HARRIS-HUNTERS-L Archives

Archiver > HARRIS-HUNTERS > 2010-09 > 1283779072

From: "Mary B Harris" <>
Subject: Re: [HARRIS-HUNTERS] Will of Nathaniel Harris, SC, 1787
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 09:17:52 -0400

Below are the land grants I could find for Harris's in Granville county NC
from the book Granville District NC 1748-1763 Abstracts vol 2
I put it in a spread sheet which has the headings.
numberpageNameDateAcreageWitnessSurvey Date
Sworn Chain CarriersPatent book page number SurvveyorNotes****

This is by no means an exhaustive list for I am sure I have left some
Harris's out. But the general area I was looking at was the present day
Granville, Warren, Vance County NC areas. I live presently live on the land
that was owned by the below Claborn Harris of Little Ruin Creek which is in
modern Vance County NC formed in 1881.
And less then 3 miles away is this patent to Richard Harris on Poplar creek
which said creek is off Ext 209 of Interstate 85 in Vance county also.

168641Richard Harrisnone given640 acres both sides of
Poplar creek, joining Robert Garris and Jona WhiteJosiah Mitcher18
august 1758robt Garriss, Richd Harris11-387Dan Weldon

Which is approx. 3 miles away from the Harris Meeting House which an
historic sign is located in Granville county NC

Other references
New Light Creek- I think is in the present day Wake county NC _ Gilliam
Harris

Little Island and Island creek are Up Near the present day Vance and
Granville county lines with the state of Virginia

But please do not forget to check the Durham county records as I know there
were a Robert and Nathaniel Harris who had mills on the Flat creek area.

I will provide a hard copy to anyone who requests it by email to

Mary Harris daughter kit 969024 group 4

numberpageNameDateAcreageWitnessSurvey Date
Sworn Chain CarriersPatent book page number SurvveyorNotes****

154026Benjamin Eagerton11 March 1760616 Acres in Parish
of St John on both sides of Fishing Creek, joining Pains line and Macons
CornerWill Hurst, Law Lancaster31 March 1752Nath Nicholson, Jno
Baker11-355Dan Weldon

164737Charles Harris14 March 1760450 acres in the parish of
St John on the Branches of Aaronscreek, joinin Jones corner and Wades Line
Will Hurst Law Lancaster, James Yancey14 February 1758Willm Gill,
John Baynes11-378Sher Haywood

165237Charles Harris1 May 1752300 acres Parish of St John
bothe sides of Lickhole CreekJno Haywood, Jas Paine16 July 1749Wm
Narmord, Dan Harris11-380Dan Weldon

166338Charles Harris2 Dec 1760626 acres parish of St John
on the S side of Little fishing Creek, joining robert Harris, Jos. Harris,
benjamin Egerton and the sd creekWill Hurst, Robt. CallerPlat
is missing11-382

166538Christopher Harris5 Dec 1761630 acres Branches
of Tabbs Creek, joining Hutsons Line, Persons line, Whites line and Harris's
lineJno Linton, Jas Martin Jr.1 June 176-Nathl Henderson,
Christpher Harris11-382Thos Person

174046Claborn Harris24 Oct 1754300 acres both sides of
little Ruin CreekJames Campbell, Sherd Haywood20 November 1752
Robert Harris, William Hicks11-399Dan Weldon

168541Daniel Harris11 March 1760185 Acres in Parish of St
John on the S side of the little fishing Creeks joining Bobbits corner and
Beef creek to the mouthWill Hurst, daniel Pegram28 September 1751
Burret Johnson, George Hazelwood11-387Dan Weldon

165838Daniel Harris25 Nove 1760624 Acres parish of St John
on bothe sides of Bobbits Branch, joining Williams lineWill Hurst, Daniel
Pegram5 June 1760George Jordan, Richd Proctor11-381Thos Person*
Grant Reads for Captain Daniel Harris

167540Gilliam Harris1 Dec 1760297 acresParish of St John
on both sides of New Light Creek, joining Terrills line and Fulchers line
Thos Lowe, thos conti16 May 1760John Pettypool, Robert Sanford
11-385Thos Person

171944Gilliam Harris1 january 1762700 acres on both sides of
New Light Creek, joining Fullers lineJno Linton, Jas Martin Jr.22
September 1761John Bridgers, John Cape11-394Thos Person

154226James Egerton1 August 1762150 acres N side of little
Fishing Creek, joining Greens corner, Proctors line, Benjamin Egerton and
the sd creekjos Long15 March 1762Benjamin Egerton, John
Egerton11-355Thomas Person

167640John Harris1 Dec 1760257 Acres Parish of St John
both sides of Aarons Creek, joining Sith lineJames Yancey, Thos Lowe26
May 1760John Pettypool, Robert SanfordThos Person

173145John Harris6 February 1762456 acres on the E side of
Great Fishing Creek, joining Hills corner Davis's line and sd creek
nothingnothingnothing11-397

167740Joseph Harris13 March 1760301 acres parish of St John
both sides of Lick Hole Creek joining Harris's lineWill Johnson, Julius
Nichols12 September 1755James Harris, charles Harris11-385Sher
Haywood****One copy of the grant calls for 401 acres howerver the plate
reads 301 acres

165738Joseph Harris1 May 1752640 Acres Parish of St John
bothe sides of Lickhole Creek, joining Charles Harris and sd CreekJno
Haywood, Jas Paine16 July 1749John Kicker, Will Narmow
11-381Dan Weldon

162435Lewis Harris26 Oct 1753640 Acres N. sid of Bens
Creek joining at mouth and side of Sick branch and Piney BranchJn Haywood,
Sherwood Haywood 30 sept 1751Daniel Harris, Edward Young
11-374Daniel Weldon

163135Matthew Harris25 August 1760250 acres parish of St john
on both sides of Beef CreekJulius Nichols, Will Johnson31 march
1753Joseph Harris, Ben Egerton11-375nonethese deeds was pd
for to Major Hurst.

165137Michael Harris1 May1752350 acres in Paris of St
John on the N side of Ben's Creek, joining Bensons line, the Piney Branch,
and said creekJn Haywood, James Paine14 july 1749John Kicker, Wm
Narmore11-379D Weldon

168340Nathaniel Harris27 Nov 1760439 acres Parish of
St John on both sides of Little Island Creek, joining Richard Harris and
John KirklandJ Williams Jr. will Hurst18 September 1754
William Holdton, Richd Thoden Kirkland11-386Sher Haywood

163535Nathaniel Harris25 July 1761643 acres joining
Satterwhites corner,Plovers line, Hornes line, Turrys line, Mitchells line,
Harriss line, and a BranchWilliam Taylor, Thomas____28 August
1760John Trivillain, Rot Deshazo11-376Thomas Person

169141Richard Harris26 Oct 1754507 Acres both sides of
matthew's Branch, joining Norwoods line and Harris's old lineSher
Haywood, Wil Haywood15 May 1752Jno Norwood, Henry Rardon
11-388Dan Weldon
168641Richard Harrisnone given640 acres both sides of
Poplar creek, joining Robert Garris and Jona WhiteJosiah Mitcher18
august 1758robt Garriss, Richd Harris11-387Dan Weldon

163936Richard Harris28 April 1753860 acres East side of
Island Creek, joining the mouth and side of Gross's Branch, Harris's Corner
and the sd creekJohn Haywood,Dan Weldon18 May 1751Ephrain
Lisles, Jno Williams jr.11-377Dan Weldon

164036Richard Harris28 April 1753420 Acres N side of Gosses
Branch, joining the sd branchJohn Haywood, Dan Weldon18 May 1751
Ephrain Lisles, Jno Williams jr.11-377Dan Weldon

170242Richard Harris14 May 1757670 Acres Parish of St John
on the E side of Island Creek, joining Gosses Branch and Harri's line.
richard Hargravess, Jos Kimball30 January 1756Abraham cook, william cook
11-390Sher Haywood

173045Richard Harris25 March 1749400 AcresW side of Nut Bush
Creek, joining Norwoods line, Holm's line and sthe sd creekJohn
thornton, Dan weldon8 Dec 1748William Norwood, Luke Waldrop
11-396Dan Weldon
170142Robert Harris3 August 1759292 Acres parish of St John
on both sides of Fishing CreekW Churton, Willm Reed12 February 1756
Sherwood Harris, John HarrisWher Haywood***Plat reads
Surveyed for Matthew Mckinne

164637Robert Harris11 March 1760310 Acres parish of st john
on the N side of Stone House Creek, joining the Nicholson corner
Julius Nichols, Will Johnson20 April 1752West Harris, Charles Harris
11-378Dan Weldon

166138Robert Harris27 April 1753488 acres both sides of
Little Fishing Creek, joining Persons cornerJno Haywood, Chas Young20
April 1752West Harris, Charles Harris11-381Dan Weldon

167439Robert Harris25 July 1761335 Acres S side of Tar
River, joining Harris's line, Hamptons line and the meander of the sd river
Richd Henderson, Thos Lowe28 May 1761william Oglebey, George Hide
11-384Thos Person

167339Robert Harris25 July 1761700 acres Parish of St John
on Nichols Creek, joining Captain Hampton and Harriss lineW Churton,
Jos Barbe4 august 1759David Cosart, Nicholas Holstein11-384
blank* Plat read land lying on Nicholas Creek

172744Sherwood Harris28 Novemeber 1760525 acres in Parish
of St John on bothe sides of Fishing Creek joining Harris's lineWill
Hurst, Lewis Bobo6 May 1760thos Bradford,Robert Poe
11-396Thos Person

164937Shurwood Harris27 July 1761684 acres on both sides of
Fishing Creek, joining Bentons corner, Wilsons line, Headspaths line,
Harris's line and Arnolds line.Thomas Lowe, Thos Conti29 May 1761Thos
Bradford, Shuwd Harris11-379thos Person

163736West Harris27 April 1753180 acres S side of Great
Branch, joining Dainiel Harris and the sd branchJohn Haywood,
William Barnes25 September 1751Michael Harris, Robert Harris
11-p376Dan Weldon