desire is that the said slaves shall not be sold out of the family.

"I give to four of my children, namely Lucy, Elizabeth, Joel and Benjamin Harris feather beds to each of them.

"I give and bequeath to my loving wife Avis Harris the use of my Land and Plantation whereon I now live during her life and after her decease I give my said land to my son Benjamin Harris forever but in case my son Benja depart this life in his non-age or without Lawful Issue of his Body then I give this said Land to my son Joel Harris and his heirs forever.

"I give to my Loving wife Avis Harris all the remainder of my estate not heretofore mentioned to her and her heirs forever.

"I constitute and appoint my son Howel Harris my whole Executor of this my last will and testament Revoking and making void all former wills by me made. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal this 11 day of May Anno Dom 1771.

his

John + Harris (Seal)

mark

Signed Sealed and delivered

To be the last Will of John Harris

In presence of

Arthur Holleman

Margaret Holleman

William Holleman

At a Court held for the County of Southampton the 11 day of Feb 1773 this will was presented in Court by Howel Harris of the aforesaid herein named and .......by the oaths of Arthur Holleman, Margaret Holleman & Wm. Holleman three of the witnesses etc (illegible) Signed ? R Kolle ... CC"

In this will, John Harris names a slave named Olive...the same woman given to John, son of Robert, by his uncle Martin Harris? Martin's will was written in 1747 and John's will was written in 1771 making a difference of 24 years. It is certainly in the realm of possibility that it is the same woman.

JOEL HARRIS was the son of John and Avis Hollimon Harris. He is named in John's will written 1771 in Southampton Co. VA; Will Book 3,p.21-22, Southampton Co. VA; recorded Feb 11, 1773.

He married Martha Barham, daughter of James Barham and Mary Thorpe, and granddaughter of Charles Barham and Sarah Judkins in Southampton Co. VA.

Joel and Martha's children were:

Charles B. Harris, b. 1779;

*Sarah Judkins Harris b. 1779-1780

**William Harris

Lucy Harris, b. abt 1784;

HOWELL Harris b. 1786;

Avis Harris, b. 1788,

Joel married the second time to Marjory Cannady. Their children were:

Harmon Harris b. 1800;

Elizabeth Harris b. 1802;

Martin Harris b. 1805;

Charity Harris b. 1807;

Arthur Harris b. 1810,

Hester Harris b. 1813;

Joel Harris b. 1815 in NC

*Sarah Judkins Harris b. 1779-1780 daughter of Joel and Martha Barham Harris, married William Middleton, Jr. in Guilford County, NC on March 22, 1800. She died December 11, 1843 in Iuka, Marion County, IL.(Documented)

Their children:

Thomas Landman Middleton b. Wednesday the 2nd of April 1800

Lydia Pugh Middleton born Monday Feb 1, 1802

Joel Harvey Middleton born Thursday 25th day December 1803

William Harris Middleton born August 9th 1805

Betsy Woodard Middleton born March 1807

John Buckner Middleton b. January the 10th 1809

Patsy Barham Middleton b. October the 26th 1810

Jane Baxter Middleton b. Tuesday the 29th September 1812

Sarah Elgin Middleton b. Saturday the 8th day of May 1814

James Alexander Hill Middleton b. Monday 4th of March 1816

Watson Josephas Middleton b. Sunday night 1 March 1818.

**Joel Harris' son William Harris married Jane Middleton, d/o William Middleton and Elizabeth Landman on Tuesday, Aug 19, 1806.by C. Ready Esq.

Their children:

Elizabeth Landman Harris b. Thursday, 28th day of May 1807

Martha and Joel Harris, twins were born Friday Morning Sept 22, 1809

John Harris was born Friday night 26 July 1811

Howell Harris b. Friday morning the day of Nov 19, 1813.

Newton Harris b. Tuesday night the 8th April 1817

William Harris departed this life Thursday morning about three o'clock the 25th May 1820

NOTE: Names and dates for Harris and Middleton children were taken from the William and Elizabeth Landman Middleton Bible.

Gloria Buckles Reid

This thread: