HART-L Archives

Archiver > HART > 2007-07 > 1185847809

From: "Cathy Straley" <>
Subject: Re: [HART] Henry Hart died before 3 July 1648 Charles City County,Virginia
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:10:09 -0500

I descend from the Barham and Ridley families that intermarried with your
specific Harts in VA. My research shows that your early ancestor Henry Hart
was born in England about 1610 and emigrated to Virginia about 1637 with his
wife Rebecca and son Thomas Hart. They patented land in James City VA
adjacent to property owned by Thomas Rolfe (son of John Rolfe and
Pocahontas).

About 1660 in Surry County VA, your Anne Sheppard (born 1645 at Jamestown VA
as daughter of Major Robert Sheppard) married Thomas Hart (born about
1630-1637). They had 3 sons: Henry (born 1662), Thomas Jr. (born 1665), and
Robert Hart (born 1666).

Robert Hart (born 1666, died 1720 VA) married in 1699 in Surry County VA to
Priscilla Barham (born about 1669 VA). Robert Hart is listed with 600 acres
in the 1704 Surry County VA Rent Rolls, and another record shows him granted
1000 acres in Surry County (probably inherited from his grandfather Major
Robert Sheppard). Robert also purchased 729 acres in 1705 from his brother
Henry. Robert's will in 1720 provided his eldest son William with a
plantation on Blackwater Swamp and the request for William to rear his young
brother Thomas, who received two plantations. Robert Hart's son Robert Jr.
also received a plantation in Isle of Wight County.

Robert and Priscilla Hart had had 8 children: William (born about 1696-1702;
died 1744 Surry County VA), Robert Jr., Anne, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary,
Priscilla and Thomas. They also were guardians for their nephew Robert
Barham in 1694 after his parents died (Robert Barham's parents were
Elizabeth Ridley and Capt. Charles Barham, so you see an early Ridley-Hart
connection). Captain Charles Barham had emigrated to Virginia from
Boughton-Montchelsea in Kent County, England, about 1654.

More on Ridleys: The father of Elizabeth Ridley Barham (born c.1667, died
1694) is believed to be Peter Ridley of James City VA. Elizabeth's husband
Charles Barham also served as executor of the 1671 will of William Ridley of
Isle of Wight VA.

Thomas Hart died in 1669 in Surry County VA, and Capt. Charles Barham served
as security for settlement for his estate. Thomas Hart's widow Anne Sheppard
Hart married again about 1671 to William Newsom, and they had 6 children.
After William Newsom died in 1691, Anne married George Foster in 1693. (Note
that there were Coxes also married into these Fosters and Harts that are of
particular interest to me as part of my Cox family line research! Please
help if anyone has Cox info.)

You show 'Champion' as part of Priscilla Barham Hart's name, and I would
like to know more about this connection, as I am unfamiliar with this
'Champion'.

Please email me separately [] with comments and info,
and I will be glad to share other info.

Cathy Straley
McKinney, TX

This thread: