HATCHER-L Archives

Archiver > HATCHER > 2008-09 > 1220715384

From: "Robert Hatcher" <>
Subject: Re: [HATCHER] James E. Hatcher, ALA, wife Anne E. c 1812
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 10:33:17 -0600

The son James E. Hatcher was the son of James Hatcher of Dallas Co. I donot
know why James died but he left the slaves to his wife.According to Nel, he
was the descendent of Thomas and Wilmouth/ I still have him listed as a son
of Robert Hatcher.

Descendants of James E. Hatcher

Generation No. 1

1. James E.6 Hatcher (James5, Robert4, Jeremiah3, Benjamin Sr.2, William1)
was born 1816, and died in Dallas Co.Alabama. He married Ann E. Unknown 1836
in Dallas Co.Alabama. She was born Abt. 1815 in Dallas Co.Alabama, and died
1844 in Dallas Co. Alabama.

Notes for James E. Hatcher:

Thomas G. Rainer was the guardian. James E. was born in 1816 so the date of
1812 could not be correct The date was more likely 1842.

In 1842 James E. Hatcher executed a deed of gift for certain slaves to his
wife, Anne E. Hatcher. The clerk of the county court recorded the deed. Mrs.
Hatcher died in 1844, but left two sons. Following her husband's death, the
sons sued his executor, Allen Clifton, to recover damages for conversion of
the slaves. The lower court ruled in favor of Clifton because in 1812
recording of such a deed was not among the official duties of the clerk of
the court. Furthermore, the original deed did not exist, only a copy. On
appeal, Judge Stone agreed. Hatcher v Clifton, 35 Alabama 275 (1859).

Notes for Ann E. Unknown:

Court Case HatcherVS Clifton, June Term 1859 statement is made that her
death occured in 1844.Buried in Hatcher Cemetery , Hatcher Bluff, Dallas Co.
Alabama. Headstone reads: Beneath this tomb in Peaceful Sleep her Mortal
Body lies,surviving friends,forbears to weep for virtue never dies.

Children of James Hatcher and Ann Unknown are:

2 i. William Henry7 Hatcher, born 1837 in Dallas Co.Alabama.

Notes for William Henry Hatcher:

William Henry Hatcher ,name # 72 Cahaba Rifles C.S.A. Enlisted April 10,
1861 at Cahaba, by Capt. C.C. Pegues, for one year.; wounded in battleMay
31st., 1862 at Seven Pines, Va.; captured at South Mountain September
14th,promotedfirst corporal May 1,1863 ; captured at Chancellor's ville May
3rd., 1863. Grandson of Martha Tate and James Hatcher, son of James E.and
Ann E. Hatcher

3 ii. James A. Hatcher, born Bef. 1842 in Dallas Co. Alabama.

Notes for James A. Hatcher:

Cahaba Rifles , Dallas County, Alabama ,Name # 73 James Hatcher,enlisted
C.S.A. April 10, 1861 at Cahaba,by Captain C. C. Pegues,for one year,
discharged October29 for disability.