HAWAII-L Archives

Archiver > HAWAII > 2010-08 > 1280834233

From: Dallyn Duggan <>
Subject: Re: [HAWAII] Hawaii - Malay Connection?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 07:17:13 -0400

Early Hawaiian census records also use the race designation "Malay" for
Polynesian and sometimes Asian races. For example, in one family I have
a Hawaiian and a hapa haole Tahitian, both designated as Malay. I
suppose it seems odd but someday I think it will seem odd to future
generations that we used the terms black and white.