HINKLE-L ArchivesArchiver > HINKLE > 2006-01 > 1136692946
Subject: Re: Pendleton County, West Virginia Hinkles
Date: 7 Jan 2006 21:02:26 -0700
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Surnames: HARPER, HINKLE
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
I know nothing more about the Harper's than below:
THE HENCKEL BULLETIN, Henckel Family Assoc.
p. 572 The information for the family of Col. Jesse Hinkle is incompleter and confused...I decided to tell the whole story. The Junkins spent much time trying to decide what to do, but since most of the time the children used the name Harper they did not include it. On p. 233 they quote part of a letter from H. M. Calhoun.
p. 578 copy of the entire letter to Miss Curry, the Henckel Historian dated 18 Jun 1929 from H. M. Calhoun who personally had seen Catharine Harper when on a visit to his grandfather who kept her after the death of Jesse Hinkle.
Co. Jesse Hinkle did marry on 27 Aug 1818, Charlotte Hively, dau of John and Susan (Woolwine) Hively, in Augusta Co, Va courthouse 20 May 1800, one child: Israel Hinkle b 28 June 1819 d 28 May 1861, md 10 Feb 1846 Amelia Fisher, b 7 Aug 1823, d 16 Feb 1853, bur Hinkle Cem, west of Oak Flat, WVA, 1 child, Henry Washington Hinkle b 19 Oct 1847 d 1925, ElDorado, KS.
1850 Census for Pendleton Co, on North Fork, Jesse Hinkle 67, Catharine Harper 63, Isaac Harper 22, idiot, Hannah Nelson 16. On South Fork Charlotte Hinkle 49.
Adam Harper was a brother to Catharine Harper common-law wife of Col. Jesse Hinkle. They were children of Philip Harper who died ca. 1831 in Pendleton County, and grandchildren of Philip Harper 26 Sep 1713-14 Feb. 1798.
Source: Feb. 1798 p.687
Children of 5-12-1 Jesse Hinkle and Catharine Harper (Junkin numbering, HENCKEL GENEALOGY)
see "History of Pendleton Co, West Virginia", by O. F. Morton (1910) under Harper, p. 219, (A copy is in the Peel House Museum library, Bentonville, AR) Br. of 5
1. Mary Harper b ca 1808 d aft 1870 Census m. 16 Mar 1829 fam records , md Adam Judy 1805-1871
2. Jesse Harper m. 14 Jan 1831, as Jesse Hinkle, to Elizabeth Pierce, to IA bef 1850
3. Susan Harper b ca 1813, d aft 1870 census m. ca 1830, Samuel K. nelson, b. ca 1811 d aft 1870 census, wife, Susan.
4. Rachel harper b ca 1818 m 16 nov 1837 Pendleton Co, WVA Wellington Holland b abt 1816
5. Phoebe Harper md 2 Jul 1835 Pendleton Co, WVA to Isaac W. Nelson, they moved to Ottumwa, IA bef 1850.
6. Philip Harper 1821-1889 md 7 Aug 1844 Pendleton Co, WVA
md Sarah Hinkle, 1832-1852. Pendleton Grave Register Vol. 1, p. 84, Catharine Harper is buried here, but Col. Jesse Hinkle is buried butler Cem in Roy Gap, behind Seneca Rocks, GR p. 69
7. Sarah Harper, b ca 1823 md 25 Feb 1841 Pendleton Co, WVA Adam Keller, b ca 1813, moved to Appanoose Co, IA in 1868.
8. Elizabeth Harper b ca 1825 md 17 Nov 1844, Pendleton Co, WVA Tobias Raines, 1820-1862
He was Lt. CSA, d. Johnson's Island, OH, bur Camp Chase, OH. 1860 Census Tobias Raines 41, mason, Elizabeth 38, Mary C. 18, Sally A. 16, Susan 14, Martin J. 12, Rachael 10, Phoebe E. 8, Christina 6, Sylvestor 4, George 2, a dau Virginia b 1860.
9. Adam Harper froze to death in 1846 according to Morton.
10. William Harper b ca 1829. He prob md 15 Jul 1852, Sarah L. Jordan who d bef 1860. 1860 Census Jesse Hinkle 80, Catharine Harper 70, Isaac Harper 30, Wm. Harper 31, Martin 8, Mary J. 4
11. Isaac Harper, b ca 1830, listed as idiot in 1850, prob d bef 1870 Census.