HAWKINS-L Archives

Archiver > HAWKINS > 2003-05 > 1052580786

From: "JaSEn" <>
Subject: [HAWKINS] Re: Green Hawkins
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 10:33:06 -0500

This following indicates that more research needs to be done on the
Estill,Co, KY Hawkins line, which includes the notorious John W. Hawkins -
supposed father of 37 children. (by two wives simultaneously)

1900 census Owen Twp., Jackson Co.,IN
Dwelling/264 Family/269 is found:

Mathews, Benjamin, age 44, hh,w,m,Aug 1845 m:12yrs, b:IN, Fa-b:NC, mo-b:NC
Mathews, Sarah, age 55, wife, w,f,Jan 1846,m:12yr, b:KY, fa-b:KY, mo-b:Unk
Curry, Edward, age 19,step-son,w,m,Feb 1880. b:IN, fa-b:IN, mo-b:KY
Hawkins, Flossie, age 6, niece,w,f,May 1894, b:IN, father b:IN, mother b:IN
Hawkins, Green B., age 51, boarder(?), w,m,July 1848,Div,b:KY, fa-b:KY,
mo-b:KY

My gr-gr-grandfather Henry Hawkins b: 11 Sep 1820 in KY is found in his
son's household next door in Dwelling 263.
Henry's death certificate gives his father as a Thomas HAWKINS, mother
unknown.

1850 census of Estill Co.,KY
Dwelling 817
HAWKINS, Thomas - age 62,m,Shoemaker,b:NC (ca 1788)
HAWKINS, Sally - age 62, b:VA

There is speculation that this Thomas was an uncle of John W. Hawkins. If
that is correct and he is also the father of my Henry, then that would
explain why Green is found, temporarily, in Jackson Co.,IN.

Also from the booklet Noose & Chair, the following is written by G.B.
Hawkins, as he comments on the hanging of Edward Hawkins, son of John W.
Hawkins: (make special note of the birthdate of G.B. Hawkins)

"I was born July 29, 1848*: I am the only child out of 37 living. I am the
youngest son of John W. Hawkins and Polly Smith Hawkins, his second wife. I
am the youngest of 15 children born to this union. My father's first wife
was a Miss Barnes; to the first union 22 children were born. My father owned
a farm on Woodward's creek, in Estill county,KY. His two wives lived at the
same time on this farm with their respective children, about a quarter of a
mile apart. Perfect harmony existed between the two"

WHEW !!

Janet (Hawkins) Endris