HARRIS-VA-L ArchivesArchiver > HARRIS-VA > 2004-02 > 1076536760
From: "Bev Harris" <>
Subject: [HARRIS-VA] Identification of Elijah Harris in Early Patrick Co., VA
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:05:24 -0600
In my post on this List two days ago, I mentioned an Isaiah Harris, as the father of Joseph Harris--whose name appeared on the 1790 personal tax list of Henry Co., Part B, that was to include Patrick Co. in 1791. According to Marriages of Patrick Co. Virginia 1791-1850, Joseph Harris had married Nancy Morefield, and an Elijah Harris was listed as his father. This marriage was performed on Dec 9, 1824 or Dec 9, 1834 in Patrick Co., but the general consensus is that the earlier date is correct---the official listing shows 1834, but the officiating minister wrote 1824. I have found two possibilities for the identity of this Elijah Harris, father of Joseph Harris, and these two men were probably first cousins.
1. Sherod Harris' Will that was probated in May of 1814, includes an Elijah as one of his twelve sons. See Will of Sherod Harris, Patrick County Court, Virginia, Will Book 1, p. 129, published April 1825. This Elijah Harris married Levinah (sic) Terry, daughter of Mary Terry, in Patrick Co., VA on Oct 3, 1816, according to the Marriages of Patrick County Virginia 1791-1850, p. 54 (Remember that Sherod Harris was a son of William Harris and Judith [Hudson] Harris.)
2. Deed Book 3, p. 20 of the County Court, Patrick Co., VA shows: Deed of Gift, William Harris to Elijah Harris, 1807. The deed explicitly states that this Elijah Harris, the grantee, was the son of grantor, William Harris.
So, this William Harris had a son named Elijah, as did Sherod Harris.
Sherod Harris had an older brother named William, and I believe that this above-mentioned William Harris was that brother. Sherod Harris died in 1814, so naturally he was not the Surety at the wedding of a James Harris, his son, when he married Nancy Craddock on Feb 23, 1826 in Patrick Co., VA. Instead, the Surety was a David Cruise. Sherod's James was also listed in that above-mentioned Will.
The name, James Harris, is listed at least three other times in the Marriages of Patrick Co., Virginia 1791-1850. It is not known if one James Harris was married four times, or what. However, three out of the four times I found "James Harris" mentioned in the marriage records, he seems to tie-in with these two supposed brothers, Sherod and William Harris. See the following train of thought.
1. James Harris (son of Sherod Harris) married Nancy Craddock on Feb 23, 1826. Surety: David Cruise. (Some say that this James Harris was a son of an Elijah Harris, and a grandson of Samuel Harris and Martha (Hylton) Harris. This Samuel Harris was a brother of my ggg grandfather, Reuben Harris, who married Margaret McAlexander. Excellent research by the late famous lady researcher of the Harris-McAlexander line named Mary B. B. Crouch agrees with my conclusion that this James, who married Nancy Craddock, was a son of Sherod Harris.)
2. James Harris married Polly Cole on March 3, 1843. Surety: Joseph Harris, mentioned above. (Maybe Joseph Harris had a James, too.)
3. James Harris married Elizabeth Blendia (sic) Terry on Nov 15, 1846, daughter of Henry S. Terry. Surety: William Harris
Mary Ann (Baldwin) Terry and Henry Terry were husband and wife at one time, according to Virginia Marriages Before 1800. Therefore, the above-mentioned Levinah (sic) Terry and Elizabeth Blendia (sic) Terry were undoubtedly sisters, if there were not more than one Mary and Henry Terry. The records show that the pair that I found, Mary Ann Baldwin and Henry Terry, were married on Sept 12, 1785 in Prince Edward Co., VA.
Hopefully, some day it can be shown that my line of Harris' descending from William and Sarah (Steele) Harris, my gggg grandparents, are somehow related to the line descending from William and Judith (Hudson) Harris, both of whom had descendants in Patrick Co., VA..
The above arguments are the best proof that I can come-up with for Elijah Harris, with the limited records that I have at my disposal.
(Mr.) Bev Harris