HAWAII-L Archives

Archiver > HAWAII > 2006-09 > 1157135511

From: (Franklin Lea)
Subject: Re: [HAWAII] Roll Call
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:31:51 -0700

Lynette,
Joao Ferreira dos Santos( also John F.)
was found on the passenger manifest for the ship " City of Paris"
arriving Hawaii 13 June 1884. He died 7Apr 1915 and is buried in St
Ann's Cemetery, waihee, Maui. Listed as Passenger #2635, aged 40 annos,
accompanied by "Casado comm Maria Carlota 40 Ans - fihlos Antonio 12,
Augusta 6, Joaquin 4 Annos"
Passenger List came from the Portuguese Genealogical Society of Hawaii
by a Volunteer when I was searching for what ship Joaquin Ferreira
Santos came to Hawaii aboard. Joaquin was my wife's paternal
Grandfather. John F. Santos, wife Maria and son Joaquin appear on the
1900 Census, Sheet 16, Wailuku, Maui, living next to son Antone and his
family. This Census indicates John F. Santos and family arrived in
Hawaii in 1884 and were born in Portugal. Have not been able to
determine Maria Carlota's maiden name. That's based on my assumption
that Carlota is a middle name plus noting that a large percentage of the
wives used their maiden name as a middle name. I have found a great deal
of inconsistencies in the early Portugues immigrants spelling and use of
middle names. It certainly adds to the identity challenge.
If you think there might be a connection, I'll be happy to share
copies of any back up documentation that I have.
Thanks for responding.
Frank
PS
I have also found instances of transposing middle name and surname. Gets
real confusing.

This thread: