HERBARZ-L Archives

Archiver > HERBARZ > 2003-08 > 1060753905

From: "David Zincavage" <>
Subject: Re: herb Kosciesza
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:51:45 -0700

Zernicki's account:

These arms were conferred by King Boleslaw the Bold upon the Knight
Kosciesza who distinguished himself in the battle of Snowsk in 1072. The
king saw him lying sorely wounded, with a cleft arrow in his belly, and a
broken sword in his hand. He bestowed on him the charge of the same split
arrow crossed by the same broken sword, and named it for the same Kosciesza.

Dobieslaw Kosciesza, because of its gloomy appearance, named his estate in
the Palatinate of Sandomierz Strzegomia. The arms in this region were
probably also called Strzegomia. the original homeland of these arms was
probably Great Poland, where Koscieszki and Kruszwic and Koscieszyn are to
be found near Miedzyrzecz [Meseritz]. Later the clan spread to Silesia,
where they were involved in 1143 in the murder of Bishop Magnus of Breslau.