HARRIS-NC-L Archives

Archiver > HARRIS-NC > 2008-04 > 1209306150

Subject: Re: [HARRIS-NC] Lewis Harris - Surry County, NC
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:22:30 -0400

Sheri,

It may be merely coincidence, but the names appear in earlier generations in VA.? Hopefully there may be some clues for you here.? Matt

<http://www.usgwarchives.org/va/isleofwight/iowwills.htm>;
Wills: Edward HARRIS, Sr., 1739:
Isle of Wight Co., VA, Wills and Accounts Vol. 4 (1733-1745), pp. 293-94
abstracted by Matt HARRIS [brackets & surname capitalization mine]

[p] 293

In the Name of God Amen? I Edward HARRIS of the Isle of Wight County in Virginia being Sick & weak in Body but in Perfect Sence and Memory all Praise be Given to God, therefore Do make Ordain Constitute Appoint this my Last Will & Testament in manner and form as followeth that is to say first and Principally and far above all Worldly Things and injoyments, I Commit my Soul to God the Ffather of Sperits Trusting and firmly believing through the Merits & Bitter Passions of his Son & my Soul Saviour Jesus Christ to Receive full Pardon for my Sins when Ever this Mortall Life shall Cease? I Commit my Body to the Earth from whence it was taken to be Decently Entered after the manner of Christian Burial at the Discretion of my Ex'tor & Ex'trix hereafter Named and as for what Worldly Estate it hath Pleased God to Possess me with after my Debts and funerall Charges are Defrayed I Give and Bequeath as followeth-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Son Edward HARRIS and his Heirs one Tract and Parcell of Land being on the North side of Blackwater River by Estimation 240 acres and also one Tract by Estimation 140 lying on a branch Called Plowman-
[Thomas HARRIS pat'd a 240a. tract 27 Apr 1686 (PB7:511); the acquisition of the 140a. tract is unaccounted for]
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my son Lewis HARRIS his Heirs one Tract or Parcell of Land lying on the south side the Three Creeks which I Purch:d of John DORTCH-
[145a., actually purchased from William GRAY (IoW DB5:324; 14 Oct 1738)]
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my sons Joel HARRIS & Amos HARRIS a Parcel of Land by Estimation 520 Acres of Land Equally Devided between the Two Brothers, Joel to have the upper part and I do Desier and appoint Owin MIRICK and Timothy THARPE to Devide the same to the best of their Judgement that both may have the liberty of the Creek-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Son Hardy HARRIS the Plantation whereon I now live to him and his Heirs and the Still that on [sic] plantation-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Son Edward HARRIS and his Heirs one Neg:r Man Called London as also a Gun and my black Horse Called Cole A Bed & furniture, six Cows & Calv's, four sows & piggs, and that to be a full part of my Estate.
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Son Lewis HARRIS one Negro Wench Called Rose when he comes to the years of Twenty one as also a Gun, a Bed & furniture Six
Cows [page break]

[p] 294

Six Cows Calves Six Sows 4 and Piggs that to be his Part-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my son Joel HARRIS one Negro Wench Called Cate to him and his Heirs when he Comes to the age of Twenty one as also a Gun
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Son Amos a Negro Boy Called George to him and his Heirs and a Gun-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Son Hardy HARRIS a Negro Girl Called Juno-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Mary HARRIS, as also I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Ann HARRIS all the increase of my two Negro Wenches Called Rose and Cate tell Lewis & Joel HARRIS Come of Age, Equally to be Devided between the Two Sisters to them and their heirs
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Loving Wife a Negro ffellow Called Peter and a Negro Girl Called Jeney-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Son Joel fifteen Pounds Credit-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Son Amos fifteen Pounds Credit-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my son Hardy fifteen pounds Credit-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Mary fifteen pounds Credit-
Item? I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Ann fifteen Pounds Credit-
Item? I Give and Bequeath the Remainder Part of my Estate what kind soever to my Loving Wife.? I Do Constitute and Appoint my Loving Wife and my Son Edward HARRIS to by [sic] my Ex'tor and Ex'trix of this my Last Will and Testament this 26:th of August 1739-
Witness Nath:ll RIDLEY}
Timothy THARP???????? }

???? At a Court held for Isle of Wight County Sept. 22:d 1740-
The last Will and Testament of Edward HARRIS Dece'd was presented in Court by Mary HARRIS one of the Ex'tors therein named who made oath thereto and being Proved by the oaths of the Witnesses thereto is Admitted to Record-
?????????????????????????? Truly Recorded? Teste? Ja:s BAKER? ClCur

son Joel (I) had ch: Joel (II), Hamlin, Howell, Randolph, John, Olive, Lucy, Sally, Sukey & Lewis (d. unmarried & intestate)

Joel (II) had ch: Gideon, Polly, Priscilla, Joel (III), Howell, Henry, James & Sally.