HASTINGS-L Archives

Archiver > HASTINGS > 2000-06 > 0960775899

From: "Joyce McManus" <>
Subject: Re: [HASTINGS-L] Haisten Book
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:11:39 -0400

Ruth,
The following is my husband's Hasting line. It is spelled with no s on
the end, however, in a couple of cemeteries here, you find both spellings,
all are related, bother, sister, parent, child, grandparent, cousin, aunt,
uncle.
When I started into genealogy in 1993, we already were aware of my
husband's gg granddaddy "Bobby"
Hasting, born 1812, Kirksey Twnshp, Edgefield Dist., SC, died 1912, at home
place just off the "Old Edgefield Rd, at present day Sandridge, Greenwood
Co. (Address Ninety Six), SC. This part of Edgefield Dist became Greenwood
County in 1898.
In searching the censuses of Edgefield I found another Robert Hasting
on the 1790 census of Kirksey Twnshp. This appears to be his father and
there were other children which I have not been able to find on later
censuses. Even Robert is not on everyone. I sure would like to know form
where they came to SC! I do not have the slightest hint. Do you by chance
have a Robert or James Robert Hasting before 1790 in your database?
Bobby was married twice that I know of. There is conflicting
information on the name of his first wife. I have information he married
Maggie Goldman and she was the mother of his first 8/10 children. Some say
he was married to an Ellenburg first. His second wife was Martha Goldman,
supposely cousin of his first wife Maggie. He and Maggie had a daughter
named Martha, also. He had another 7/9 children with Martha.
The amazing thing about this man is he accumulated approximately 5,000
acres of land and supposedly had lots of money. It is said when he got his
first job at Mark Johnson's store in Kirksey, at the end of the first year
he still had $100 of the $110 he had made. When he died, he had stock in
Greenwood Mills, money in the bank, and cash in two kegs under his bed.
Supposedly he had his money in the bank, but someone informed him the bank
was using his money without paying him interest, so he traveled to the bank
and removed his money which upset the bank owner because it was a huge
amount. I suppose that is when he put it in the kegs. Most people thought
he was poor and didn't know about this money. I do not know how they
thought he was poor with the number of acres of land he acquired.
His will doesn't mention anything about his land, so he had evidently
split it between his 17 children before his death. We can verify the
acreage by the number of acres my husband's g grandfather received
multiplied by 17. We feel the money was lost by the children having it in
the bank at the time of the depression. We are told by one g granddaughter
there is an old cotton gin in the Smithsonian Institute which was originally
his, but the man who had inherited it down thru the years is given credit as
the owner.
Just recently I heard a story about my husband's g grandfather, Wilson
Hasting. He had two daughter-in-laws who kept after him to build them a new
house. One day, they decided to put up a road block (themselves) to keep
Wilson from going to work on his property where he was cutting trees for
lumber. When he drove his wagon that direction, they started waving their
aprons, scaring the horses, and they stopped; so he turned them around and
headed back home. His daughter Nancy had married William (Billy) Joseph
McManus, who was quite a character of an upstanding well thought of
gentleman, always ready to do the right thing. He told Billy he didn't know
what he was going to do since his daughters-in-law wouldn't allow him to go
cut his timber. Well, BIlly told him he would go back with him and see that
these young ladies removed themselves. When they arrived, he politely
called their husbands and said "take care of your wives at once, so your
Daddy can cut his timber." They did so at once and everything was okay
after that!
Thanks for any help. Thought everyone may enjoy the above!
Joye