HODGES-L Archives

Archiver > HODGES > 1998-08 > 0902428950

From: LOWELL BROWN <>
Subject: Re: [HODGES-L] RE:NATIVE AMERICAN OR MELUNGEON ANCESTRY
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:42:30 -0700

The talk of Native American or Melungeon ancestry in my Hodges family
has turned out to be only talk. I am not sure why or how it started but
it semms to have been from dark hair and very dark brown eyes that
entered the family either through the Robertson line or the Ausbrooks
line. These are the two lines that were suspect as I recall
conversations among family members.

In extensive research of these lines I have traced, with great help from
Angus Robinson, the Robertson line back to Edinburg, Scotland and Erskin
Ausbrooks has traced our Ausbrooks/Osbrooks line back to England. I can
find no trace of Cherokee or any other Native American in any of our
connecting lines and there is none in my Hodges ancestry. An interesting
question to me is "how or why it started"? Perhaps time and further
research will yeild the answer.

Lowell