HESSE-L Archives

Archiver > HESSE > 2001-01 > 0979236613

From: (Larry Flinner, Jr.)
Subject: Re: [HS] Johann vs Johannes
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:10:13 -0500 (EST)

Hello Heinz and David,
I will state a couple of my experiences and perhaps you can explain:

1) I have come across the name Johannes many times, never followed by a
second or third name [e.g. middle or call name(s)]. This person would
have been known as "Johannes"

2) I have found many by the name "Johann" almost always (if not always)
followed by a second or "call" name. For example, "Johann Georg" was
known locally as "Georg", "Johann Georg Friedrich" was known locally as
"Georg Friedrich" or as "Friedrich".

3) I think both "Johann" and "Johannes" can be shortened to "Hans,
Hanss, or Hannes". For example Johannes FUCHS is also shown as "Hanss
FUCHS". "Johann Heinrich FLINNER" is also listed as "Hanss or Hans
Heinrich FLINNER and as "Heinrich FLINNER".

Perhaps there were traditions attributed to differing geographical
locations, and / or perhaps the naming practice has evolved over
time.(???) Perhaps techincally there is no difference?

The above examples come from the villages along the Hessen -
Unterfranken border in the timeframe ca. 1700-1880. In Hessen:
Sterbfritz, Neuengronau, Altengronau, Hohenzell. In Unterfranken: Platz
& Geroda, Dittlofsroda, Detter.

Larry