HENRY-L Archives

Archiver > HENRY > 2010-03 > 1269448226

Subject: Re: [HENRY] Patrick Henry's brother William Henry m. Mary Burton
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:31:50 EDT

Hi Judy,

Thanks so much for this information regarding William Henry and Polly
Burton. Please tell me was this William Henry also named William Alexander
Henry? Or, was William Alexander Henry of another line?

All that I know is that our William A. Henry b. 27 Jul 1804 Botetourt Co.
was the son of William b. about 1780 and the grandson of William Henry b.
30 Sep 1754. This William Henry's birth date has been placed with several
William Henrys and one I think was noted as a William Alexander Henry.

I do believe between the Revolutionary Pension stating that our William
Henry first enlisted in Lancaster PA and then secondly when his son Stephen
Henry notes Father born PA in the 1880 Roanoke VA Census, pretty well sums it
up that our William Henry was born 30 Sep 1754 PA.

Sure wish our Williams had been called Petula instead. Then the first son
of our William A. Henry b. 1804 naturally was named William A. Henry too.
Sadly this one was killed in the Civil War.

It truly is mindboggling at the number of William Henrys out there.

Carolyn

Hi, Carolyn,

Here is information about William provided previously by Edith Poindexter:

1. William Henry born in Hanover County in 1734 married Mary (Polly)
Burton
in Fluvanna County 6 May 1779. In 1768, John Henry gave William 723
acres
of land in Fluvanna county "near the mouth of Hardware Creek where he
died,"
according to his brother-in-law Samuel Meredith. He was one of the first
justices in the new county of Fluvanna in 1777. He became Sheriff of
Fluvanna in 1781. William died in Fluvanna County in January 1785. They
had
one child, a daughter, who died shortly after so there were no
descendants.
Mary married Benjamin Rice of Bedford County in 1790. Patrick Henry was
the
administrator of William's estate after Mary refused to do it. There are
claims on the internet that he married Alice Taylor first, but I have
never
been able to find any record of it. (Read Samuel Meredith's statement in
THE
TRUE PATRICK HENRY by George Morgan, page 434.)

There is a grave marked for William at Winton in Amherst County, VA, the
home of Jane and Samuel Meredith. It was marked over a hundred years
after
his death, on the word of a lady who said her grandmother pointed the
grave
out to her when she was a child. The Fluvanna Historical Society claims
have found in grave in Fluvanna. They say that had he been buried at
Winton, Samuel Meredith would have said so. I found records of the
Masonic
Lodge in Lynchburg, who marched from Lynchburg to Winton for the funeral
of
Patrick Henry's son Edward (Neddy) and I firmly believe that the grave
marked for William is actually the grave of Neddy.

Judy Henry