HEFFLEY-L Archives

Archiver > HEFFLEY > 2007-08 > 1186091769

From: "" <>
Subject: Michael HEFFLEY Killed in 1988 TX
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 21:56:09 -0000

Author: Obits101
Surnames: Heffley
Classification: death

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.heffley/102/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

...from The Oklahoman Newspaer archives in Oklahoma City, OK, dated:

11-30-1988

2 Arrested In Attack On Rafters

Texas authorities on Tuesday arrested two teenagers
in connection with the sniper attack on three
people who were white-water rafting down the
Rio Grande on Nov.19.

Michael Heffley, 40, of Eastland, Texas, was killed by
a rifle shot in the back when he tried to drag his
wounded wife to safety. Jamie Heffley, 32, suffered gunshot
wounds to the side and shoulder. River guide Jim Barr
was shot in the right thigh.

Heffley worked for Oklahoma based Big State X-Ray.

Wade Penn, a longtime friend of the Heffley's and
owner of Big State in Chickasha, told the Oklahoman
late Tuesday he was glad to hear authorities had
made the two arrests. Texas authorities said they expect to
make two more arrests in the ambush.

"I want 'em all. This is senseless... I'm tickled
to death they caught two of 'em. It's the best news
I've had since it happened," he said.

Eduardo Pineda Rodriguez, 17, was arrested Tuesday morning
at this parents' home east of the Big Bend village of
Redford, said Presidio County Sheriff Rick Thompson. A
16-year-old, whose name was being withheld, was arrested by
Chihuahua state judicial police in Ojinaga, Mexico.

Pineda, a Mexican citizen who is a resident alien of the
United States, also was arrested in connection with the shootings
of Jamie Heffley and Barr.

Penn said he believes the teenagers, if convicted, should receive
the death penalty.

"It's an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. When I was 16 and
17, I was old enough to know right from wrong, especially murder.
There should be no mercy for them if they're the right people," Penn
said. "Murder is senseless. There's no reason for it."

Jamie Heffley agreed that her assailants should receive the
death sentence for the attack.

"I'm glad about the news, but I think there are two more out there,"
she said. "From what I understand, I remember that I had seen four.

"I'm glad that they are being caught and I think this...should be made
a public example. I think they should be executed, because if they
are not, relations will bever get better across the border. Nobody
should have to go through this kind of torture,"she said.

Authorities said the trio was rafting down the Rio Grande about 20 miles
east of Redford when shots were fired on them from a 300-foot-high canyon
rim on the river's Mexican side. Police said the gunmen apparently opened
fire without reason.

Authorities believe between 20 and 30 shots were fired at the rafters.

"We have no motive for the shootings." Thompson said, adding that both
teenagers gave statements implicating each other.

*one of the other 3 snipers were: Julio Cesar Hernandez Valenzuela, 16.
*Eduardo Rodriguez Pineda received 30 years.

***posted for genealogical purposes only; no relation***

Important Note: