HIGGINBOTHAM-L Archives

Archiver > HIGGINBOTHAM > 2000-06 > 0961602630


From: Josephine Lindsay Bass <>
Subject: Barbados Island Info
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:50:30 -0400
In-Reply-To: <200006081754.KAA11332@pml.rootsweb.com>



>
>Source:
>Subject: McGlaughon-L-Barbados
>
>
> <A
> HREF="http://www.primenet.com/~langford/places/bi163.htm#Barbados">America
>n Plantations and Colonies - Barbados Island, 1630-1639</A>
>
>http://www.primenet.com/~langford/places/bi163.htm#Barbados
>
>American Plantations and Colonies
>
>
>Barbados Island, 1630-1639
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>
>Barbados Island Ships & Passengers
>For other Carribean Islands, see Settlements: Caribbean Islands
>
>1633/4 Barbados
>January 3, 1633/4 The Ark and the Dove bound from London for Maryland arrived
>at Barbados to obtain supplies. This was the date of the "servants'
>conspiracy". See Ship & Passenger Information
>
>1635 Barbados
>January, 1634/5 The Bonaventure departed London for Virginia, St.
>Christophers, and Barbados. See Ship & Passenger Information
>February 17, 1634/5 The Hopewell departed London for Barbados. See Ship &
>Passenger Information
>April, 1635 The Peter Bonaventure departed London for Barbados and St.
>Christopher. See Ship & Passenger Information
>April, 1635 The Falcon departed London for Barbados. See Ship & Passenger
>Information
>April or May, 1635 The Ann & Elizabeth departed London for Barbados and St.
>Christopher. See Ship & Passenger Information
>May, 1635 The Alexander departed London for Barbados. See Ship & Passenger
>Information
>November, 1635 The Expedition departed London for Barbados. See Ship &
>Passenger Information
>December, 1635 The Falcon departed London for Barbados. See Ship & Passenger
>Information
>
>Continue at Barbados, 1650-1659
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>
>Top
>Family Genealogy - - - Settlements - - - Ship Index
>- - - Home Page - - -
>
>
>Last revised 6/19/98
>FORMAT, TEXT, and INDEXING Copyright © 1997, 1998 Thomas Langford.
>BASIC DATA CONTAINED HEREIN is, however, Public Domain.
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>
>Thomas Langford
>19225 N. Cave Creek Road # 8
>Phoenix, Arizona 85024-2418
>
>(602)569-5182
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>---------------------------------------- <A
>HREF="http://www.primenet.com/~langford/places/bi163.htm#Barbados">American
>Plantations and Colonies - Barbados Island, 1630-1639</A>
>
>http://www.primenet.com/~langford/places/bi163.htm#Barbados
>
>Barbados Island, 1630-1639
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>
>Barbados Island Ships & Passengers
>For other Carribean Islands, see Settlements: Caribbean Islands
>
>1633/4 Barbados
>January 3, 1633/4 The Ark and the Dove bound from London for Maryland arrived
>at Barbados to obtain supplies. This was the date of the "servants'
>conspiracy". See Ship & Passenger Information
>
>1635 Barbados
>January, 1634/5 The Bonaventure departed London for Virginia, St.
>Christophers, and Barbados. See Ship & Passenger Information
>February 17, 1634/5 The Hopewell departed London for Barbados. See Ship &
>Passenger Information
>April, 1635 The Peter Bonaventure departed London for Barbados and St.
>Christopher. See Ship & Passenger Information
>April, 1635 The Falcon departed London for Barbados. See Ship & Passenger
>Information
>April or May, 1635 The Ann & Elizabeth departed London for Barbados and St.
>Christopher. See Ship & Passenger Information
>May, 1635 The Alexander departed London for Barbados. See Ship & Passenger
>Information
>November, 1635 The Expedition departed London for Barbados. See Ship &
>Passenger Information
>December, 1635 The Falcon departed London for Barbados. See Ship & Passenger
>Information
>
>Continue at Barbados, 1650-1659
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>
>Top
>Family Genealogy - - - Settlements - - - Ship Index
>- - - Home Page - - -
>
>
>Last revised 6/19/98
>FORMAT, TEXT, and INDEXING Copyright © 1997, 1998 Thomas Langford.
>BASIC DATA CONTAINED HEREIN is, however, Public Domain.
>
>
>==========================================================
>
>1633/4 Barbados
>January 3, 1633/4 The Ark and the Dove bound from London for Maryland arrived
>at Barbados to obtain supplies. This was the date of the "servants'
>conspiracy". See Ship & Passenger Information
>
> <A HREF="http://www.primenet.com/~langford/spls/634md001.htm#Ark">American
>Plantations and Colonies - The ships "Ark" & "Dove", 1633</A>
>
>http://www.primenet.com/~langford/spls/634md001.htm#Ark
>
>The Ark and the Dove
>
>Voyages of the Ark are listed at ship name on Ship List "A"
>Voyages of the Dove are listed at ship name on Ship List "D"
>
>October, 1633 The Ark and the Dove departed London for Maryland by way of
>Barbados, St. Christopher, and Virginia.
>
>For the story of the voyages of these ships, see Voyage To Maryland
>
>Source: "Side-Lights on Maryland History" (Use browser "Bookmark" or "Back"
>to return to this page.)
>
>
>The first English planters to Maryland landed on St. Clement's Island March
>25, 1634 (New Year's Day, OS)
>
>The ship(s) returned to London in 1634, one month after arrival in Maryland
>
>Ship and Passenger Information:
>The Ark:
>Ship
>Burthen: 350 - 400 tons
>"...our master was a very sufficient seaman,
>and shipp as strong as could be,
>made of oake and iron; 400 tonne, King built;
>making faire weather in great stormes..."
>- from Leonard Calvert's letter to his brother, the Lord Baltimore
>
>The Ark carried a barge on board, for the use of the settlers.
>
>
>The Dove:
>Pinnace
>Burthen: 50 tons
>
>
>Crew of the Ark:
>Captain Richard Lowe, Master
>John Bowlter, purser
>Richard Edwards, Chirurgeon
>(About 40 total.)
>
>
>Crew of the Dove:
>Captain Wintour, Commander
>Richard Orchard, Master
>Samuel Lawson, Mate
>John Games, gunner
>Richard Kenton, Boatswain
>John Curke, crewmember
>Nicholas Perrie (or Parrie), crewmember
>
>
>Leaders of Expedition:
>Calvert, Leonard, Lieutenant-Governor (on the Ark)
>(representing his brother, Caecilius Calvert, the second Lord Baltimore)
>Calvert, George (another, younger brother of Lord Baltimore)
>Cornwallis, Thomas, Esq., Commissioner
>Hawley, Mr. Jerome, Commissioner
>
>
>Other Passengers:
>----, James [killed later at Mattaponi]
>----, Josias [drowned afterwards]
>Allen, Thomas
>Althem, Mr. John
>Andrews, William
>Ashmore, John
>Ashmore, William
>Barefoot, Mr. ----
> [died on the "Ark" enroute - Father White, Calvert Papers No. 35]
>Baxter, John [gentleman adventurer]
>Beane, Ralph
>Beckworth, Thomas
>Bonam, Anam
>Bradley, Richard
>Briscoe, Henry
>Browne, William
>Bryant, John
>Burrowes, Mathew
>Carnock, Christopher
>Charinton, Thomas
>Cole, Richard
>Cooper, Thomas
>Cox, Mrs. Ann
>Cranfield, Edward [gentleman adventurer]
>Dorrell, Thomas [gentleman adventurer]
>Draper, Peter
>Duke, Richard
>Edwards, Robert
>Edwin, William
>Edwyn, William
>Elkin, John
>Fairfax, Nicholas [gentleman adventurer]
> [died on the "Ark"]
>Ffitter, William
>Ffremonds, Lewis
>Gerard, Richard [son of Sir Thomas Gerard, Knight]
>Gervais, Thomas
>Gilbert, Richard
>Gore, Stephen
> Stephen Gore Descendant contact: email Carol Gore
>Green, Thomas
>Greene, Henry [gentleman adventurer]
>Gregson, Thomas
>Grigsta, Thomas
>Halfhead, John
>Hallowes, John
>Hays, (Father) Timothy
>Heath, Thomas
>Heckley, James
>Hervey, Nicholas
>Hill, Capt. John [gentleman adventurer]
>Hill, John
>Hillierd, John
>Hills, Richard
>Hodges, Benjamin
>Hodges, Thomas
>Holdern, John
>Hollis, John
>James, Henry
>Jennings, Mary
>Loe, Richard
>Lusthead, Richard
>Marlburgh, John
>Metcalf, John [gentleman adventurer]
> (John Medcalfe, in Caecilius Calvert's
> "Conditions of Plantations", written 1634)
>Middleton, Charles
>Mimus, Thomas
>Morgan, Roger
>Nevill, John
> John Nevill Descendant contact: email Jayne Voyen
>Nevill, Richard
>Pike, Robert
>Price, John [black]
>Price, John [white]
>Price, Lodowick
>Rabnett, Francis
>Robinson, John
>Rogers, Mr. ----
>Saire, William [gentleman adventurer]
>Sammon, Stephen
>Saunders, John [gentleman adventurer]
>Sherly, Robert
>Simpson, Robert
>Smith [lost by the way]
>Smith, Thomas
>Smith, William
>Smithson, Robert [a gentleman of quality, on the Ark]
>Statham, Thomas
>Thompson, Richard
>Thomson, John
>Thornton, James
>Tousa, Mathias [a mulatto]
>Walter, Roger
>Ward, John
>Watkins, Evan
>White, Rev. Andrew
>Wintour, Edward [son of Lady Anne Wintour]
>Wintour, Frederick [son of Lady Anne Wintour]
>Wiseman, Henry [son of Sir Thomas Wiseman]
>
>This list gives a total of 99, excluding the crews.
>
>Leonard Calvert's letter of May 30, 1634, he said that
>they stopped at Virginia to land some passengers there.
>Those were most likely from amongst the original passengers,
>although they could have taken passage from Barbados or
>St. Christophers.
>
>Additionally, a letter describing the Christmas celebration
>aboard the Ark stated that "30 sickened of fevers and
>whereof about a dozen died afterward."
>Another mentions "our mades, which we brought along",
>indicating that many of the number were household servants,
>most of whom the "London Searcher" would likely not have
>counted in his report of "about 128" settlers in the party.
>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>
>Top
>Family Genealogy - - - Settlements - - - Ship Index
>- - - Home Page - - -
>
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------
>
> <A HREF="http://www.primenet.com/~langford/ships/shp-a50.htm#Ark">American
>Plantations and Colonies - Ship Index, AN-AZ</A>
>
>http://www.primenet.com/~langford/ships/shp-a50.htm#Ark
>
>
>man I had to look away and now I am lost., later
>
>Vic
>
>
>
>Vicki McGlaun Culpepper
>McGlaughon Mail List Owner
>Proud Rootsweb Sponsor
>McGlauhon/McGlohon/McGlaughon/MeGlaehan/McGlawn/McGlawhorn/McGlaun,McGlaughn/


216 Beach Park Lane
Cape Canaveral, FL 32920-5003

Home of the *HARRISON* Repository
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~harrisonrep/
My Southern Family WWW:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mysouthernfamily/

LINDSAY & HARRISON Surnames & CSA-HISTORY Roots Mail List
GENCONNECT: http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/indx/FamAssoc.html

Data Managed by beautiful daughter Becky Bass Bonner and me, Josephine
Lindsay Bass


This thread: